In-Desk Computer - Heat Concerns

Apr 23, 2018
I've been toying around for a while now with the idea of building a custom desk with my PC integrated into it. I've watched some videos and read some articles of other people's experiences doing this - one trend I've noticed is that everyone seems to simply attach their components to the desk as they would to a case. In other words, there is no aluminium case acting as an enormous heat sink.

I'd always assumed that was a thoroughly necessary aspect to a PC, but now I'm not so sure. Assuming the in-desk PC has decent ventilation and circulation (it would be fan-cooled in my case), would that be fine? Would I need to take any special considerations to ensure nothing overheated?

(this is a gaming PC, so we're talking some pretty high-tier components)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Most cases are majority plastic, only the frame being metal. So no, the case is not a giant heat-sink. Case cooling is the responsibility of any case fans, many pre-builts having just a rear exhaust.

Heat rises. So any heat inside of any box will naturally rise to the top and collect there. A rear exhaust creates a vacuum by its face, nature abhorring a vacuum will fill it with the nearest available air, the heated air at the top of the case. Which gets removed and refilled in a constant process. The addition of a front intake forces cooler air into the box, to take the place of the exhausted hot air.

A case is nothing more than a fancy box to hold the interior components and direct airflow in/out. You can do the same in a desk, gumball machine, chest of drawers, file cabinet or even wide open mounted to a wall. All you need is something to hold the components and a source of airflow to remove any heat. Other that that, only your imagination will be a limiting factor

Ralston18

Titan
In agreement with @USAFRet.

I just googled "built in desk computer" and simply looked at images.

Designs and builds were much more elaborate than I expected.

Do keep in mind the need to open or access for repairs and replacements. Do not inadvertently "box" yourself in to where maintenance and cleaning is cumbersome and/or difficult.