Incorrect screen diaply (asus geforce gtx 660 oc)

440r

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
hello!

first time builder, which means first time i've switched on this darn computer!

My GPU is an Asus Geforce GTX 660 Direct CU OC, which i have plugged into my tv via a HDMI cable, once i get onto the bios screen it is cutting the top and bottom of the screen off, does anyone know how to change this as i cant go any further into installing anthing as i can see any most of the important bits of the screen!

I have tried changing the screen setting on my tv (4:3, 16:9 etc)

Please help!

Cheers!

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
You can go to the NVidia Control Centre and change the screen resolution to 1080p. Also in there you can go and resize the display so it can properly fit the screen width and height. It's right in the Nvidia Control Centre utility.Cheers!

DiaSin

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013

I am not certain, but dont settings in the CP only take affect inside your OS? His issue is in the bios.

Look in the TV options for an option called JUST SCAN or similar.

The TV is performing what is called OVERSCAN, it gets rid of all that junk around the edges of a video signal(back in the analog only days, this was good and they could also hide the closed captioning info "offscreen"). I should not be needed any more, but most TV's still do it.

Failing that, yeah VGA(Be warned VGA will NOT play bluray without some software to bypass HDCP) or DVI(DVI will NOT pass audio) if you have it.

440r

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
I basically plugged it into a bigger tv i have (37 insted of the 21) and i fit on the screen but was to small in this case however it was usable, so i installed everything that was need, os and drivers etc, once i had install the nvida drivers it fit on the screen perfectly! Happy days!

However back on the 21 inch tv and it doesnt fit and i cant make it fit! tried changing overscan and underscan and nothing works, i can set the best resolution for my screen which is something like 1680 x 760 however everything on the screen has a very slight shake which is very annoying.

So im thinking it must be because my tv is only HD ready and not a Full HDTV unlike the 37 inch tv i have.

So does this mean i have to buy a new tv if i want to use HDMI, pretty crap if it is!

Some people may say use the bigger tv however thats not entirely possible as a permanent fixture

440r

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013

Cheers for the help, i tried all of that and nothing works properly, just seem to get everything shaking a little bit which is annoying. The tv doesnt have any of those settings, its a half decent tosbiha tv that is 4 years old so i didnt think i would have any problems with it

If the TV is only 720p, you may want to try adding 1366 x 768 as a custom resolution(strange resolution, but what many 720p tv's use).

While the larger TV may have been 1920 x 1080 ("Full HD")

What is the EXACT model number of the tv?

440r

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013

I tried changing the nvidia control panel screen resolution to 1366 by 768 and it says "test failed - 13566 x 768 is not supported by your display"

I dont have the box for my tv anymore so i wouldn't know the exact model of the tv. there is no information panel on the tv either so im a bit stuck with that one

Just noticing on the front of the tv it only says HDMI, and doesn't mention anything about HD, i presume if your have hdmi you have at least HD Ready?

440r

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013

Just found some old paperwork of the tv!

It is a Toshiba 22DV55DB (so its a 22 inch tv not a 21)

I may have made a mistake here.

The manual seems to indicate 1360 x 768. Almost swore that 720p tvs ended up being 1366 x 768, but I can NOT argue with a manual.

It also shows that over analog(VGA). Still worth seeing what happens.