Question Info on Expo with Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E GAMING WIFI with AMD Ryzen 7 7700X ?

stravencroft

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
So I'm a bit lost here. As of last night I only just found out about the issue with Asus and the voltage/instability issues with the 3d chips like the 7800x3D and so on as highlighted by GN and JayZ. As I thought I bought a decent board with the Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E GAMING WIFI I'm a bit dismayed.

I had put off getting the Ryzen 7 7800x3D for the Ryzen 7 7700x initially to save money and to wait out any potential issues with the chip as it first came out. I however did get 4 sticks of RAM namely G.Skill Flare X5 DDR5-6000 CL30 which I understand has expo enabled. I'm not sure if it's safe to run the 7700x in expo mode (expo1 ?) with the RAM or not if the issue only is really affecting the 3d chips or all the ryzen 7 cpus to the same degree. I have a Seasonic Prime 1300 Watt PSU and a Noctua NH-D15S as a CPU cooler. My case is the Corsair 5000D airflow and I plan on swapping the case fans to Noctua chromax fans namely: 1x 120mm Noctua NF-a12x25 as exhaust in the rear, 2x 140mm Noctua NF-a14 as front intake, 1x 140mm Noctua NF-a14 as top of the case rear exhaust (I was advised to get one to start as opposed to two as top exhaust and to save money). The CPU cooler the Noctua NH-D15S comes with 1x 140mm fan a Noctua NF-a15 although I was going to put a 120mm fan on another Noctua NF-a12x25 so as not to crowd the ram. I could also pivot and get a second 140mm fan another NH-a15 instead if I can make everything fit once I angle it upwards a bit.

The graphics card is the EVGA XC3 ULTRA GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 10GB 10 GB which I'm migrating from my old machine if that matters. I've heard they can run hot.

Is it safe to OC or run expo for the ram/ 7700x CPU with this setup or should I load no expo in the bios once I get everything together?

Thoughts?

Here's my build in its entirety: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BbnyJM

D

Deleted member 2947362

I bought my board open box off of eBay though. No idea if I'd be covered.
From what other users say on this website they have never had any issues RMA parts that have failed.

But if you bought something second hand/used then I'm not sure if the warranty carries over to the next user.

Unless they had handed over the original proof of purchase like a receipt if they pay cash then who's to say you were not the original buyer if you hold the original proof of purchase

when ever I have sold anything that's still under warranty I always hand over the original receipt so the new owner has some peace of mind if anything goes wrong later down the road.

As long as you have the original proof of purchase I wouldn't worry about it.

stravencroft

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
So I updated my BIOS and tried enabling Expo mode for the first time today. This would be Expo 1 I'm not sure if Expo 2 would be gentler.

While in expo my cpu soc values or vsoc were in the ranges of 1.2500 to 1.289 volts. While not in expo it was around 0.977 volts.

But my other readings I've been told to monitor the CPU VDDIO/ MCC while not in expo were at 1.119 volts and while in expo were at 1.34 volts. Yikes!

I didn't see any way to manually set my maximum CPU VDDIO/MC values in BIOS unlike VSOC. This might explain why when I was restarting my PC the first time I put it into expo to get back to BIOS so I could switch it off I got a BSOD with a kernel security failure message. I was worried I had harmed the CPU or my ram sticks.

I had also enabled the resizable bar on my EVGA 3080 RTX for the first time however too though so I'm not sure what caused it. When I see kernel error messages (apart from windows ME flashbacks) I tend to think Windows driver issues or hardware failure such as the cpu processor or RAM though.

This is a Ryzen 7 7700x though not the 7800x3D or the 7900x3D or the 7950x3D. That said I'm worried about harming my CPU by leaving it in expo even with ranges below 1.29 VSOC due to seeing a kernel failure BSOD of any sort. Or harming my 4 sticks of 64 GB G.Skill Flare CAS 30 RAM. They were quite expensive.

It would appear something failed. Nothing obvious in device manager though.

Everything was nice and cool with my cpu/case fan curve as well as my GPU fan curve before I enabled expo mode though.

Any ideas what to check for? I've been using HwInfo for temperature and voltage readings though before that point went by HWMonitor/CpuZ and Speedfan.

D

Deleted member 2947362

So I updated my BIOS and tried enabling Expo mode for the first time today. This would be Expo 1 I'm not sure if Expo 2 would be gentler.

While in expo my cpu soc values or vsoc were in the ranges of 1.2500 to 1.289 volts. While not in expo it was around 0.977 volts.

But my other readings I've been told to monitor the CPU VDDIO/ MCC while not in expo were at 1.119 volts and while in expo were at 1.34 volts. Yikes!

I didn't see any way to manually set my maximum CPU VDDIO/MC values in BIOS unlike VSOC. This might explain why when I was restarting my PC the first time I put it into expo to get back to BIOS so I could switch it off I got a BSOD with a kernel security failure message. I was worried I had harmed the CPU or my ram sticks.

I had also enabled the resizable bar on my EVGA 3080 RTX for the first time however too though so I'm not sure what caused it. When I see kernel error messages (apart from windows ME flashbacks) I tend to think Windows driver issues or hardware failure such as the cpu processor or RAM though.

This is a Ryzen 7 7700x though not the 7800x3D or the 7900x3D or the 7950x3D. That said I'm worried about harming my CPU by leaving it in expo even with ranges below 1.29 VSOC due to seeing a kernel failure BSOD of any sort. Or harming my 4 sticks of 64 GB G.Skill Flare CAS 30 RAM. They were quite expensive.

It would appear something failed. Nothing obvious in device manager though.

Everything was nice and cool with my cpu/case fan curve as well as my GPU fan curve before I enabled expo mode though.

Any ideas what to check for? I've been using HwInfo for temperature and voltage readings though before that point went by HWMonitor/CpuZ and Speedfan.
If I enable PBO in the Bios, that allows the voltage to reach 1.38v while CPU is boosting and holding it's max boost speed for longer.
If I disable PBO the voltage stays at 1.2v while the CPU is boosting but won't sustain it's highest boost speed for as long.

With PBO enabled the CPU will inherently run hotter as voltage allows boost to be held long than It's really meant to.

Maybe something similar is happing with your system?

I don't use PBO because I don't need the little extra PBO gives me and prefer default CPU spec temps when it's not enabled I also don't use XMP I just manually set the voltage and timing's in the Bios

Try enabling XMP and the disable all PBO see if that helps

stravencroft

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
I'm going to have to try that. I tried enabling AI overclocking at just Expo 1 and I'm getting CPU temps of max at 95.5C in CPUID HWMonitor. To be fair it jumped to that when I was adjusting the fan settings in Armory Crate. OC temps averaging about 58C. Which is close to the high end on my non OC where it averages in 43 to 45C.

Not sure if AI OC needs to train or learn to do its thing or not. I did set up AI fan control though. Not quite sure how that works.

I really just wanted my RAM to go at max capacity. Wasn't looking to OC the CPU itself.

D

Deleted member 2947362

I'm going to have to try that. I tried enabling AI overclocking at just Expo 1 and I'm getting CPU temps of max at 95.5C in CPUID HWMonitor. To be fair it jumped to that when I was adjusting the fan settings in Armory Crate. OC temps averaging about 58C. Which is close to the high end on my non OC where it averages in 43 to 45C.

Not sure if AI OC needs to train or learn to do its thing or not. I did set up AI fan control though. Not quite sure how that works.

I really just wanted my RAM to go at max capacity. Wasn't looking to OC the CPU itself.
Just don't use it your better off O/C manually if that's what your into, I never really liked or trusted Asus AI and the software just seemed to cause more hassles than anything else, well that was my experiences with it when I used play around with it.
I used to just uninstall all Asus software after having a little play around with it same as I did with gigabytes software tools.

stravencroft

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
What settings would you recommend for OC and where do I find the timings? I don't have a preset profile. Putting the frequency to 6000 mhz I notice causes a massive voltage spike which I suppose makes sense although being new to manually OCing confuses me a bit. Given I have CL/CAS 30 Ram I really want to get as much mileage out the 64GB of ram I have. Within "relatively safe limits" Keeping the 6000mhz RAM at 3600 seems a bit underwhelming. So would destroying the RAM though.

D

Deleted member 2947362

What settings would you recommend for OC and where do I find the timings? I don't have a preset profile. Putting the frequency to 6000 mhz I notice causes a massive voltage spike which I suppose makes sense although being new to manually OCing confuses me a bit. Given I have CL/CAS 30 Ram I really want to get as much mileage out the 64GB of ram I have. Within "relatively safe limits" Keeping the 6000mhz RAM at 3600 seems a bit underwhelming. So would destroying the RAM though.
Please take a look around the O/C part of the forum you will find all the info you need to know and more.

After emailing with CorsairTech Support I am very reassured about the voltage issue I have with my motherboard concerning the voltage spiking to 1.382v on the Ram's IC's and the effect it may have on longevity of the Kit's life span.
(really nice people to. I wanted to add)

As for PBO this is my Opinion of the tech.

I really don't need it so I don't use it.

The CPU's default stock boost is fine and all I need and don't want PBO to over volt to sustain the boost longer.

If you feel you need it then use it.
(just be aware that PBO may Void the warranty on the CPU as your technically allowing PBO to boost beyond the CPU's official rated settings according to AMD's own info)

If you feel the voltage and temp's are not worth the gain and you don't really need it Don't use it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fourro

Reputable
May 11, 2019
1) Make sure you have the latest BIOS available for your X670E-E: -> LINK <-. Everything is fixed in the latest BIOS so you won't need to worry.
2) With EXPO I only the main timings are taken from the EXPO profile built in your RAM sticks, the subtimings are left on Auto which means the motherboard decides what subtimings to use (I suppose the motherboard sets some higher timings for compatibility, therefore the performance will be lower). With EXPO II the motherboard sets all timings (the main ones and the subtimings) according to the EXPO profile that your RAM sticks contain. EXPO Tweaked must be something like when you use DRAM Calculator to find better (lower) timings for your RAM, i.e. it's overclocking, but instead of increasing the frequency you reduce the timings.