Question Infrequent black screen while playing some games, forced to reset PSU to restart ?

Nov 26, 2022
Specs:
  • CPU: Ryzen 9 5950x
  • CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO
  • RAM: 32GB (4x8gb) G.SKILL DDR4 3200MHZ
  • MOBO: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
  • Storage: Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB (C drive) and TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan 1TB SSD
  • GPU: Sapphire Pulse 5700XT
  • PSU: Corsair RM850x
  • Cooling: 2- 140mm intake fans on front, one 140mm exhaust on back
  • No overclocking or underclocking
Issue:
For the past 2 months or so, when playing certain games (Squad, Bannerlord, Zero Hour, KSP ), my pc will randomly black screen, lose power to all peripherals, displays show no input, no sound coming through headphones, and the red cpu light on my mobo is lit up. The pc stays running, gpu stays on, fans stay on, but the physical power button on my tower will not restart my pc, I have to reach behind it and flip the switch on the psu. Other games I play, like Rimworld, SCUM, Going Medieval, and Prison Architect, I can play with no issue, for hours, without my pc crashing.

Temps:
CPU temp normally idles around 44C when doing light browsing, will get to around 60- 65C when playing games that don't cause it to crash. GPU stays 50C-60C and the junction temp is roughly 80C.

Steps I tried:
  1. Reapplying thermal paste. Issue still happens. Have not tried putting my stock Ryzen 5 3600 CPU cooler on to check bad CPU cooler.
  2. Changing PSU. I used to have a corsair 650 watt PSU, I recently put the 850x in thinking it could be a PSU issue, but the error still occurs.
  3. Updating chipset/drivers/BIOS. Current GPU driver is 22.11.1, BIOS is E7C02AMS.3FO, A-XMP is disabled.
Video of temps before crashing: here

Honestly I'm at a loss. I know the CPU temps seem to spike and what not before the crash, but it doesn't seem like they spike to levels that would cause it to crash. I reapplied the thermal paste once, maybe I should try it again and put my old Ryzen 5 3600 cooler back on and see if that fixes the issue? I would appreciate any help, it's been so frustrating only being able to play certain games with my friends.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
will get to around 60- 65C when playing games that don't cause it to crash

How about the games that do crash on you? How your temps are with those? Since it is possible those specific games make your CPU to overheat and thus, freezing the build.

To check temps prior to crash, use HWinfo64 and enable logging feature. This should save the telemetry up to the crash.

Btw, Hyper 212 is poor CPU cooler and i wouldn't put it on even 65W CPU, let alone 105W chip, like yours. So, if you have better CPU cooler around, try using that one.

-----

What Event Viewer says during the time of crashes? Namely Windows Logs -> System.

Are you running latest BIOS on your MoBo? Since according to MSI, latest BIOS is 7C02v3F,
link: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-TOMAHAWK-MAX/support

One option would be doing clean Win install, just in case issue is with software/OS, rather than hardware. This way, you can start fresh and if issue do remain, time to look towards hardware.

-----

5ry disabeling xmp

OP has already done that:
Updating chipset/drivers/BIOS. Current GPU driver is 22.11.1, BIOS is E7C02AMS.3FO, A-XMP is disabled.

Did you find a fix my pc is doing this

And you need to get back to your own topic, rather than trying to hijack this one. Your issue is completely different from OP issue.