In Pictures: External Data Storage Through The Ages

Status
Not open for further replies.

ltdan

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
I still have my SuperDisk drive, I used it until a few years ago to read old floppies. 750MB was HUGE back then, now it's just a drop in the TerraBuckit.

pharoahhalfdead

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
Wow, so many painful memories. I remember using multiple floppy disks consecutively just to install a single program.

Often people use the phrase, "The good ol' days," but I don't think that applies here." Nevertheless, enjoyable article.

runswindows95

Distinguished
[citation][nom]GI_JONES[/nom]I used to work for a place that had a digital camera that used 3.5in floppies for storage.[/citation]

I remember those Sony Mavica cameras. They didn't take the best photos, but data transfer was easy.

Also, it's scary that the 3.5" floppy lasted the longest so far. I finally throw out all my floppy discs last year. When you got 1TB sitting on your desk, and 8GB on your keys, what good is 1.4MB now. I still use CD-RW's and DVD+RW's though. I've got a lot of projects I burn to them, so worse case scenario, I will only have to fix them to a certain point, and not redo them all.

lemlo

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
I can remember installing Os/2 warp (my fav os of all time) multiple times on 3.5s. It took foreeeever! We're talking stacks apon stacks of disks to get the entire os installed. Life was good :)

lemlo

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
Used to use 5.25's too and a real good game could be on 3-5 of those disks too back in the 80's. Cga was heavy stuff i tell ya.

Hmm...what about Millenniata M-DISC? It's pretty cool :)

1000 Year lifespan! M-DISC - http://millenniata.com/m-disc/ Example LG's WH12LS39 Blu-Ray - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136241

I've used a lot of those over the years, it's kinda making me feel old. Yeah, I remember the 'stack' of floppies to install Office, PageMaker, etc. I too remember the 'fun days' of modems to download OS updates...geez. Think happy thoughts.

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
5.25 inch floppies have lived much longer than 1982. I still had such a floppy in 1993 for example - in a newly built 486 computer, side by side with the 3.5 inch floppy.

Also, 3.5 inch floppies reached 2.88 MB. That standard (introduced by IBM) didn't become popular, but it did exist for a while.

Finally, the most important form of external storage today is missing - external HDDs. These go up to 5TB at present IIRC.

gam0reily

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
Its pathetic that I had use for floppies until 2006. I had a floppy disk reader in my old system, which produced iritating noises. I took it out a year ago from that system.

Nibhor

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
My Commodore64 used to use common audio tapes before I upgraded to 5.25 floppy disks.

It was really easy to make a copy with a simple double tape recorder.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
I remember years ago, when my dad was frustrated that my teacher demanded us to use flash drives instead of floppy disks.

"Floppy disks are so cheap! Why does your teacher dislike it?"

Oh, and we also have a Laserdisc player and a few musical videos featuring the non-CGI old version of Alvin and the Chipmunks.

teddymines

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
[citation][nom]pharoahhalfdead[/nom]Wow, so many painful memories. I remember using multiple floppy disks consecutively just to install a single program.[/citation]
The infamous Floppy Shuffle! I still recall buying 50 generic 5.25" floppies in a bag from a guy at college in 1987.

What about Bernoulli drives? Available in the 80s, these external hard drives took cartridges containing the media, somewhat like oversize floppies. There were a couple of other, similar devices, but I don't remember their name (even though I had one, with 5MB capacity). I would also have expected to see the variety of cassette-type tape drives that became available, typically as backup devices.

I still think it is amazing how much Enable 1.1 could do, and it loaded from a handful of 360K floppies.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]maxinexus[/nom]Remember the times when windows 95 was on like 15 1.44 floppy disks...installing a windows was quite a workout lol[/citation]

Imagine installing Windows 7, using floppy disks.

Status
Not open for further replies.