Question Independent behavior of pointer; jerks in all visuals

Flatcat47

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
Sorry---apparently following up my own thread bounces it to the top of the line. Unintentional.

(Dell Inspiron, 3541)

Hallo!

This has gone on long time, and makes it difficult to work.
I've tried reloading Win 10, problem persists; guess it is hardware.

1) The mouse pointer essentially acts up at times. Effect is as if I were going to the lower left of the desktop and clicking. Usually gets me the search window. This can happen as often as three times a second; can go on for 15 minutes.

2) All these have motion glitches: any video, any typing, movement of pointer. Watching a music vid, the picture will hang up, like, one beat out of four. Not the audio.
What I type appears, waits, catches up all at once. Mouse pointer stops its motion same as videos.

I've asked around forums; no one ever suggested the video card. Believe me, I'm a for-dummies type; but the question did finally occur to me:
Could this be caused by the "video card?" I don't even know if that's a removable part of a laptop. Or if it is the same thing as a GPU.
Is it something that can be replaced (by me, no soldering), or reprogrammed or updated?

Thank you!
Flatcat47

Last edited:

Flatcat47

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
:mad::mad::mad: (stands for a whole STRING of cusswords)
Solved. Nope! NOT solved

It appeared to have been solved, but in a couple of hours all symptoms had returned.

Here's what I thought fixed it.

Uninstalled Radeon software.

At the moment, my typing and pointer are acting normally again. Have to wait and see if the pointer stuff, with the eternally blocking popup of the search window and the trapping of the pointer starts up again.

I don't even know just what Radeon AMD R4 is. Some kind of graphics enhancer?

Cannot tell you the relief if I can just use the computer, not await the computer's permission to click and scroll and move about the internet and, for that matter, my desktop.

<RANT>Now, then, here's the diagnostic process. 'Cause I've been struggling with this HUGE ANNOYANCE for a YEAR and have sought tech help on multiple forums, and changed mice and keyboards and rebooted my operating system, making a mess of my files and emails, and if I could have afforded it would have bought a new computer; and the answer was THAT SIMPLE: Remove some "enhancing" add-on that was misbehaving, which I bet I never needed.</RANT>

After a couple hours here with 25 views and not a remark, I got impatient. Looked at a sticky which suggested that reporting the model of GPU would be helpful.
I looked up the specs online, and discovered it was an Intel HD Graphics 5500.
I thought I might try updating its driver. Went to Intel, downloaded and ran some kind of detecting and upgrading app. It reported a problem in the detection process, three times. I looked up error messages and it said something about not having such a GPU or might not be configured right, or whatever.
I went at it another way, asked RUN: dxdiag (or something like that) to detect my GPU. It reported the Radeon. I said, wottheheck, went to Radeon, which suggested some fancy upgrade. Downloaded and ran it.

The process involved a longish uninstall, then reboot and reinstall the new thing.

Observations:
  1. the Dell booting up thingee, a circling batch of dots, does not exhibit the visual stalling that everything else does.
  2. once booted to my desktop, before and during the reinstall of Radeon software, the mouse pointer moved without glitches.
  3. once the reinstall was finished, the glitch was back
Hence, sez my brain, in a moment not quite as historic as Mr. Eureka's running from the bath, when Radeon is absent, so is the movement glitch.

I went to the app list and uninstalled it.

And now my typing appears without interruption, the pointer is moving without interruption, and a video of myself playing guitar just ran without my strumming hand holding up one beat out of four.

It's been an hour or so and no popups of the search window.

That's, as my granny used to say, about the size of it.

I thank this forum for being here and obliquely making me think.

Flatcat47

Last edited:

Flatcat47

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
OK, lookee....I say this HAS to be hardware. It survived a repair reinstall of Win 10 and a clean reinstall of Win 10.

Below is more information than anyone could want about the GPU in this machine. I don't understand any of it!

Meanwhile, I have found out that, in spite of the standard specs for a Dell 3541 laptop calling for an Intel HD Graphics 5500 card, if that is a card, mine contains an AMD, as specified below. While I was here twiddling my thumbs in the middle of this post, I reloaded the package I'd deleted, which I think included drivers.

So the GPU/Card/whatsit is presumably all up to date.

I don't know. if I had money to toss around I'd just get another computer and put paid to the problems.

Really, does anyone know anything about this that makes any sense?

It's a not-exactly-unheard-of problem: google "search window pops up" and you will find threads on the subject going back several years. Some folks seem to get it solved by disabling some of the tapping on their touch pads; but my touch pad is always turned off.

I have been through lots of diagnostics, "repair broken files," alla that. Now, it seems, I've done what could be done with the GPU. Got a Microsoft volunteer(good one) running me through more diagnostics; but read the very top of this post and see what I think the likelihood of fixing this that way is.

This is a Hardware club. You tell me, in your collective experience are there such difficulties where nobody really can say---Oh! That's the Autonomous Popup Problem with the Associated Visual Glitches. You just
1) press the Windows Key 14 times
or 2) throw away your computer.

What the heck, folks! ANY wisdom?

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: AMD Radeon(TM) R4 Graphics
Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x9851)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Type: Full Device (POST)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9851&SUBSYS_06571028&REV_00
Device Status: 0180200A [DN_DRIVER_LOADED|DN_STARTED|DN_DISABLEABLE|DN_NT_ENUMERATOR|DN_NT_DRIVER]
Device Problem Code: No Problem
Driver Problem Code: Unknown
Display Memory: 4554 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1006 MB
Shared Memory: 3548 MB
Current Mode: 1366 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
HDR Support: Not Supported
Display Topology: Internal
Display Color Space: DXGI_COLOR_SPACE_RGB_FULL_G22_NONE_P709
Color Primaries: Red(0.580078,0.334961), Green(0.330078,0.565430), Blue(0.155273,0.139648), White Point(0.313477,0.329102)
Display Luminance: Min Luminance = 0.500000, Max Luminance = 270.000000, MaxFullFrameLuminance = 270.000000
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: unknown
Monitor Id: AUO11EC
Native Mode: 1366 x 768(p) (60.043Hz)
Output Type: Internal
Monitor Capabilities: HDR Not Supported
Display Pixel Format: DISPLAYCONFIG_PIXELFORMAT_32BPP
Advanced Color: Not Supported
Driver Name: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\c0346830.inf_amd64_f723e13ffb3b2652\B345901\aticfx64.dll,C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\c0346830.inf_amd64_f723e13ffb3b2652\B345901\aticfx64.dll,C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\c0346830.inf_amd64_f723e13ffb3b2652\B345901\aticfx64.dll,C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\c0346830.inf_amd64_f723e13ffb3b2652\B345901\amdxc64.dll
Driver File Version: 26.20.12028.0002 (English)
Driver Version: 26.20.12028.2
DDI Version: 12
Feature Levels: 12_0,11_1,11_0,10_1,10_0,9_3,9_2,9_1
Driver Model: WDDM 2.1
Graphics Preemption: DMA
Compute Preemption: DMA
Miracast: Not Supported by Graphics driver
Detachable GPU: No
Hybrid Graphics GPU: Integrated
Power P-states: Not Supported
Virtualization: Not Supported
Block List: No Blocks
Catalog Attributes: Universal:False Declarative:False
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 8/15/2019 8:00:00 PM, 1975720 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp: Unknown
Device Identifier: {D7B71EE2-DB11-11CF-9A73-AB08BBC2D735}
Vendor ID: 0x1002
Device ID: 0x9851
SubSys ID: 0x06571028
Revision ID: 0x0000
Driver Strong Name: oem7.inf:cb0ae41442683854:ati2mtag_MullinsPA_MobileDS:26.20.12028.2:pci\ven_1002&dev_9851&rev_00
Rank Of Driver: 00D12000
Video Accel: Unknown
DXVA2 Modes: DXVA2_ModeMPEG2_VLD DXVA2_ModeMPEG2_IDCT DXVA2_ModeH264_VLD_NoFGT DXVA2_ModeH264_VLD_Stereo_Progressive_NoFGT DXVA2_ModeH264_VLD_Stereo_NoFGT DXVA2_ModeVC1_VLD DXVA2_ModeMPEG4pt2_VLD_AdvSimple_NoGMC DXVA2_ModeVC1_IDCT DXVA2_ModeWMV9_IDCT
Deinterlace Caps: n/a
D3D9 Overlay: Not Supported
DXVA-HD: Not Supported
DDraw Status: Enabled
D3D Status: Enabled
AGP Status: Enabled
MPO MaxPlanes: 1
MPO Caps: Not Supported
MPO Stretch: Not Supported
MPO Media Hints: Not Supported
MPO Formats: Not Supported
PanelFitter Caps: Not Supported