inaccessible_boot_device windows 10

hyroncore

Commendable
Dec 17, 2016
I am currently unable to load windows 10 as I keep suffering an inaccessible_boot_device error.

I have tried all the suggested fixes and at this time am unable to download a new recovery disk as i have very limited data allowances via mobile data.

I have tried restarting in safe mode and experience the same issue again.

chkdsk /f does not work as it says the disk is write protected

When using the cmd prompt I see it show x:\ instead of C:\ when checking that the hard disk is available DISKPART shows volume 0 as my dvd drive volume 1 C:\ with a label of windows rese and 400MB storage volume 2 as D:\ with 18000 which i believe is the bulk of the 2tb hdd and volume 3 as E:\ with 100mb

all volumes are listing as healthy which i assume is a good thing.

I read on these forums that this issue can occur when the IDE\SATA drivers corrupt and I wonder if there is a way to repair or reinstall them if they are within the driver storage without using safe mode or a new install disk.

I have tried sfc as well but for some reason the command fails to work and I am stuck as to where to go from here

Solution
4 partitions is normal for a win 10 install. 3 are really small and hidden from view normally.

I don't know if this command will work, I know you can do this online but not sure about offline. You may need to alter c in the path to X. I have never tried this... I normally run DISM online. This is how to install CAB files from command prompt
The spacing needs to be exact or it won't understand the commands correctly
Use command prompt,

Lets assume your file is myupdate.cab and is located in C:\update\

dism /offline /add-package /packagepath:C:\update\myupdate.cab

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/how-do-i-install-cab-update-files

Colif

Win 11 Master
The only fix i have that i know should work requires a fresh install which is rather hard with no installer and with limited data download since its about 3gb minimum. This error annoys me...

I don't understand how you can do fix no 1 if you can't get into windows: http://www.toppctech.com/inaccessible-boot-device-error-fixed/

hyroncore

Commendable
Dec 17, 2016
Hey Colif thanks for the try had already found that link heh. Question is there a way through the command prompt to run the device manager? I ran notepad and saw 4 partitions on my HDD which itself is odd.

I have the SATA driver sitting there as a cab file but no way to use it. Any thoughts?

Colif

Win 11 Master
4 partitions is normal for a win 10 install. 3 are really small and hidden from view normally.

I don't know if this command will work, I know you can do this online but not sure about offline. You may need to alter c in the path to X. I have never tried this... I normally run DISM online. This is how to install CAB files from command prompt
The spacing needs to be exact or it won't understand the commands correctly
Use command prompt,

Lets assume your file is myupdate.cab and is located in C:\update\

dism /offline /add-package /packagepath:C:\update\myupdate.cab

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/how-do-i-install-cab-update-files

Solution

farooq93

Commendable
Jan 15, 2017
1. On the page which says "restart" and "advanced options", click advanced options.
2. Troubleshoot
3. Advanced Options
4. Startup settings
5.Restart
6. Select option (4) Enable safe mode only
7. Reboot PC
Should work now.

Colif

Win 11 Master

that is if start up options appears as a choice, often it isn't a choice if you boot off a USB for instance. its why I stopped offering it as a choice.