info on purchasing RAM

Hi:
Placed a tech call to Gateway today regarding lockups on my system when
trying to open programs - basically Printshop, MS Money, MS works and my
E-mail all lock up when trying to open them. They have determined that I do
not have enough RAM. I only have 64 MB but that has always been sufficient
before and I have recently cleaned up a lot of stuff on my computer and
deleted programs and files so I do not know why it is all of the sudden a
problem. Anway, they gave me the option to buy more RAM or reformat my hard
drive. I do not want to get into reformatting the hard drive.

They gave me a price of around 80.00 for 128 MB of RAM. I am seeing it a
lot cheaper on E-bay. If I open the case will I be able to tell what I need
to buy by looking in there. (I see there are a lot of different options on
this RAM in regard to number of pins, etc. ) I have a pentium II 400 mhz
processor. I am giving the computer to a relative to use as I bought a new
one so I don't want to spend a lot of money on it (or time).

Will I need to take the 64 MB chip out or can that stay in in addition to
the 128 MG chip.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks
Kay

"Kay Greenly" <trailer@postoffice.ptd.net> wrote in message
> Hi:

> They gave me a price of around 80.00 for 128 MB of RAM. I am seeing it a
> lot cheaper on E-bay. If I open the case will I be able to tell what I
need
> to buy by looking in there. (I see there are a lot of different options
on
> this RAM in regard to number of pins, etc. ) I have a pentium II 400 mhz
> processor. I am giving the computer to a relative to use as I bought a
new
> one so I don't want to spend a lot of money on it (or time).
>
> Will I need to take the 64 MB chip out or can that stay in in addition to
> the 128 MG chip.
>
> Any information would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Kay

Go to www.crucial.com and use the memory configurator. It will answer all
those questions

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.

smith

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2003

Is it a GP6 series PII? Post your Gateway computer serial number here so we
can see what type of RAM it is. My sister had a GP6 PII 333 and hers was
PC100 168pin SDRAM, which is most likely what yours is. Here's an eBay one
for $33 delivered guarunteed compatable if that's your model (plus it lists
all other Gateway models it'll work with):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3472228087&category=14916

Smith

"Kay Greenly" <trailer@postoffice.ptd.net> wrote in message
> Hi:
> Placed a tech call to Gateway today regarding lockups on my system when
> trying to open programs - basically Printshop, MS Money, MS works and my
> E-mail all lock up when trying to open them. They have determined that I
do
> not have enough RAM. I only have 64 MB but that has always been
sufficient
> before and I have recently cleaned up a lot of stuff on my computer and
> deleted programs and files so I do not know why it is all of the sudden a
> problem. Anway, they gave me the option to buy more RAM or reformat my
hard
> drive. I do not want to get into reformatting the hard drive.
>
> They gave me a price of around 80.00 for 128 MB of RAM. I am seeing it a
> lot cheaper on E-bay. If I open the case will I be able to tell what I
need
> to buy by looking in there. (I see there are a lot of different options
on
> this RAM in regard to number of pins, etc. ) I have a pentium II 400 mhz
> processor. I am giving the computer to a relative to use as I bought a
new
> one so I don't want to spend a lot of money on it (or time).
>
> Will I need to take the 64 MB chip out or can that stay in in addition to
> the 128 MG chip.
>
> Any information would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Kay

Thanks everyone for your help. Went to OEMPCWORLD.com and ordered it there
for $38.85. It has an option to enter your system number and the RAM is
guaranteed to work in your computer. Sure beats 80.00 from Gateway.

Thanks
Kay

"Smith" <rangerxlt92@cox.net> wrote in message
> Is it a GP6 series PII? Post your Gateway computer serial number here so
we
> can see what type of RAM it is. My sister had a GP6 PII 333 and hers was
> PC100 168pin SDRAM, which is most likely what yours is. Here's an eBay
one
> for $33 delivered guarunteed compatable if that's your model (plus it
lists
> all other Gateway models it'll work with):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3472228087&category=14916

> Smith
>
> "Kay Greenly" <trailer@postoffice.ptd.net> wrote in message
> > Hi:
> > Placed a tech call to Gateway today regarding lockups on my system when
> > trying to open programs - basically Printshop, MS Money, MS works and my
> > E-mail all lock up when trying to open them. They have determined that
> do
> > not have enough RAM. I only have 64 MB but that has always been
> sufficient
> > before and I have recently cleaned up a lot of stuff on my computer and
> > deleted programs and files so I do not know why it is all of the sudden
> > problem. Anway, they gave me the option to buy more RAM or reformat my
> hard
> > drive. I do not want to get into reformatting the hard drive.
> >
> > They gave me a price of around 80.00 for 128 MB of RAM. I am seeing it
> > lot cheaper on E-bay. If I open the case will I be able to tell what I
> need
> > to buy by looking in there. (I see there are a lot of different
options
> on
> > this RAM in regard to number of pins, etc. ) I have a pentium II 400
mhz
> > processor. I am giving the computer to a relative to use as I bought a
> new
> > one so I don't want to spend a lot of money on it (or time).
> >
> > Will I need to take the 64 MB chip out or can that stay in in addition
> > the 128 MG chip.
> >
> > Any information would be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Kay

Kay,

Ordering elsewhere usually does. Gateway and all the other name brands charge
you a lot of money for the comfort of knowing that their "branded" memory will
work in their computer. You would also be paying some of that money for a
sticker that identifies the memory as "Genuine Gateway". Like all other
name-brand companies any more, Gateway does not use special memory,
motherboards, processors, CD-ROM drives, hard disk drives, etc. It's all
commodity stuff, and the difference among brands is often largely in the amount
and color of plastic on the chassis and the quality of the chassis itself. Shop
around a bit and do the research and save a bundle of money... Ben Myers

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 14:56:05 -0400, "Kay Greenly" <trailer@postoffice.ptd.net>
wrote:

>Thanks everyone for your help. Went to OEMPCWORLD.com and ordered it there
>for $38.85. It has an option to enter your system number and the RAM is
>guaranteed to work in your computer. Sure beats 80.00 from Gateway.
>
>Thanks
>Kay
>

>"Smith" <rangerxlt92@cox.net> wrote in message
>> Is it a GP6 series PII? Post your Gateway computer serial number here so
>we
>> can see what type of RAM it is. My sister had a GP6 PII 333 and hers was
>> PC100 168pin SDRAM, which is most likely what yours is. Here's an eBay
>one
>> for $33 delivered guarunteed compatable if that's your model (plus it
>lists
>> all other Gateway models it'll work with):
>>

>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3472228087&category=14916
>>
>> Smith
>>
>> "Kay Greenly" <trailer@postoffice.ptd.net> wrote in message
>> > Hi:
>> > Placed a tech call to Gateway today regarding lockups on my system when
>> > trying to open programs - basically Printshop, MS Money, MS works and my
>> > E-mail all lock up when trying to open them. They have determined that
>> do
>> > not have enough RAM. I only have 64 MB but that has always been
>> sufficient
>> > before and I have recently cleaned up a lot of stuff on my computer and
>> > deleted programs and files so I do not know why it is all of the sudden
>> > problem. Anway, they gave me the option to buy more RAM or reformat my
>> hard
>> > drive. I do not want to get into reformatting the hard drive.
>> >
>> > They gave me a price of around 80.00 for 128 MB of RAM. I am seeing it
>> > lot cheaper on E-bay. If I open the case will I be able to tell what I
>> need
>> > to buy by looking in there. (I see there are a lot of different
>options
>> on
>> > this RAM in regard to number of pins, etc. ) I have a pentium II 400
>mhz
>> > processor. I am giving the computer to a relative to use as I bought a
>> new
>> > one so I don't want to spend a lot of money on it (or time).
>> >
>> > Will I need to take the 64 MB chip out or can that stay in in addition
>> > the 128 MG chip.
>> >
>> > Any information would be appreciated.
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > Kay

Just be careful ordering RAM for older systems like this. Very common these
days are low-chip-count (high density) DIMMs -- a 4-chip 128 or an 8-chip
256. These are fine with newer systems (very late P3, P4 and Athlon) but
won't work with early PII/PIII/K6-x systems. You must use low density RAM
with the older Gateway 440BX and 440LX systems -- 8-chip 128s or 16-chip
256s.