[SOLVED] Inconsistent BSOD when gaming, unsure how to find the problem

Dec 20, 2021
I've been having some computer problems for about a month now, ranging from annoyance to the aforementioned BSOD.

The problem started with my monitor. When I turn the computer on or take it out of sleep mode, the monitor will flicker on for a second then immediately go dark. I can solve the issue by turning it off and on again several times. I've unplugged and replugged the cable but that didn't help. I don't know if this is related to the crashes but I figured I'd mention it just in case.

The crashes began shortly after. I downloaded Dark Souls 3 from steam, only for my PC to overheat and crash. I dedusted and it was able to install, though I had to be paranoid about running any other programs during the process. Oddly enough, I've installed other large games since without issue since. Problems here continued when I ran the game. I installed an overhaul mod for the game and my cpu was pushing 80 degrees. For reference, my normal temps when gaming are 60-70. Sometimes the computer would BSOD here, or just restart itself without the blue screen. When I tested another game, Nioh 2, my computer ran fine and maintained the normal 70 degrees so I figured it was just the mod being unstable and poorly optimized, especially since it only happened in certain areas of the game while others my temps never went past 60.

Now however, issues have risen again. I installed a third game, God Eater 3, to play with a friend and this is where things start getting weird. Sometimes the game crashes at the end of a mission in the game. One time the computer on rebooting was at 80 degrees and crashed a second time. Another time it was at 70 degrees when it rebooted after crashing. Sometimes the game runs like a dream with no issues, even after over 6 hours in one session. I also noticed that my control game, Nioh 2, was now hitting around 75 degrees.

I've also noticed that sometimes one of the fans in the computer doesn't turn on when the computer wakes up. I'm assuming it's the processor fan as I'm fairly sure the computer overheated that time but it doesn't happen frequently so I've not had a chance to check.

I have no idea what could be causing the problems so I don't know what to do to solve them. I've used HWInfo to confirm that the heat issues are indeed the processor and that the GPU is fine. I've compared memory usage to my friend (who has had no issues) and noticed no problems, though this was for installing games not playing them. I've also used memtest86 to check if it's a RAM problem. The check ran for an hour and 47 minutes and had 0 errors so it's likely not that. I don't know anything about computer troubleshooting and I wasn't able to find anything like my issue, though that might just be me not knowing how to phrase this easily. The computer is 5+ years old so it's possible that the computer is just getting old and parts are starting to fail but I wouldn't know how to test that either.

Any troubleshooting assistance you can provide would be appreciated.

Solution
set this up for next BSOD
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD
  1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

How many fans in the case? the CPU fan should have...

Colif

Win 11 Master
what are specs of the PC? what parts are in it?

So all the temps mentioned are CPU?

have you cleaned dust out of fans and heatsinks as it can/will increase noise and heat.

be good to know which fan isn't always starting.

Dec 20, 2021
The processor is an i5 6500, the graphics card is a Geforce gtx 980, I believe of EVGA make. I'm not sure how to check for the specific part model for things, the best google is showing me is how to find the processor.

Yes, all temps mentioned are for the CPU

I dedusted it around a month ago when issues first began and my general temps haven't risen since then aside from the change to temps in Nioh 2. I could try another dedusting but I'm not sure how impactful that would be given the lower temps at some of the crashes.

Is there any other info I could track down to help diagnose this?

Colif

Win 11 Master
set this up for next BSOD
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD
  1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

How many fans in the case? the CPU fan should have an intake fan blowing cool air at it and an exhaust to remove it, at very least.

I've also noticed that sometimes one of the fans in the computer doesn't turn on when the computer wakes up.
how do you notice? can you see it or can you tell another way?
hwinfo should show all fan speeds on the sensors view

hwinfo should be able to tell you what motherboard you have, on the system summary page

Solution
Dec 20, 2021
Okay I'll set up the memory dump, though it may be a while before I have results since the crashes aren't consistent and various holiday obligations.

EDIT: never mind, luckily for us it was already making minidumps by default, here's the download link
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c5l89k512lpw3nc/Minidumps.zip?dl=0

I admit I'm guessing on it but I can tell by the sound. Normally when I turn my computer on I can quite distinctly hear a fan running. Sometimes however I do not hear the fan and the computer is silent. Considering the computer was silent when God Eater 3 crashed at 80 degrees, it seems a natural conclusion to me.

View: https://imgur.com/twKF7T7

Here's my readout from HWinfo, figured a screenshot would be better in case I accidentally leave out something without realizing that it's important.

There are 3 fans in the computer, not including the heat sink on the processor (default that game with the processor) and the fans on the GPU. I'll be honest, I don't know much about the setup. The PC is a custom build but the assembly was done alongiside a friend and the tower and fans were obtained from another friend who gave up halfway through building his own PC. It's worth noting that I've never had problems like this before now so I'm inclined to believe the fans are set up well.