India's $35 Android 7-inch Tablet to Hit in January

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aaruni123

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
To all the super excited guys here, I would like to add that this is heavily subsidized and will be available only to the educational institutes for the time being. I remember an interview in which Mr Sibbal quoted that the prices would definitely be higher for the commercial market.

Also, those whining about child labour in India, yes it is a fact and it is through these measures that we are trying to improve the condition of our future generations. If you can not get a simple fact like this, I have nothing to say then.

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
Glad to see a country thinking of education and it's younger (non-voting!) members, and being prepared to back up talk of innovating in the classroom with money and action. Respect due and duely earned.

dragon5677

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
[citation][nom]mindspring[/nom]Made in India = don't buy. Reason - child worker exploitation.[/citation]
what are you some kinda a nomad speakin about other countries like trash. also i dont see your location listed............... get your facts right, child labor doesnt take place in the world of tech

hemelskonijn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
I wonder if the 35usd is the price of production if it is would it be unreasonable to expect these in European stores for about 50 euro?

It might be good to ship and sell these world wide since larger production will cut the costs and i think there is a market for these anywhere. Personally i use my laptop or MID to read some news before i go to bed and for browsing on the go, this device should be able to do both better then my MID while it is still a lot less weight to carry around in compare to my laptop (and probably has a longer battery life in my case).

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]hemelskonijn[/nom]I wonder if the 35usd is the price of production if it is would it be unreasonable to expect these in European stores for about 50 euro?[/citation]
Here's the news, an iPad doesn't cost $600 to produce, the labour costs are almost negligible and the parts aren't bought retail. The actual real-life cost of the parts for this device are probably $20.
It's all about what it's worth and the purchasing power of the market segment, not what it costs.
So expect this device to hit the USA and have a 400% markup.

Stifle

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Sounds like the price will largely be covered by the government, the screen itself likely costs over $35 at 7in

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
i'm skeptical about the $35 price. Even $35 cost sounds incredulous. Even the news release doesn't contain any specifics: what cpu, what memory, what storage, battery, connectivity, ...

G

you get what you pay for. $35 dollars? you try it first. anyway. I never see any tech stuff in USA that is made in india so far.

G

Great!
Only 15 years ago this device would have costed us over $1000!

If they say $35, it actually means $75 or $100.
But even if this device would be sold for $100,I'd buy one!
That is, if I can load XP on one, and do something with it!

G

It's all subsidy = robbing taxpayer money for bullshit products. The thing probably costs $200 to make and functions like crap, but looks good because of subsidy and spin; everything here (india) is like that.

G

"It's not a substitute for a computer" - It is if you don't have a computer.

G

I personally own an iPad and wouldn't consider buying something as cheap as this device looks, I can only imagine how cheap and crappy it will actually be.

That being said it might sell like hot cakes in India and China.

glassice

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
China can make an iPhone clone with java support, bluetooth, storage and... for just $20 for each, how can anyone explain that???

Status
Not open for further replies.