Inno3D Reveals Pair Of Overclocked GTX 1060 Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

3ogdy

Distinguished

It does. Why not have something that can make some noise inside your computer? Why not pretend the GPU features an armor, because it's a soldier, a gun, a sword...whatever but a GPU. Why not gather a bit more dust as time passes by? Why would anyone waste such a great opportunity?

Moar fans="kool'r".

It would probably lower operating temps, but as you've said, it won't take overclocks to new realms.

Overkill ? You are suggesting the the 1070 which exhibits thermal throttling is a better idea ?

Sure did for the 1070

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1070/28.html

Idle temperatures are excellent, which is no wonder since the fans don't stop in idle. During gaming, the card goes above 82°C, which results in lower clocks due to Boost 3.0

temp.png

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_1070_Gaming_X/28.html

Idle temperatures are excellent even with the fans turning off in idle. During gaming, the card also runs much cooler than the reference design, which avoids clock throttling above 82°C.

temp.png

Unlike the 9xx and 100xx series, we are not going to see a lot of 20 - 30+% OCs. NVidia has taken a page outta AMDs book and aggressively clocked the cards in the box which is why we see such a large jump from previous generation.

iLLz

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2003
Haters gonna hate, huh? Ya'll find any reason to complain these days. So now we are complaining about aftermarket coolers being overkill? Anything to sh!t on Nvidia I guess. With the amount of rabid AMD fanboys I've seen dumping all over everything Nvidia, you'd think AMD would turn a profit in the last few years since so many people buy AMD and ONLY AMD.

I thought I was on an enthusiast site for technology, you guys should be more appreciative.

rAw_toAst

Commendable
Jul 8, 2016
With the ever shrinking size and power requirements of tech moving forward, I would really like to see the arrival of modern cards in low profile/half height form factor so we could cram all that power in to a tiny place. For the time being, a gtx 750 ti is about the best you can get in that form factor. The 750 ti is still a little beast, though...

sanien

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
They do get hot as they are OC'ed. This is clear on every bench out there. I prefer more/bigger fans that runs slow=quiet rather than few that runs fast.

kamhagh

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
Even the reference was good! But it sounds like jet engines! So nice!!! 3 fans might be overkill. We have to wait for price too. I think i would get a nornal asus 2fan model :D

Quixit

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014

Smaller coolers = cheaper cards. We're talking about cards that are mid-range at best here. I don't have a problem with them making cards like this, but I wouldn't recommend anyone buy one.

Like those multi-fan GTX 750 TIs, where a small heatsink and single fan can keep the card cool and nearly silent, there is only so much cooling capacity you can possibly need. That's what overkill is, paying more for something you're never going to use. It's a bigger problem on lower-end cards, which run cooler anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.