In Pictures: 19 Ways To Recycle Old, Unused Hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamebrigada

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
#13 you aren't supposed to close side vents for a kebab cook thingie. You want that for fresh air to the coals so that the temperature goes way up. Hes doing it perfectly right.

Ramar

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
My town just finished a three year project building a new parking building and some park and office space, and used the extra pipes to build an artistic statue featuring RGB LED's refracting wonderfully off of old smashed CD-R's through holes cut in the pipes.

Wish I had a picture, but it's pretty neat.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
Another good way is to either give away or sell old working components or systems to vintage computing users who still enjoy using older systems.
Yes, I still enjoy playing an old DOS game now and then on an older system
like a 386,486 or Pentium (although those are not really considered vintage systems being too modern).It's much better than wasting something that works (even though obsolete).

ecnovaec

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
the coffee table is amazing, that youtube video was absolutely horrendous, and if they actually ate the meat from that PC grill they probably got very sick because they clearly didn't strip the powdercoating off

Flamango

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
I actually think that the Radiohead cover is amazing. Of course, this is coming from a die hard Radiohead fan - and a complete hardware nerd, so there you go.

unholygregor

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
[citation][nom]Flamango[/nom]I actually think that the Radiohead cover is amazing. Of course, this is coming from a die hard Radiohead fan - and a complete hardware nerd, so there you go.[/citation]
that makes no sense.....

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
A lot of "Why the hell would someone do this?" and a few funny ones. The only one that actually seems cool to me is the coffee table. Now if I really wanted to go all out and make my house look "techy", I'd buy one of those. I did LOL at the CRT monitor turned into a rat cage.

G

I am missing the Enterprise made of an old floppy disk
Here is my version: http://neustadt.ne.funpic.de/
How to make one yourself: http://www.asciipr0n.com/archive/0013/bonnie/craft/

need4speeds

Distinguished
The item in number 13. Please do not do this! Computer cases are galvanized with a lead/zinc mixture to keep them from rusting. If you know the person with this homemade grill please do tell them that. The charcoal will make the lead/zinc coating burn and evaporate off sending a mist of lead and zinc oxide into the air. In fact if you are working on older computer cases you should wash after since the lead does rub off on your hands. The plastic from computer monitors are often coated with lead to help shield the crt from x-rays as well. The plastic is mixed with lead. A good thing to know before you start cutting and grinding this toxic plastic. Using a old computer case or monitor shell as a planter would also be a bad idea since lead would leach into the soil. REMEMBER SAFETY FIRST GUYS AND GALS!

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
LOL to number 13 , one it's agreat idea , 2 kevin you obviously enver barbqued much before , most really good coalbased grills have "air door" in line with the coals to allow air to flow over the coals ,because if you shut of air to them compeltely they stop burning, remeber fire needs air. though would be better if this guy covered the PSU hole and half the pci slots , as is he is getting way to much air flowing to his coals. half the pci slots left open would make a great barbque grill , but oh well not like i need it i got one of the greatest barbeque grills in teh state of texas , my uncle and grand pa made it eyars ago , with some good wielding and a few peices of really big oil pipe casing. thing is freaking heavy as hell , but well it wont fall apart like those cheap peices of crap that walmart and kmart are pushing.

Status
Not open for further replies.