Question In what way HDMI cable is faulty?

Aug 3, 2024
Request you all to go thru this observation and help me understand in what way cable is bad. Thanks

I have a 4 socket (individual switches type of) electrical extension board in which I plug in my Desktop PC, TV and my Satellite TV Box (STB).
My FHD TV has 2 HDMI in ports. I use it as a PC Monitor on HDMI-2 and my STB goes into HDMI-1.

When PC is on and is displaying on HDMI 2, if I power on STB from the main switch on the board, then as the STB powers on, the TV screen momentarily goes blank and comes back instantly. TV does not lose power, just display blacks for a moment.
Now I have a few HDMI cables, ones that are available for just 2 – 3 USD as well as others that are for 10 – 12 USD. The observation is that it only happens with cheaper HDMI cables. But it does not happen with cable that is available for 10 – 12 USD.

I have confirmed this after a few try-outs. Ironically there’s nothing wrong with HDMI cable otherwise. It just works perfectly. So I am trying to understand what is exactly happening here when STB powers on.
Also this issue does not occur if the STB powered on without HDMI cable. So it means as soon as it powers on it’s sending something on HDMI 1 that is causing momentary loss of signal on HDMI 2.

The issue does not occur if I give HDMI output of my Laptop not connected to mains. So I guess it may also have something to do with mains supply. I checked the earthing and there is no issue with that.