Initial Chrome OS Cr-48 Hardware Impressions

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fstrthnu

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Ugh, no ethernet port. Doesn't google know that not everyone has great Wi-Fi networks (especially if you wanted to use this in a corporate environment)?

seboj

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
[citation][nom]pawessum16[/nom]Make it convertible into a touchscreen tablet and I'd go for it.[/citation]

Will undoubtedly happen. That, or Google drops Chrome OS completely in support of Android 3.0.

Also, why bother complaining about the CR-48? It's reference. By the time Chrome OS notebooks / netbooks / tablets come out, they won't look anything like these.

sudeshc

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
kind of feel that current hardware profile is created by keeping it in mind that this lappy is supposed to be a thin client.
Anyways its beautiful on outside.

Pawessum16

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
[citation][nom]seboj[/nom]Will undoubtedly happen. That, or Google drops Chrome OS completely in support of Android 3.0.Also, why bother complaining about the CR-48? It's reference. By the time Chrome OS notebooks / netbooks / tablets come out, they won't look anything like these.[/citation]
Yeah, true, it was more of an idle comment. I really can't find myself having a need for anything that doesn't have a full blown windows OS and the hardware to support. I also believe (all personal opinion) that the future for portable devices is touch screens. I personally am not going to buy a portable device in the future that doesn't have a touchscreen (laptops included) and if it doesn't fit in my pocket then it might as well have a full keyboard (I don't understand the hype behind this tablet craze, I'd rather get a netbook that would have greater functionality for an equivalent price). Also, aren't netbooks on the decline? So, I don't see the niche for this product in todays world (maybe two years ago when the netbook craze was at it's prime) especially when you see plenty of articles on here about cell companies not being able to hold up to network usage, which makes for somewhat restricted on the go web surfing.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Probably the best looking low performance notebook/netbook ever. Minimalist, elegant and durable looking.

As for the comment on the Atom: there is a market for low end netbooks and given Chrome OS's promise of low hardware requirements, Atom might very well do the trick.

I do hope they'll release a 'premium' version, with an additional 1-2" of screen real estate and a full blown CULV processor. Perhaps a Sandy Bridge CULV? The superior integrated graphics sure would give the notebook a boost...

There's still one small thingy I keep asking myself everytime I see this notebook: where did the name Cr-48 come from? IIRC, there isn't an isotope of Cr with mass number 48, nor can I think of any other connection between Cr and 48.

G

The design seems right to me, and perfect for whatever Chinese company is going to manufacture them. With no brand badging, they won't have to bother making a copy of another company's logo etc. to try and sell a rip-off of their own. Just start cranking them out as fast as they can.

Lutfij

Titan
apart from the silly idea of having all your content on the net, i reallylike the netbooks appearance. Design is subjective. Though i'd love to see the innards of the netty...hands on Cr-48

G

Looks great! I'm digging the minimalism. If only they'd come out with a slightly larger screen & more powerful processor :) Can't wait to see what's in store.

G

so i've been testing this for about a week now, and there's nothing in the settings/OS that allows using that Bluetooth radio. guess they'll add this feature as later updates roll out.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
What possible relevance could the CPU power or brand, or memory size be to a user? What nonsensical, irrelevant comments. You're using the system, not writing the OS. How could you know what the memory requirements would be for this entirely new and different OS/platform? How could you possibly guess the performance or memory needs of something you know nothing about?

tu_illegalamigo

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
I hope there`s an ARM based netbook coming out too, especially with the a15 around the corner, that`ll really increase the power while keeping battery drain low.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]What possible relevance could the CPU power or brand, or memory size be to a user? What nonsensical, irrelevant comments. You're using the system, not writing the OS. How could you know what the memory requirements would be for this entirely new and different OS/platform? How could you possibly guess the performance or memory needs of something you know nothing about?[/citation]

Because we know a great deal about it...

1) It's UI is extremely simple and largely devoid of flashy effect (similar to the cognate browser), thus reducing hardware requirements.
2) We can all see the source code, so we know as much about it as we want to.
3) It's based on a modified, trimmed Linux kernel. Further trimming a fairly lightweight kernel is sure to yield performance benefits.

What relevance could CPU power have to a user? Well, let me take whatever PC you're using atm and swap it for an archaic Pentium I or something...

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]tu_illegalamigo[/nom]I hope there`s an ARM based netbook coming out too, especially with the a15 around the corner, that`ll really increase the power while keeping battery drain low.[/citation]

The OS supports ARM and ARM seems keen to be become more than a SoC-component vendor, so I'm sure Chrome OS will pair with ARM pretty soon.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
Very minimalist, and business! A nice copy of the visual design of the base macbook from 4 years ago. I hate that every laptop is a billboard with tacky stickers that you can't remove.

Status
Not open for further replies.