Incomplete formatting of portable hard disk

Jul 5, 2018
I was trying to create a back up partition in my laptop. In doing so, unfortunately I selected the wrong location and started formatting my Seagage portable external hard disk that has the capacity of 500GB with all my important documents. The moment I realized my wrongdoing, I immediately cancelled the formatting before completion. When I checked my files in the external hard disk they were not there. Moreover, the size was reduced to 32GB. Eventhough, tried to recover my files using data recovery software thinking that they are deleted, my efforts ended up in vainness.

Appreciate your in advance.

Anghesom

Solution
If you already tried recovery software, bring the drive to a PC repair shop that does data recovery, or better yet a place that specializes in data recovery.

Few lessons here, "important documents" are not to be saved to one spot, especially an external drive. Also that external drive should only be connected to the computer when needed, not connected while you are doing work on a new partition. Also a new partition is useless for backups since it's on the same disk as the other partition, so if the drive dies, that "backup" is also dead.

Your files should be on the laptop, backups on the external drive, another backup on cloud storage which you can get for free from many places.
If you already tried recovery software, bring the drive to a PC repair shop that does data recovery, or better yet a place that specializes in data recovery.

Few lessons here, "important documents" are not to be saved to one spot, especially an external drive. Also that external drive should only be connected to the computer when needed, not connected while you are doing work on a new partition. Also a new partition is useless for backups since it's on the same disk as the other partition, so if the drive dies, that "backup" is also dead.

Your files should be on the laptop, backups on the external drive, another backup on cloud storage which you can get for free from many places.

Solution