[SOLVED] In game performance issues when streaming and recording

DyslexicSpid3r

Prominent
Mar 15, 2019
Hi so I have an i9 9900k and rtx 2080ti. I bought the build so that I could game, stream and record fortnite at the same time. I've been using the new nvenc encoder to steeam and record 900p60 6k bitrate at the same time. The stream looks great but I'm taking too big of an in game performance hit. Being that fortnite is GPU intensive, would using my i9 to record the stream improve my in game? I've already capped the in game frames to 180 instead of my usual 240 which has helped. I guess I'm just looking for the best way to maximize in game performance while streaming and recording at the same time. Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated

I'm currently getting about 40-50% load on my CPU and 70-90% load on my GPU when all this is running

Solution
Make sure you're running 32gig of fast ram and your drives are SSD's...preferably NVME M.2 drives to maximize write performance. You might want to back off on the 900p60 6k setting...900p @ 30 or even 720P @ 60 might be a better option on a single GPU...especially with trying to record at the same time.
Hi so I have an i9 9900k and rtx 2080ti. I bought the build so that I could game, stream and record fortnite at the same time. I've been using the new nvenc encoder to steeam and record 900p60 6k bitrate at the same time. The stream looks great but I'm taking too big of an in game performance hit. Being that fortnite is GPU intensive, would using my i9 to record the stream improve my in game? I've already capped the in game frames to 180 instead of my usual 240 which has helped. I guess I'm just looking for the best way to maximize in game performance while streaming and recording at the same time. Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated

I'm currently getting about 40-50% load on my CPU and 70-90% load on my GPU when all this is running
RAM speed and amount also play a role.

Give OBS with quicksync a try, just plug your motherboard into a secondary monitor input.

Reactions: DyslexicSpid3r
Mar 30, 2020

Perhaps you should also consider switching to AMD ryzen if you're thinking seriously about streaming as the extra cores/threads does help out alot. Just an option you should consider

Make sure you're running 32gig of fast ram and your drives are SSD's...preferably NVME M.2 drives to maximize write performance. You might want to back off on the 900p60 6k setting...900p @ 30 or even 720P @ 60 might be a better option on a single GPU...especially with trying to record at the same time.

Reactions: DyslexicSpid3r
Solution

DyslexicSpid3r

Prominent
Mar 15, 2019
Perhaps you should also consider switching to AMD ryzen if you're thinking seriously about streaming as the extra cores/threads does help out alot. Just an option you should consider
Would splitting up the work by letting my GPU stream while my CPU records also help? I am going to go down to 720p60 though as that alone should help a good amount