[SOLVED] Increasing RAM frequency

Apr 6, 2020
Hi, I am using an asus x470 pro motherboard. Default memory speed is 2133 mHz and when I set it to 3000 mHz my PC crashes but can increase it to at least 2400 without tweaking any voltage etc. (all other settings are auto).

Solution
I would recommend activating the XMP / DOCP profile for your RAM. This should adjust all neccessary settings to run the RAM at their rated speed. Sometimes issues can appear, even with the correct RAM settings, in which case manual adjustments can be required.

But the XMP / DOCP profile is configured specifically for the optimal RAM settings, so generally there's little reason not to use the XMP / DOCP settings, unless unforseen problems occur

In some instances manual tweaks can improve performance, but that usually requires a lot of time to setup and confirm to be stable

EDIT :

Even if you don't want to run the RAM at their max rated frequency, the simplest way to achieve those frequencies would be to enable DOCP, and then reduce...
Are you using XMP / DOCP to adjust RAM frequency, or are you just setting frquency alone?

You should activate XMP / DOCP profile when changing frequency settings for your RAM to their rated speed

This applies correct voltages and latency settings

What CPU do you have?

Apr 6, 2020
Are you using XMP / DOCP to adjust RAM frequency, or are you just setting frquency alone?

You should activate XMP / DOCP profile when changing frequency settings for your RAM to their rated speed

What CPU do you have?
I have ryzen 7 2700x and I set the frequency alone so I should just change the profile right ?
edit: there is a DOCP profile on bios for 3200 mHz but I want to increase it to 2400 or 2666 so is it still counts as OC ? Should I use the DOCP profile anyway ?

Last edited:
I would recommend activating the XMP / DOCP profile for your RAM. This should adjust all neccessary settings to run the RAM at their rated speed. Sometimes issues can appear, even with the correct RAM settings, in which case manual adjustments can be required.

But the XMP / DOCP profile is configured specifically for the optimal RAM settings, so generally there's little reason not to use the XMP / DOCP settings, unless unforseen problems occur

In some instances manual tweaks can improve performance, but that usually requires a lot of time to setup and confirm to be stable

EDIT :

Even if you don't want to run the RAM at their max rated frequency, the simplest way to achieve those frequencies would be to enable DOCP, and then reduce the max frequency in accordance with your preference.

When setting your preferred frequency completely manually, you'll need to relax timings and increase voltage as frequency increases, to support the RAM operating at that frequency.

It is absolutely possible, but it does often require some time spent getting it just right

Last edited:
Reactions: _SludgeFactory_
Solution