Question Inconsistent fps while gaming, not due to overheating

Oct 16, 2020
Till a couple of weeks back, gaming on my laptop was working smoothly. After a windows 2004 feature update it resulted in inconsistent fps (from 60 to 18 to 56 to 25 etc), while gaming. I monitored the cpu and gpu temps and they stay between 65-75 C. I even tried running the games on lower specs but the games still stutter a lot. All the drivers are up to date, both the graphic and display. The system is also up to date.

Games : GTA V, Fifa 20, Project Cars 2, Watchdogs 2 etc
It doesnt seem to be a hdd/ssd issue either as i have a couple of games on ssd and even they are facing the same issue.

PC Specs
HP Pavilion 15, RAM: 8 gb; ssd: 256 gb (os on this); hdd: 1 Tb
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 1650
CPU: Amd Ryzen 5 3550H with Radeon Vega 8

PS: i know gaming on laptop isnt ideal, but the games i am running arent very high spec either.

Hey there,

Whilst those games aren't the most demanding they will still use a lot of resource, CPU/GPU wise.

It could very well be you've only got 8gbs of ram. A lot of games now, will use upwards of 8gbs system ram whilst gaming. You could look at adding in another 8gbs, and see if it makes a difference.

I have an Omen 15, which came with 8gbs. It has an I7 9750h CPU and GTX1660ti GPU. Plenty powerful for gaming, but for the games I play, the 8gbs maxed out and caused stuttering and frame drops. Once I popped the extra 8gbs in, it all stopped immediately.