Increasingly bad stuttering and no internet outside of safe mode with networking

airtask

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2008
My windows 7 PC has been developing an increasingly bad stuttering issue that made it unusable yesterday. The usb corded mouse will no track smoothly and freezes every few seconds and the wifi makes a connection to the router, but it seems to be unable to find the DNS server. The sound also stutters when playing the window sounds from logging on.

When I boot the computer in safe mode with networking, everything works fine.

There are no processes pegging my CPU or memory in task manager when the stuttering occurs.

I started troubleshooting with malwarebytes and it detected a couple things in my recycling bin which I got rid of, but that didn't solve the issue.

I used msconfig turn off all applications and services on startup other than the ones I see started when it's working fine in safemode (even most of the microsoft services are not being started) and the problem persisted, so I don't think it's a start up issue.

The dust wasn't too bad in my case, but I cleaned it out and verified that all of my fans are working.

I ran chkdsk last night on my one HDD, but when I woke up it was booted back up and I don't see a log anywhere.

Finally, I realized this morning that it could be the overclocking of my i5-2500k processor so I turned that off in my bios. That seems to have fixed the stuttering, although the internet connection was a bit slower than I remember it being, it works now.

I'm left with a few questions.
1. Is it possible that the overclocking really was the issue?
2. I've been reading that if my processor was failing, the symptom would be my system not starting. I've read other threads that say my symptoms more closely match an imminent HDD failure. Does anyone know how to find a report from the check disk or see if it found bad sectors?
3. Are there other suggestions on how I can tell if the HDD is failing?
4. What are the differences between safe mode and normal mode other than the services and applications started that could cause it to work in one but not the other with the exact same limited subset of services being started?
5. Can anyone think of other possible explanations for these symptoms and recommend how to diagnose and fix them?

Thanks.

airtask

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2008
I managed to find the check disk logs in the windows event log. Apparently windows hides check disk logs in wininit when you run it during startup.

Since the logs showed no sector as bad and I don't see the symptoms anymore. I'm hoping that it was just a problem with my processor not handling the overclocking very well.