Increasing Dedicated Video Ram

vegeta13613

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
I just built my first computer. I don't have the cash at the moment to buy a decent video card, so I am trying to see if I will be able to run Diablo 3 on my integrated graphics. I go to System Requirements Labs, and they say my only shortcoming is Dedicated Video RAM. I have 64MB and Diablo 3 requires 256MB. Can I just go into my motherboard settings and bump it up and be fine? I am currently running a i5 3570k with a Cooler Master 212 CPU cooler (not overclocked) and a MSI Z77A-45 motherboard.

Also, a less important issue is that I am having problems with OC Genie II. I have it do an overclock, and the computer tries to restart, but keeps powering on and off fairly quickly (fans start running, motherboard light comes on, then powers off). It does this about 10 times, then my computer comes on with an error message saying something about a problem with the new settings. This isn't a huge deal, as the 3570k is more than enough power for me as-is. And no, I really don't want to go and muck around with voltages and CPU speed manually if I don't have to. Knowing me, I would likely screw something up. I know, it's a simple process...

Thanks in advance for any help.

Solution
Graphics (as mentioned above):
- the CPU contains the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit)
- the Video memory is shared from the installed System Memory (usally 4GB or 8GB)
- in your BIOS (UEFI) simply find the correct setting and increase the graphics memory as high as it goes.

As mentioned it is called:
"Integrated Graphics Share Memory"

I could not see the actual amount available. Diablo 3 will never require more than 512MBytes of Video Memory.

Overclocking:
As mentioned, it could easily be a BIOS issue, more specifically incorrect timings due to no profile.

Overclocking and RAM:
Some people accidentally overclock the RAM when overclocking the CPU. They often share the same base clock so a 20% on the CPU might overclock the RAM as...
the muilt reboots sounds like the mb cant set a ram speed right when the oc software.
for the video ram it in the bios.
Integrated Graphics Configuration
Press <Enter> to enter the sub-menu.
Initiate Graphic Adapter
Choose which adapter you wish to make the primary option
[PEG] PCI-Express Graphics Device
[IGD] Integrated Graphics Display
Integrated Graphics Share Memory
The system shares memory to the integrated graphics. This setting controls the
exact memory size shared to the integrated graphics. (this one here change from auto to max setting)
DVMT Memory
Specify the size of DVMT memory to allocate for video memory.
use cpu-z and see what your ram speed is running at i bet you dont have the xmp profile turned on in the bios.
in cpu-z the spd tab will show you the speed your ram can run and it voltage rating.
Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P)
This item is used to enable/disable the Intel Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) when
OC Genie is started.
My OC
it in the over clock menu.
also check that you have all the mb bios updates the last two have been for ram.

Graphics (as mentioned above):
- the CPU contains the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit)
- the Video memory is shared from the installed System Memory (usally 4GB or 8GB)
- in your BIOS (UEFI) simply find the correct setting and increase the graphics memory as high as it goes.

As mentioned it is called:
"Integrated Graphics Share Memory"

I could not see the actual amount available. Diablo 3 will never require more than 512MBytes of Video Memory.

Overclocking:
As mentioned, it could easily be a BIOS issue, more specifically incorrect timings due to no profile.

Overclocking and RAM:
Some people accidentally overclock the RAM when overclocking the CPU. They often share the same base clock so a 20% on the CPU might overclock the RAM as well and cause problems.

If that happens, simply drop the RAM multiplier so that the frequency is back to where it should be.

Need to overclock?
Not really. I have an i7-860 which isn't as powerful and I also have a GTX 680. In most games overclocking provides little benefit though in some it does a little. I'm actually hitting 60FPS in BF3 with everything on max/ultra @1920x1080. Usually the CPU or Graphics becomes the bottleneck. I'm not certain if you would even benefit from overclocking if you had a GTX 680.

**On the other hand, since your GPU is integrated in the CPU I believe overclocking the CPU also overclock the GPU portion though I'm not 100% certain. Since you're GPU-bottlenecked it's possible overclocking the CPU by 20% would directly improve your frame rate by 20%.

MEMTEST:
Do a quick test, then later do an overnight run. If you change the CPU and/or RAM always run a quick test (major errors pop up in seconds in Memtest).

www.memtest.org OR www.ultimatebootcd.com

(contains memtest86+ v4.3 as well as lots of other stuff. However, the memtest-only disc boots right to the test and starts it so I recommend it.)

More:
- good burn app is www.imgburn.com (can even burn a DVD from a CD or DVD ISO image).

- use CPU-Z to see if your power management is working properly (CPU voltage and frequency should toggle low when barely used and go higher when stressed)

*OC Genie:
I had problems with my Gigabyte utility incorrectly applying overclock settings. When I overclock I do it MANUALLY from the BIOS/UEFI. As I mentioned, overclocking is generally not needed. I only do it when converting a lot of video. I turn on Hyper-threading and overclock by 30% as well. I then set things back to stock.

Solution

vegeta13613

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
Just increased the integrated graphics share memory to 256MB (the maximum I could pick). Now I pass the minimum requirements for Diablo 3. Should I change it back to the default (64MB) once I install a video card?

As for the rebooting problem after using OC Genie, I think I will wait until I have a friend over in a few days to see if he can get it figured out. I am new to this, and don't want to screw something up.

Normally when you switch to dedicated graphics it never uses shared memory again, however this has changed with the Virtu option.

There are two options with Virtu:
1) plug into the motherboard (onboard AND dedicated graphics are functional, it's confusing)

2) plug into the video card (disables onboard graphics I think)

In general I would say:
a) don't worry about the shared memory setting, and
b) disable Virtu (in the BIOS?) unless you understand how it works and gain a benefit from it.

temak

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013

Hi, I have a dell inspiron 5520 with windows 8 preinstalled on it. Intel core i5 6gb ram and intel hd 4000 graphics card with only 32mb dedicated video ram and total memory of 1664mb. I want to increase the amount of shared memory but there's no option of to do that in the new uefi that comes with it instead of bios. Please any ideas on how to go about it. 32mb is just tooooo little! I've been to the uefi settings but I can't seem to find anything that says increase dedicated vram or so. Thanks in advance.

temak

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013