[SOLVED] Incredibly slow dowload speeds

Jan 7, 2021
Hello! Im new here and im hoping to get some help for my very slow dowloading speed I have on my pc.
I use sky wifi which will give me around 25/35mbps down on the ookla speed test on my pc. I have to use wifi as ethernet is simply not achievable in the location of my pc. However when it comes to downloading things such as games on steam or files on chrome, I typically have speeds of 200-500kbps. And if im lucky to be home alone, possibly 5mbps! I use a tplink USB wifi dongle thats capable of up to 300mbps speeds as my motherboard did not come with wifi too. These issues are not apparent on other devices such as my phone or laptop in the same location. So I ask, am I doing something wrong that causes these painful speeds? Thank you very much

Solution
You main problem is likely the USB dongle and its location. Desktop cases block a huge amount of signal and when you place a USB dongle very close to all that metal you lose a lot of signal. This is even more true if you purchased one of those crappy micro adapters that almost hide inside the USB slot.
USB adapters in general are designed where portability and battery life can be as important if not more than performance. This is why you see many usb devices that have tiny antenna and low power radios.

Your first cheap thing to try is a USB extension cable to move the adapter away from the machine.

If you look for new USB adapter ones that are physcially larger and ones that are designed for desktop macihnes are better. The...
Hello! Im new here and im hoping to get some help for my very slow dowloading speed I have on my pc.
I use sky wifi which will give me around 25/35mbps down on the ookla speed test on my pc. I have to use wifi as ethernet is simply not achievable in the location of my pc. However when it comes to downloading things such as games on steam or files on chrome, I typically have speeds of 200-500kbps. And if im lucky to be home alone, possibly 5mbps! I use a tplink USB wifi dongle thats capable of up to 300mbps speeds as my motherboard did not come with wifi too. These issues are not apparent on other devices such as my phone or laptop in the same location. So I ask, am I doing something wrong that causes these painful speeds? Thank you very much
Where is the device compared to your router? If it's at the other side of the house you'll have issues. Would advise you to look into powerline which should help a lot.

TP-Link TL-PA4010PKIT Passthrough Powerline Adapter Starter Kit, No Configuration Required, UK Plug, Pack of 2: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

You main problem is likely the USB dongle and its location. Desktop cases block a huge amount of signal and when you place a USB dongle very close to all that metal you lose a lot of signal. This is even more true if you purchased one of those crappy micro adapters that almost hide inside the USB slot.
USB adapters in general are designed where portability and battery life can be as important if not more than performance. This is why you see many usb devices that have tiny antenna and low power radios.

Your first cheap thing to try is a USB extension cable to move the adapter away from the machine.

If you look for new USB adapter ones that are physcially larger and ones that are designed for desktop macihnes are better. The ones for desktops tend to always come with USB cables and a stand or something to allow you to place the unit on top or away from the case.

Still if you are considering spending money I agree with the above post. Look at powerline networks. If you can spend a bit more than the linked above ones for the newer av2 units. If you have tv coax in both rooms you can look at MoCA device. These can actually get full gigabit speeds. Most powerline units, the low end ones like linked will get about 50-75 and even the best ones will only get 300mbps. Still the lower end powerline units are still faster than your internet connection of 25/35

Solution
Jan 7, 2021

If you look for new USB adapter ones that are physcially larger and ones that are designed for desktop macihnes are better. The ones for desktops tend to always come with USB cables and a stand or something to allow you to place the unit on top or away from the case.

Still if you are considering spending money I agree with the above post. Look at powerline networks. If you can spend a bit more than the linked above ones for the newer av2 units. If you have tv coax in both rooms you can look at MoCA device. These can actually get full gigabit speeds. Most powerline units, the low end ones like linked will get about 50-75 and even the best ones will only get 300mbps. Still the lower end powerline units are still faster than your internet connection of 25/35
That definitely makes sense to me being that it was only a cheap dongle. I think I will try to look at a more expensive dongle with a cable before looking into powerlines. Thank you very much for the all the help!

If you have a spare router around, you might be able to set it up as a wifi bridge and connect it with ethernet to your PC. The larger Wifi antenna's of the router combined with more advanced amplifier components as well as more output power will generally give a much better wifi experience. You only have 35mbps, which shouldn't need the best wifi signal to achieve.

Those little nano USB wifi dongles have garbage range.