Question incredibly slow on hdd, fast on sdd

Sep 26, 2022
hi i have a problem, my hdd that i just got a few months ago runs extremely slow i mean 1-2 minutes to boot up. this is a brand new hdd. my ssd that i recently installed opensuse on runs fast, incredibly fast. restarting to login screen takes 20 seconds tops. maybe this is ram issue (i am planning on upgrading my ram here soon) or maybe its the cpu. somewhere i read someone say there hdd was awfully slow then it sparked back up after they replaced the wires. this is an older computer so i wouldn't upgrading a lot of the stuff.

any ideas why its so slow on the hdd? it was also slow on the older hdd.

thanks!

Rokinamerica

Estimable
Nov 30, 2021
They work great as pure storage drives. Well worth the price for that type of use. But CMR will be better.

As you saw, and as USAF stated, Use a SSD for OS and most used programs and then use a HDD as storage/Backup.

kaleem104

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
hi i have a problem, my hdd that i just got a few months ago runs extremely slow i mean 1-2 minutes to boot up. this is a brand new hdd. my ssd that i recently installed opensuse on runs fast, incredibly fast. restarting to login screen takes 20 seconds tops. maybe this is ram issue (i am planning on upgrading my ram here soon) or maybe its the cpu. somewhere i read someone say there hdd was awfully slow then it sparked back up after they replaced the wires. this is an older computer so i wouldn't upgrading a lot of the stuff.

any ideas why its so slow on the hdd? it was also slow on the older hdd.

thanks!

That is the inherrent difference in hardware. HDD are old tech, they are good for cheap big storage but they are slow and have spin up the platters before they can get up to speed. If you have a 7200 RPM HDD expect 100-180 mbps read/write speed at best. Most SSD's installed in SATA will get you 500-600 mpbs consistently. If you use an M2/PCIe slot SSD the speed goes in gigs per second.

Now why does this matter in terms of your boot up time? well your operating system is a few gigs in size. That has to be pulled from the storage disk in the respective machine to the memory where it is used by CPU. You are going to pull all that OS files from storage faster on a SSD than you will on an HDD simply because the SSD is several times faster. The faster it is read from the OS the faster it will boot up. ez pz