Jun 15, 2008
I recently purchased my new system build, which consisted of:

Intel Q9450
Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4
Visiontek Radeon HD4870
Corsair Dominator RAM DDR2-8500 (2x2GB)
Corsair 750w PSU
WD 640GB HD

However, after some testing it seems that the gigabyte board is DOA - system does not post with only 24 pin power connector in, and system powers on and off repeatedly with 2x4 pin +12V also in. I also tested it with an OCZ GameXStream 650W power supply with the same results.

In trying to figure out what went wrong, I found some complaints that the Gigabyte GA boards have compatibility issues with Corsair RAM.

I don't think it's the cause of the system's failure to post/repeated powering on and off (I can't test it because I don't have any other DDR2 on hand), but this somewhat alters my purchase. I want maximally compatible stuff!

Everything was purchased at NewEgg, so at this point I have two options:

1) RMA the Gigabyte board and return the Corsair RAM and buy a different brand;

or 2) Keep the Corsair RAM, return the Gigabyte board, and buy the Asus Rampage. I'm also open to other suggestions.

Thanks!

LsRamAir

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2008
Im using a X48-DQ6 board with the same ram (except mines 2x1GB)... and it works well and overclocks great. Unless the ram is actually bad, it is probably compatible.

rgsaunders

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007
A. Its normal for it not to post if you only have the 24 pin connector in.
B. Have you tried booting with just one memory module?
If B works, go into bios, set memory settings manually, ensuring that the correct ddr voltage is set (2.1V for this memory) . Do your initial setup with memory speed set to 800, memory voltage to 2.1V. After you get things playing nice, then you can manually change the settings for the faster memory speed. One thing to remember, default DDR2 voltage is 1.8V, so you will probably have to set the voltage in bios before anything else will play nice, that is why I say try booting with only one module so that you can get into bios and change things.

sciggy

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
I have X48-DQ6 and Corsair dominator XMS ram 2x2gb CL4 and it worked perfectly. I had to go into bios to set proper voltage so that it would support the CL4 timings, but other than that it worked flawlessley.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Try resetting the BIOS using the CMOS reset pins on the mobo. Let the mobo POST cycle a few times with no RAM installed. Install one stick of RAM and see if you can get into BIOS. If so, set the voltage control to manual and set the RAM voltage to +0.4V, that will give you 1.8V + 0.4V = 2.2V. Then install the second stick.

chewger

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
OK, thanks! I did try with one sticks and two sticks in every possible arrangement with the same problem. I will however do as Zorg suggested. I've already reset the CMOS but haven't let it power on and off over and over again yet - I wasn't sure if it was safe.

Based on what I've seen here, it seems to be suggested that the motherboard is failing to pony up the correct voltage for the corsair RAM. I don't know much about voltage/RAM timings, though.

A question about RAM settings: are they going to be the same across all motherboards? Could I find good timings/voltages for my RAM somewhere?

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I have Q6600/P350DQ6s sitting side by side. Neither had any problem at first. Recently, I reset the BIOS to optimum defaults and it wouldn't boot. I did the cycle thing with no RAM threw in a stick and it booted. Don't ask me why, because it really makes no sense, but it worked on two occasions.

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Click the PRODUCTS link at the link below and find your product. Memory PDFs are attached.

http://www.corsairmemory.com/

Your powering off and on could be a shorting or grounding issue. Can you try posting with ONLY the CPU, 1 module, and the video card with the MOBO outside your case on a non-conductive surface. If it fails, clear the bios. If it still fails, clear bios and then try the other module.

Do you have access to a different DDR2 module to test in the MOBO?

Forums: http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=3612eb65e21932e0c62f8c1392f88f06&forumid=128

So far, I am not seeing any complaints of compatibility with any of our memory and Gigabyte MOBOs. If you continue to have issues we can do an RMA if you think the memory is bad.

chewger

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
Thanks for the suggestions all! I went ahead and tried, to no avail. The perpetual power on/off occurs with every hardware arrangement.

This definitely seems like a power issue with the motherboard, so it will have to be RMA'd or returned.

Are there any suggestions for a different motherboard? or is the Gigabyte my best choice?