In game ping is complete garbage when more than 1 person using the wifi

kilfane

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017
So, i live in the middle of nowhere, and we pay for 1.5 mbps internet, but we only get a maximum of 150kbps (Crazy in this day and age, I know), that's 1/10 of what we are paying for, but that's not the problem.

I play games a lot. But whenever someone else is on the internet, it could be them browsing Facebook, watching Youtube, or just loading a normal webpage, My ping in game goes from about 60ms to 1000-2000ms, which as you can guess, makes the game completely unplayable. And also, yes, we use the shitty router that our ISP sent us (Bell). I have tried buying a much better router before but when i tried to install it, it did not work. After an annoyingly long conversation with the customer support at bell, they told us that they don't allow 3rd party routers?! So with that i have no idea what i am supposed to do. Is there a way to, say, reserve a certain amount of our internet for my computer only? or a way to make the internet speed more balanced between devices? I have played around with the router settings for hours looking for something like that but the router was made in like 2005 and is probably the most unintuitive thing i have ever had to configure. So after trying everything to fix this problem, i come to you guys for help, any would be appreciated.

The router model is: Actiontec GT784WN

Solution
Unfortunately, ISP's are allowed to ban third party modems/routers from using their network. It should be in the contract for your service. Lucky for you, you might still be allowed to use that new router (if you still have it). Have you tried running the Actiontec GT784WN in bridge mode?

Essentially, it will use the modem on the GT784WN but the new router (and wireless) for your network. This should at the least help you with sorting out QOS. Since the new router is not visible to the ISP, they can't block your service and it won't be against your contract. Tech support will probably discourage it however.

Try following some guides on this forum:

jdcranke07

Honorable

I have a limited knowledge of networking, but from my experience the ISP can't throttle you if you have a 3rd party modem and router setup. I'm sure that's flawed amateur misinformation, but regardless I digress.

As far as your usage, you won't be able to reserve a specific amount of bandwidth for a certain PC unless your router has the option to put a limit on the amount of data a PC can use. However, this wouldn't work for you since it wouldn't thin out the usage per se, it would allow for full access to the bandwidth until the cap or limit is reached.

The only thing I know you can possibly do is see why your ISP isn't delivering the amount of bandwidth you're paying for and/or switch to a high speed cable ISP, if available.

kilfane

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017

Yea, i see where you are coming from. Tbh you were probably right, the tech support person i was talking to didnt really sound like he knew what he was talking about at all. Its too bad that there is no fix but i only have to put up with it for 1 more year before i move out on my own anyway, so its not that big of a deal. Thanks for your help though!

jdcranke07

Honorable

Yeah. I'm sorry, I couldn't be more help. Maybe someone with more knowledge might be able to figure out a way, but to my knowledge there isn't really a way to do anything. Hope everything works out.

audie-tron25

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015
Unfortunately, ISP's are allowed to ban third party modems/routers from using their network. It should be in the contract for your service. Lucky for you, you might still be allowed to use that new router (if you still have it). Have you tried running the Actiontec GT784WN in bridge mode?

Essentially, it will use the modem on the GT784WN but the new router (and wireless) for your network. This should at the least help you with sorting out QOS. Since the new router is not visible to the ISP, they can't block your service and it won't be against your contract. Tech support will probably discourage it however.

Try following some guides on this forum:
- https://forums.verizon.com/t5/High-Speed-Internet/Actiontec-GT784WNV-Bridging-support-not-useful/td-p/634847

But essentially:
- Set bridge mode on the GT784WN
- Disable Wi-Fi and DHCP (except WAN apparently, if there is the option)
- Connect your new router to the old one (WAN to an ethernet port)

I haven't used the GT784WN before so follow the forum guides closely.

Solution

kilfane

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017

Yes i have a feeling that's exactly what would have worked. Sadly i don't have the better one anymore, but i may buy a new one soon and try that. Thanks for the help and i'l post here if it works

audie-tron25

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015
If you don't have the new one, probably don't worry about it yet. I was thinking that if the new router had both 2.4GHz and 5GHz, it might help with latency a bit since you are gaming.

I would first setup QOS on your router to see if that helps. If it doesn't, there might not be much you can do since your download bandwidth might be saturated (and you can't do anything about that). Have you tried following this guide?
- http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27967474-speed-latency-QOS-settings-for-gaming

TRENDING THREADS