Ryzen 5 2600
16gb ddr4 corsair vengeance ram
XFX rx 5700 xt RAW II
Corsair cx600w psu
1tb m.2 drive
1tb hdd
125 and 250gb ssds
Prime b450m-A Asus MoBo

Im a bit if a newb so bear with me, but im hoping someone could help with my issues.

So i just recently purchased a new graphics card which was the 5700 xt, i had been drooling over this card since it came out and was so happy to upgrade from my little GTX 970 so it finally arrived today and obviously i was happy af lol but i got it installed real quick cuz im impatient af but getting it all set up the card had a few hiccups with the card being insanely overclocked from factory, so I attempted to dumb it down a bit and it seemed to work fine with no crashes or anything until randomly as im chillin on youtube not even with a game open ora anything when my whole pc just shuts itself down, then attempts to reset itself and as it tries to boot up again i hear those heartbreaking sequence of beeps and havw no display letting me know theres a big problem.

So im big sad at this point so i try to do some troubleshooting
I started with the beeps im getting (1 long beep, 3 short beeps) which some forums say it had to do with the gpu and some saying it has to do with ram, but i had this problem when i upgraded the ram earlier this year and remember having the same beeps so im hoping its just the ram

But heres what confuses me. I forgot what i did while testing the ram but i had another beep sequence which was (1 long, 3 short, pause, 1 short) i couldnt really find anything on that but anyways im trying to see if anyones knows if I possibly i fried the ram somehow? Idk if maybe i need to upgrade my psu i saw that 600w is the recommended but i feel like having more hard drives i should have a bigger psu but idk im stressed rn its new years and i was gunna stay up enjoying my new card but here i am with a dead pc :( help please...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Corsair cx600w psu
Low quality psu paired with a high end gpu... Time for a replacement, ASAP.
RX 5700XT pulls significantly - over 50% - more power than your old GTX 970 did.

Let's hope that when your psu threw in the towel, it didn't damage anything else.

16gb ddr4 corsair vengeance ram
Were they packaged together, or did you add/mix memory?

Reactions: Imnotdrunk
Jan 1, 2020
Low quality psu paired with a high end gpu... Time for a replacement, ASAP.
RX 5700XT pulls significantly - over 50% - more power than your old GTX 970 did.

Let's hope that when your psu threw in the towel, it didn't damage anything else.

Were they packaged together, or did you add/mix memory?
When i ugraded my ram earlier this year i bought the same 2 sticks of 8g and one of them came dead so i replaced them with two more new sticks so its the same, but do you think they got fried? If my psu was bad would i still be getting power? And would it still not boot up even with the gpu out if the psu was bad? Sorry for the bombardment but im trying to figure out what i should do before i lug this big thing over to Fry’s to get someone to look at it

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
When i ugraded my ram earlier this year i bought the same 2 sticks of 8g and one of them came dead so i replaced them with two new sticks
Ok.
Aside from bad psus, forced restarts/shutdowns can also be caused by mixing ram kits.
I wanted to be sure you didn't mix/add kit A to kit B, and so on. If they weren't packaged together, then they can still fail, even if they look alike.

Jan 1, 2020
Ok.
Aside from bad psus, forced restarts/shutdowns can also be caused by mixing ram kits.
I wanted to be sure you didn't mix/add kit A to kit B, and so on. If they weren't packaged together, then they can still fail, even if they look alike.
Ok no it was a fresh pack of 2 sticks so no ram mixing here i did the ram tests and it doesnt start with either stick in so is it possible it fried both orrr is it just the psu being bad thats why its not booting?

Jan 1, 2020
Ok.
OKOKOK!!! Big news as i was sitting here trying to get help from a friend and read your guys’ replies i just kept restarting my pc and IT JUST RANDOMLY BOOTED!!! It got stuck on the bios screen so im sitting in the bios right now is there anything i can do?

Jan 1, 2020
Not really?
I think the best thing you can do is go into Radeon Wattman and drop the power limit on the gpu as much as possible.
That might keep the gpu from putting all it's 'weight' on the psu.
Yeah so i restarted it again and it actually got passed the boot screen and then hit the little windows loading circle except the circle was not moving what-so-ever So after a little i hard restarted andddd now im getting the beeps again,, prob gunna take it in and see if we can narrow it down to only being the psu

ChevetteSCx

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019
A few questions...
1.) Did you MANUALLY set the timings for the RAM?
2.) OR Did you :
a.) Let the MOBO set the default? (typically 1600MHz for AM3+ / Looks like 2133MHz on AM4)
b.) Set the BIOS to XMP Timings?
3.) Did you try physically reinstalling the GTX970, to see if it will boot?
4.) Do you have a simple DMM? If so MONITOR the 12V rail (unused 4-pin MOLEX or 6-PIN PCIe will do) as it tries to boot. Does 12V rail stay at 12V +/- 0.3V? Or is it WAY LOW?

ANYHOW, If the PSU is UNDERRATED, OLD or WEAK, what will happen if you LOAD IT ABOVE 70-80% CAPACITY, the output voltage will ''DROOP'', causing more current draw to compensate, causing the voltage to DROOP MORE...etc. This can result in voltage droops in all components throughout the system, until the PSU COMPLETELY UNDERVOLTS outside the ATX SPEC (-5% or 11.4V on the 12V rail, and the UVP shuts it down!! - if it has this!! If NOT then the components will just cease to operate with the low voltages.)

This is bad for any number of reasons, the worst being current spikes/excessive current draw and therefore heat generated in components (MoBo VRMs/CPU/DDR4 RAM/GPU) = VERY BAD!!

REPLACE THE PSU!! PERIOD. ELIMINATE IT AS A POSSIBLE PROBLEM!!
A good, name brand 750W Gold with 7-to-10-year manufacturer warranty. (eVGA, SeaSonic, Corsair, Thermaltake, etc.) will do. Look around, sometimes the price difference between a 650W, 750W and 850W in one manufacturer series can be as little as $10-to-$20, if they are on sale. So, while you CAN HAVE TOO MUCH CAPACITY in a PSU (You DO NOT NEED for example, an eVGA 1000P2, 1300G2, or 1600T2; SeaSonic SSR-1200PD for this setup...a ''bonus'' 100W-to-200W headroom on this setup will not cause any issues.)

GOOD LUCK!