Inland Silver Series 500 watt PSU experiences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewtonUsaro

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
Hey, new guy here.

I'm looking for an inexpensive PSU to build some web browser PCs for friends and family. A PSU that might also have the ability to power a lower end graphics card. Micro Center has a house brand PSU with the brand name Inland with 28 amps on the 12v rail. They call it a 500 watt PSU, but it's really about 350. I'm aware of this, but all the other numbers look pretty good. It's not 80 plus certified, but it has all the major protections. My question is has anybody used this PSU before? Any good/bad experiences?

I'm fully aware that it's not manufactured by Seasonic, and that a little bit more money will get me a lot better PSU. I'm just looking for something inexpensive that won't blow up next week.

Thanks

NewtonUsaro

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
Not to be dickish, but have you actually used the PSU? That's the feedback I'm looking for. I do appreciate the feedback, but I'm not looking to buy a $60 Antec or Corsair.

If anybody has got something similar in the neighborhood of $30 WITHOUT a rebate I'm interested, though.

Its funny to watch noobs buy these cheap no name units and then come back a month later when their system is unstable or even worse it blows up. Do not skimp on your power supply it is the most important component in your system. The power supply can be the root cause of a lot of problems from instability to early hardware failure.

pjbeee

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011

I just put the (Micro Center) Inland "500W" supply (SKU: 957415) into a system that has an Asus P8H67-M PRO mobo, Core i5 2400 CPU, 8GB DDR3-1333 Ram, a 120GB Vertex 2 SSD, 2 x 2TB 7200RPM Hitachi drives, and an LG DVD-RAM drive (running Win7Pro, BTW).

The PS is a bit on the light-weight side - I bet it puts out a lot less than 500W, but I have no proof of this - nonetheless it seems to power the machine just fine, and it's quiet enough - it has one of those 120mm fans.

I originally had an OCZ 580W supply in the box, but ran short by one SATA power connector and didn't have an adapter handy - silly me, I had boxes of them at home but wasn't at home, but I did have this other supply standing by.

I'll try and remember to come back here and let you know if it blows itself up or exhibits any other odd behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.