Dec 24, 2020
My build
Motherboard: MSI B450 tomahawk
Cpu: Ryzen 5 2600
GPU: gtx 1070
PSU: Corsair 850W GQ (overkill i know)
Storage: 1TB 970 Samsung EVO PLUS NVME
Ram: 16GB 3200mhz Corsair Vengeance

So as the title says, about 50% of the time when booting my pc from being fully shut down the red VGA light on my motherboard will light up and prevent my pc from completing its boot, it will just sit at a black screen until i press the power button at the top of my case. I've tried taking my GPU out, spraying dust out of the PCI slot and re-seating it but that only worked for the first two or three boots now its starting to happen again.

This all started after re-installing windows onto my NVME using a usb flash drive, in an attempt to fix slow boot times. (Bios takes about 20 seconds to send me to windows even with the NVME). Sadly my boot times are still slow as ever, and now sometimes my pc wont even boot.

I've re-installed windows many times with other hard drives and never ran into this type of issue.

If anyone has any insight as to where i could start troubleshooting my issue that would be great.

Solution
If anyone has any insight as to where i could start troubleshooting my issue that would be great.

Take, 2nd, known to work dedicated GPU and try with that one.

If your issue (red VGA light) goes away, your GTX 1070 is dying.
If your issue remains, your MoBo is dying.

Bios takes about 20 seconds to send me to windows even with the NVME
That's W10 issue. I have NVMe SSD as well and had W7 before. Boot times were fast. Once i installed W10, boot times got 3 times slower.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador

Take, 2nd, known to work dedicated GPU and try with that one.

If your issue (red VGA light) goes away, your GTX 1070 is dying.
If your issue remains, your MoBo is dying.

Bios takes about 20 seconds to send me to windows even with the NVME
That's W10 issue. I have NVMe SSD as well and had W7 before. Boot times were fast. Once i installed W10, boot times got 3 times slower.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS