[SOLVED] Inexplicable GPU slowdown

TopHatterCT

Commendable
Dec 11, 2021
My PC just went through what's for me a quite stressful experience when it suddenly just had a DRAM failure that I frantically scrambled to fix to no avail. Somehow though, after a few hours it managed to fix itself. But afterwards, my graphics card that was easily running my favorite game at its cap of 60 fps now has dropped drastically to low-mid 40s fps, and now is constantly on full load in places where it runs at only 70-80% load. I already searched for bottlenecks but there were none, reinstalled the game, DDU'ed and reinstalled my gpu driver and I also even did a reset of my pc. I cleared cmos and reconfigured my ssd that I recently installed back to IDE. Still nothing! I really am getting desperate, I hope someone here can help. T_T

Edit: Forgot to add my specs:

X58 motherboard ASUS Rampage III Gene
i7-960
10GB DDR3 RAM
GTX 1050 MSI 2GB
Crucial MX500 SSD

Last edited:

TopHatterCT

Commendable
Dec 11, 2021
Thats a odd ram combo, i assume your running a 3x2gb kit with a 4gb stick as a 4th.

What PSU ( make and model) do you have? If its as old as the system it may be time for a new one. Failing PSU cans cause all sorts of issues.
It's a brand new msi mag 550w psu. And the RAM combo was 2x1 and 2x4 GB in triple-channel. Was 18GB previously but that major issue I had left the last two 4GB sticks(or their slots) unreadable.

TopHatterCT

Commendable
Dec 11, 2021
Update: I yanked out the ssd and plugged my old hdd back in, and the problem mostly went away, but is still a little perceptible. Guess I'll stick with my good ol'spinny drive for a while longer and just sell off the ssd since it's still new.

Yeah i could never get my Asus rampage 3 extreme board to read 6x4gb sticks even up until a few years ago. Always ran them in a 6x2gb config.

I would try loading windows with the mx500 on another computer to see if you have the same issue, very well could be just a bad drive you got, or contact Crucial for a rma.

TopHatterCT Hello. Which version of Windows are you running, and is it a 64 bit version? Your motherboard was released in 2010 and the X58 chipset released in 2008; 12 and 14 years old respectively. That install of Windows that you previously had on the HDD, which year is the original installation from? I have some uncertainty about where your framerate problem stems from.

If this were my system, and I was reasonably certain that Windows 10 were compatible with this chipset, then I would seriously consider fresh installing (not cloning) Windows on the SSD. When I say reinstalling, I don't mean factory resetting. My definition of a fresh install would be to download and run the Windows 10 utility from Microsoft, having it place the Windows 10 installer on a USB flash drive (8 GB minimum size required). Then I boot off the flash drive, do a custom install, delete all partitions on the SSD (data will be permanently destroyed without any possibility of recovery). During this phase of the process, I would unplug the Ethernet cable and not connect to Wi-Fi, and I would select limited setup options, as I prefer not to create a Microsoft account for Windows installations. I prefer the traditional local admin accounts. Please keep in mind that I take no personal responsibility if your installation doesn't go according to plan, as this is an older system.

Please also keep in mind that this may or may not solve your issues with the unpredictable frame rates in game. If the issue is hardware related, then at some point in the future, a platform upgrade would be indicated: motherboard / cpu / ram. MSI Pro B660M-A Wi-Fi DDR4 (8,790 php) and i5-12400F (10,500 php) and DDR4 RAM would be a nice combination.

One other thing: I seriously doubt that anything is physically wrong with your SSD. It's much more likely that your your data is experiencing "windows rot" or your motherboard may have electronic issues from years of subpar power being supplied. Potentially solving the Windows issue is free, although it would be a personal hassle to you. I apologize to everyone for the verbose response.

Mar 21, 2022
TopHatterCT Hello. Which version of Windows are you running, and is it a 64 bit version? Your motherboard was released in 2010 and the X58 chipset released in 2008; 12 and 14 years old respectively. That install of Windows that you previously had on the HDD, which year is the original installation from? I have some uncertainty about where your framerate problem stems from.

If this were my system, and I was reasonably certain that Windows 10 were compatible with this chipset, then I would seriously consider fresh installing (not cloning) Windows on the SSD. When I say reinstalling, I don't mean factory resetting. My definition of a fresh install would be to download and run the Windows 10 utility from Microsoft, having it place the Windows 10 installer on a USB flash drive (8 GB minimum size required). Then I boot of the flash drive, do a custom install, delete all partitions on the SSD (data will be permanently destroyed without any possibility of recovery). During this phase of the process, I would unplug the Ethernet cable and not connect to Wi-Fi, and I would select limited setup options, as I prefer not to create a Microsoft account for Windows installations. I prefer the traditional local admin accounts. Please keep in mind that I take no personal responsibility if your installation doesn't go according to plan, as this is an older system.

Please also keep in mind that this may or may not solve your issues with the unpredictable frame rates in game. If the issue is hardware related, then at some point in the future, a platform upgrade would be indicated: motherboard / cpu / ram. MSI Pro B660M-A Wi-Fi DDR4 (8,790 php) and i5-12400F (10,500 php) and DDR4 RAM would be a nice combination.

One other thing: I seriously doubt that anything is physically wrong with your SSD. It's much more likely that your your data is experiencing "windows rot" or your motherboard may have electronic issues from years of subpar power being supplied. Potentially solving the Windows issues is free, although it would be a personal hassle for you. I apologize to everyone for the verbose response.
that's a good idea but a bad ssd new in box is a possibility rare but possible. also possible that it could of been damaged by static discharge during install

that's a good idea but a bad ssd new in box is a possibility rare but possible. also possible that it could of been damaged by static discharge during install
Certainly it is possible. However, I went back and read every single message post that TopHatterCT has had on this site. Based on the difficulty that he had with initially running the cloned image, I was led me to believe that the installation itself is part of the problem. But I certainly agree that anything is possible, and my assumption could be completely off base.

Mar 21, 2022
Certainly it is possible. However, I went back and read every single message post that TopHatterCT has had on this site. Based on the difficulty that he had with initially running the cloned image, I was led me to believe that the installation itself is part of the problem. But I certainly agree that anything is possible, and my assumption could be completely off base.
back in my day norton ghost was the choice for cloning drives but it was a 1 for 1 copy. now a days you have secure boot and hardware security that can mess with cloning not to mention windows tries to invalidate your key sometimes for hardware changes.

idk if it's experience or just luck but my recent drive cloning has been done using linux and I have not had problems even with windows mbr or boot sectors or none of that.