In Pictures: Puget Systems' 16-Core Genesis II Quiet Edition

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

universal remonster

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
I don't think I could tell you the last time I have seen the owner of a company such as this get on a comment board to follow up on article, comments, and concerns. I have to give him a ton of praise and respect for dropping in as well as offering the companies detailed stats on failure rates etc.. It is a shame that he has to take time to clear the air when Generation Me, entitled, dbags like Razor512 start spewing crap about things that they have no experience with. All because this doesn't meet your use case and your WalMart budget, and because your eMachine customer service experience has sucked in the past.. Like others have already said, you get what you pay for and there are several reasons why the markup is justified to those who are in the market for a machine such as this one. I guess all of the leg work and man hours put towards testing multiple configurations, parts, airflow, acoustics, so that you don't have to...on top of assembling, loading, testing, and the obvious attention to customer satisfaction... it should all just be free, right?

Oscarcharliezulu

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
Really nice build and something I'd love to own if I had the pesos. At least I get the benefit of your research and ideas so I can put together and in my case tune my current build. My current build is cool but I now need to try and make it quiet - it's too loud for late night work with kids trying to sleep.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007

You most likely never read anything (or at most 1 or 2 sentences) before coming up with your post.

I have not worked specifically with a system built by puget, so I have not had the chance to deal with an after warranty repair on a computer built by them. I have generalized too much, but from my experience, mainly with a range of low cost computer manufactures (and alienware and apple being the higher end of the prebuilt ) it is common to run into the issues I mentioned (where the user ends up spending a price premium to essentially give up warranty coverage)

They did not make it clear on the repair process after the warranty has ended on their site, but they cleared it up in the comments, and knowing that the parts do not lose their original warranty, solves the main issue with getting a prebuilt system.

All system manufactures will mark up the price (that is nothing new), but I don't think they are marking the price up due to the cost of researching the components needed to build the system. if it did then no individual on earth would ever be able to build their own computer and have it work for more than a few days.

The reason why building your own system has become so accessible these days is because the companies which make the various components are conforming to standards.

(motherboard layouts and cases even comply to standards about airflow needed to cool the various motherboard components)

I also never claimed that I am the type to buy a system from walmart. I am willing to spend enough to get a system that meets of quality and performance standards. But given the mentality of a user who likes to build their own computer, it is an uphill battle to get them to purchase a system with that kind of markup especially when pretty much all of the components can be purchased and assembled yourself and thus get the same quality.

(unless puget is contacting component manufactures and having them create a special product line just for them where the motherboards are specially designed to have thicker copper layers, 125c 20,000 hour capacitors instead of the 105c 10,000 hour ones, rubidium frequency standard's for the clock, meteorology grade wires and connectors for all components, custom hand made reference grade resistors (commonly used to calibrate laboratory test equipment) and many other quality changes)

It just seems like they are building high end systems using unmodified high quality parts they they know to have a low failure rate.

My reply was mainly based on a point of view of the system being targeted at users who do not own a company, meaning tighter budgets and price limits, and in that case, for the system shown on the article, a user falling in that category will likely be better off buying the parts and building the same system, then using the extra money for future upgrades, repairs, or get even higher end components.

This has nothing to do with being poor, but it has to do with an understanding that money is not unlimited, and home users are not able to make system purchases in the same way a large graphic movie studio, or a hospital will where they will think nothing of dumping even twice the cost of this system into a single system purchase including replacement parts just to keep on hand.

PS when you buy a motherboard, including in it's price, is the cost of developing a board that will conform to standards and work properly with a wide range of compatible CPU's, Memory and a range of other components, so when you buy the parts that say they work together, they actually worth together. (same with many other components)

dfryda

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
I also have a dual Intel Xeon E5-2687W workstation. My system is very quite and the CPU cooling fans pull cool air from the front of the computer. I have a Supermicro Motherboard X9DAi and case. If you want to check out an awesome case with dual 1400 watt power supplies, check out the Supermicro case 747TG-R1400B-SQ. I can hardly hear this machine, even when running Seti@home with all 32 threads at 100%

dfryda

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
I also have a dual Intel Xeon E5-2687W workstation. My system is very quite and the CPU cooling fans pull cool air from the front of the computer. I have a Supermicro Motherboard X9DAi and case. If you want to check out an awesome case with dual 1400 watt power supplies, check out the Supermicro case 747TG-R1400B-SQ. I can hardly hear this machine, even when running Seti@home with all 32 threads at 100%

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007

Those cases might not look the best but they actually cool pretty well and dampen noise for the money. I used them for a few builds. regardless of how the case looks, you will usually only look at it the first few times and never again if nothing goes wrong.

unless you spend a ton of money, it is hard to get a great looking case that also cools well.

I would note that for companies that need a computer this expensive the warranty is pointless for them. If they have a problem they need it fixed that day. Waiting two or more weeks for an RMA replacement part is not an option. Even the factory warranty won't be used.

They are going to pay whatever it costs to have a technician down there that day to replace whatever part is broken. At the very latest the next day if a same day fix is not possible because of local availability and a part needs to be overnighted.

This is because the cost in downtime of even a couple days far outstrips that of money saved by a warranty repair. That being said it still makes sense to build it yourself. Since you can still RMA the part afterwards then keep the replacement as a spare or sell it on eBay and get part of your money back.

To the manager ordering the computer. They would rather have a computer sent to them from a manufacturer ready to go. Rather than spending thousands on parts in the hopes that their employee can build it. At the same time that employee is not making the company money. If the company is big enough to have full time IT staff. They are not worried about an extra $2K. The overworked and underpaid IT staff could give a s&*t less about saving the company $2K and adding more work for themselves.

stevelord

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Anyone who thinks an RMA for a part takes 2 weeks obviously doesn't work in IT at all. I get replacement parts next day if I need them. Hell, I can even get a technician to do it for me if I don't have the time or something a little more complex like a laptop screen. Also, any IT department worth squat has contingency plans for their equipment and their users.

cypeq

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
I wish Tom's would fix that repost on refresh... c'mon it's here from day one of comments... get a grip guys change that outdated code.

simmiy

Honorable
Jul 2, 2013
One thing the author can do is go into the future to 2017 and try to predict what kind of build Puget System will come up with and what will the price be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS