Inconsistent internet with Atheros AR938x chipset WLAN adapter

thesheldor

Commendable
Sep 7, 2016
I recently installed a TP Link N900 wireless adapter and have noticed that my internet speeds have become very inconsistent. Certain pages will take a very long time to load, I am unable to get 192.168.1.1 to load and when playing games, I get "rubberbanding" quite frequently despite maintaining a relatively normal ping.

At first, I thought that it was just a problem with the network but on my laptop and my housemate's laptop, the speeds were much more consistent and none of these problems existed.

Some things I have tried:
-Updating the firmware on the router
-Going back to ethernet (no problems there and I would just use ethernet but my router is on a different floor from my desktop)
-Updating the drivers (The drivers provided by TP Link only go up to Windows 8.1 and it was what I was originally using. Because it uses the Atheros chipset, I have tried several iterations of the atheros drivers for windows 10 but all of them are providing the same results)

I have suspicions that the problem has to do with either the adapter itself or the drivers but for the life of me, I cannot seem to find a solution. I would appreciate any help possible. Thanks in advance!

Intel Core i7 6700k
16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM
MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Wireless Adapter in question: http://www.tp-link.us/products/details/cat-5504_TL-WDN4800.html

Router Details:
Linksys e2500

ISP: TekSaavy Cable

Router devices:16

Solution
Try to set the router to use 20mhz channels and try channels 1,6,11...in particular you want to try 1 & 11 first. Make sure you have a different ssid on the 2.4g and 5g bands so you can force your PC to connect to the 2.4g radio.

2.4g tends to have the best coverage in most houses and you should get slightly stronger signal levels that using 5g.

Also make sure the antennas on your computer are not being blocked. Putting a desktop under a desk against a wall pretty much blocks the antennas from all sides. If at all possible you want the back of the computer to face the router. Laptops have a much better antenna position so they tend no be blocked as easy.....well I suppose if you craw under the desk and use it you would have...
Try to set the router to use 20mhz channels and try channels 1,6,11...in particular you want to try 1 & 11 first. Make sure you have a different ssid on the 2.4g and 5g bands so you can force your PC to connect to the 2.4g radio.

2.4g tends to have the best coverage in most houses and you should get slightly stronger signal levels that using 5g.

Also make sure the antennas on your computer are not being blocked. Putting a desktop under a desk against a wall pretty much blocks the antennas from all sides. If at all possible you want the back of the computer to face the router. Laptops have a much better antenna position so they tend no be blocked as easy.....well I suppose if you craw under the desk and use it you would have issues.

Other than this there is not a lot you can do. Win10 latest update a month or so ago messed up lots of people but you would think there would be patches drivers if your chip was affected.

Solution