Inexpensive RELIABLE video card for AMD Ryzen 2700 mobo

hz01938

Proper
Dec 25, 2018
First, I do not play games at all. All I need is a reliable video card.

Here is my system:

3HIdcuH.png

I am suspecting my current GTX 1050 card does not get along with the system. It got along with my previous system (Intel Core i5). I heard Nvidia drivers are relatively buggy. True?

Is Radeon HD 6450 too old?

Probably the most graphics intensive task that my computer does is processing photos from my Canon camera occasionally. I assume any video card made in the past 10 years can do it.

hz01938

Proper
Dec 25, 2018

Though I am not 100% sure, I suspect 1050 is responsible for occasional crash. This is why I want to try another card.

You suspect it's the 1050!?

Although it works fine in Another build?

I'd disagree entirely then, there are no compatibility issues between ryzen & gtx 1*** series cards.

Without a doubt there are 1000s of members here running a similar combo.

You're running 32gb ram??

A memory speed or timing issue is way way more likely to be at fault here.

We need full system specs though.

hz01938

Proper
Dec 25, 2018

wSwfuhM.png

This is related to this thread. They system is much more stable now than when I posted it. I tried another very old GeForce card for day, the PC was crashing left and right. I'd like to try an AMD video card to go with the AMD CPU. I know it does not have to be the case.

hz01938

Proper
Dec 25, 2018

No, I have never done that. Reinstalling all the programs would be monumental.

hz01938

Proper
Dec 25, 2018

RX-550 sounds good to me. No, I do not play video games. I even do not play games on the X-box that I have (it is used for non-game software development).

bignastyid

Titan

Your crash is due to the fact you did a major hardware upgrade and are trying to run an OS that was installed on the previous hardware. Your system will have stability issues and likely performance issues aswell, swapping in a different video card will not fix it. What you need is a clean os install.

hz01938

Proper
Dec 25, 2018

This could well be the case. Since the stability has improved significantly (from a few crashes every day to a crash every few days) after all kinds of cleaning, I have not completely given up on making it stable enough for my use. A clean OS install remains a distinct possibility.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Just throwing this out there but for the amount of jerking around with your hardware you are doing and considering replacing a perfectly good GPU thereby spending more money on something you don't need to, you probably could have reinstalled Windows and your software properly by now.

Time to cut your losses and move on, wipe the drive, reinstall windows, profit.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yup. Even if you get things working properly now, there's a tendency when skipping steps on an upgrade for smaller issues to continue popping up for months. Unless you're installing a version of an operating system that is intended to be plug-and-play in this manner, you're asking for trouble when skipping best practices, even on Windows 10 which tends to be more cooperative with this type of jury-rigged PC building than past versions.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
December 25, 2018
No, I have not reinstalled Windows 10. I have so many applications that reinstalling all of them would be very painful. Is there a way to avoid reinstalling Windows 10.

While the task likely strikes you as painful, given you're now ~16 days post original question, the day or two reinstalling Windows/applications (depending on how many you have) would've been long passed at this point.

hz01938

Proper
Dec 25, 2018

Actually, the 16-day experience so far is what encouraging me to continue the current path because I have largely maintained normal work schedule on this primary computer. Though I have two PCs, two laptops and a bunch of tablets, this is the only one that would essentially halt my normal work if it is not functioning. For other computers, I would do a clean install without any hesitation. They can be out of order for days with negligible impact on my work. If I have to do clean install, I will have to find a suitable weekend dedicated to it.

Takes less than two hours to completely reinstall Windows and about 50 programs. I've done it. Multiple times. Hundreds of times in fact. Unless there is software installed on this system that for some reason CANNOT be reinstalled, and the only reasons I can think of for that are that either they are softwares that you no longer have the installers for or you have lost the product keys for them, or you have software that does not have the ability to export current configuration settings and then import them back into the software after reinstalling them, you are simply wasting more time here even posting about it than it would take to actually do it. Several people here have already mentioned that.

Windows 10 Clean install tutorial

And a few things you need to do or make sure you've already done, before doing that.

hz01938

Proper
Dec 25, 2018
Thank you for the instructions that I will follow should I decide to have a clean install.
I do not want to waste people's time here by detailing all the challenges of restoring all the applications and associated projects. For example, there are some legacy stuff that I MUST have, but I do not even know how to install them off the top of my head. I would need to go through all the things one by one to make sure that I can restore. I do not have any physical media for installation, this is not a problem per se. I am no longer able to retrieve the license keys of some products due to a stopped subscription, etc. etc.

USAFRet

Titan

Question regarding all this software:
What happens when (not if) your current drive physically dies, or you get a massive virus infection?

hz01938

Proper
Dec 25, 2018

I have daily cloud backup with Backblaze (love it) for files, and back up entire drives once or twice every month, so I can easily restore a drive quickly if it goes.

USAFRet

Titan

Entire drives? Have you ever tested it?
Several hundred GB or more is going to be a tough "backup" to retrieve from online somewhere.

One of my 1TB SSD's died a couple of weeks ago. 605GB data, absolutely dead...
2 hours across the house LAN...I'd hate to try to do that online, even with a fast internet connection.

Basically, though...a lot of times, a "fix" for a situation as you laid out initially IS a full wipe and reinstall.

Belarc Advisor can possibly retrieve a lot of those lost license keys for you.
https://www.belarc.com/products_belarc_advisor

hz01938

Proper
Dec 25, 2018

Sorry, but I should have made it clearer by stating that entire drives are backed up to external drives with Reflect. I have restored hard drives quite a few times with Reflect not because drive failure. I have not had any drive failure for a long time. I have multiple copies (backed up at different times) of each drive out of caution. The cloud backup is primarily for user files. I restore files from the cloud backup frequently because I screw up files (with human error) more frequently than I wish.

Actually I used Belarc to retrieve Windows 10 license after the motherboard upgrade because it was deactivated. I believe it is under Explorer or Internet Explorer.