[SOLVED] Inconsistencies with DirectX

smmm

Prominent
Aug 14, 2019
I recently got an old Windows 10 HP laptop with a Intel Core 2 Duo and an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 as a second computer. As stated in the title, I've run into some weird inconsistencies with games that have DirectX 11 in the system requirements. As far as I know, the HD 4650 in this computer only supports up to DirectX 10.1. However, I am able to successfully run some games that say they require DX11, Scrap Mechanic and Assetto Corsa, but other games that also require it, BeamNG.Drive and Dirt 4, give an unable to launch message, saying that I don't have DirectX 11 device.
When I enter dxdiag into Run, it shows that my current version is DirectX 12. Why do some games that say they need DX11 work and others don't, and why does it show up as having DX12?

Thanks.

By the way I know BeamNG would have no chance of running on a computer of this spec :D it was an experiment.

Solution
DX 12 is the version installed in Windows. That does not mean the video card has DX 12 features in it.

What games can run and what can't depend on the game maker, you would have to check with them why things work when they say it should not on DX 10.

I don't see anything about Scrap Mechanic needed DX 11 from a few places it looks to use OpenGL. Assetto Corsa same thing, it needs DX 10.1 From that, neither game needs DX 11.

Here are the Assetto Corsa System Requirements (Minimum)
  • CPU: AMD Athlon X2 2.8 GHZ, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHZ
  • CPU SPEED: Info
  • RAM: 2 GB
  • VIDEO CARD: DirectX 10.1 (e.g. AMD Radeon HD 6450, Nvidia GeForce GT 460)
DX 12 is the version installed in Windows. That does not mean the video card has DX 12 features in it.

What games can run and what can't depend on the game maker, you would have to check with them why things work when they say it should not on DX 10.

I don't see anything about Scrap Mechanic needed DX 11 from a few places it looks to use OpenGL. Assetto Corsa same thing, it needs DX 10.1 From that, neither game needs DX 11.

Here are the Assetto Corsa System Requirements (Minimum)
  • CPU: AMD Athlon X2 2.8 GHZ, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHZ
  • CPU SPEED: Info
  • RAM: 2 GB
  • VIDEO CARD: DirectX 10.1 (e.g. AMD Radeon HD 6450, Nvidia GeForce GT 460)

Last edited:
Reactions: lynx1021
Solution

smmm

Prominent
Aug 14, 2019
I got the DX11 requirements from the Steam page but that appears to be inaccurate as you showed. In the future I'll check with the games' website or other sources for DirectX requirements. Thanks, that really clears it up.