Info about my 2013 CPU, heating and performance issues

nxnje

Prominent
Nov 14, 2018
Hello everyone,
so much time i'm thinking about selling my ram+cpu+motherboard block for a very low price and buy a new one but actually i don't see real upgrades except the 9600k which even has no hyperthreading, and hyperthreading or more cores are useful when audio rendering and multicore purposes.

My CPU is a i7-4770 non k, so i can't OC it.
BIOS has been set-up with Turbo Performance, and this morning i tried to disable ESIT and C-states as tipped by many people on reddit.
I instantly noticed a great fps boost in overwatch, going from 170fps i had, to 260.
This just went down again to 150-170 after 1-2 min playing.
Temps are around 67-70 degrees when playing overwatch and 75-76 while playing rainbow six.
Same thing when playing BF1, where i really struggle getting stable 60fps.
So i was thinkin about a little thing but i really need someone who can give me an answer to this big question.
Could that be a temp problem?
I mean, as soon as i join the game, i instantly have a good amount o frames per second in the game, then after some seconds or minutes, fps just decrease again to 150-170 (i play with everything low as it's competitive and i don't need details).
Can temps like mine have impact to the CPU working state?
i really wanna change my cpu but until ryzen 3xxx with Zen2 drops, i would prefer sticking with this configuration and try to achieve stable fps in order to get a 144hz screen.
My GPU is a GTX1060 6GB and windows has high performance mode active, with nvidia control panel being all pointed on Performance instead of Quality.

Thanks in advance to everyone that will try helping.

Solution
DDR3 single channel is old tech now.

I would suggest if you dont want to switch to Ryzen yet to just wait until Zen2, get a new system which will give you DDR4, with the option of dual channel.

Theres not much i would suggest you can do at the moment hardware-wise that you can do that will be worthwhile if you are switching your whole system in 5 months.
"I mean, as soon as i join the game, i instantly have a good amount o frames per second in the game, then after some seconds or minutes, fps just decrease again to 150-170"

When you first start the game, not a lot is happening, the system will perform well in these situations. A few mins in more players are in the same area, there will be gunfire and explosions to calculate and render, this is where you will see your system's real performance capability. I would compare it to the first few mins of gaming.

DDR3 single channel is old tech now.

I would suggest if you dont want to switch to Ryzen yet to just wait until Zen2, get a new system which will give you DDR4, with the option of dual channel.

Theres not much i would suggest you can do at the moment hardware-wise that you can do that will be worthwhile if you are switching your whole system in 5 months.

Solution

nxnje

Prominent
Nov 14, 2018
Yes, 1080p
People said me i need at least a gtx1070 in order to play 144hz competitive games, but i heard cpu is more important when it comes to low resolutions.