Increasing battery life on a laptop by draining it fully

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toonhaze

Reputable
Aug 21, 2016
Hi all

I have Samsung Galaxy Book 12 tablet / laptop hybrid. It has preinstalled Win10, and per default its "critical battery level" is set to 3% (in power / battery settings), and it cannot be changed.

I am wondering... if my battery is not completely drained and it still has 3% power left -- before the computer shuts down -- doesn't it wear down the battery over time?

I assume they implemented it (3% setting), so that you can resume your work when you plug it back in, as all the programs are still open, etc. But I am just a bit worried that the remaining bit of power left in the battery will decrease my battery life over time.

I already set it to charge to maximum 85% (and not 100%) - it is a Samsung setting.

But is there a way to drain my battery completely (to 0%)? Can this be done in Windows 10 somehow?

And am I worrying too much? Do those 3% remaining energy even matter?

Thanks in advance

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
depends on the battery chemistry.
some batteries will fail sooner if they are drained to empty. some batteries without a BMS will stop charging is a single cell drops below a set number.
you need to find the chemistry of your battery and see what it needs and go from there.

Don't try to be smarter than the engineers. The battery management in that tablet is designed to optimize battery life. Letting it get no lower than 3% prevents such things as cell reversal. This will NOT decrease the life of the battery. Modern batteries begin the aging process at the moment of manufacture and it is what it is, whether you use it or not.

Reactions: Toonhaze
Status
Not open for further replies.