Innovation at Apple is 'Sputtering', Says Analyst

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sixdegree

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
Reading this article make me want to be an analyst too. I could say many negative things about anything and make it to the news.

G

I would like to see Apple Innoivate past using Intel Processors in their laptops maybe they could start with an ARM 64 based CPU, with AMD or other graphics, priced less than the AIR! Apple computers already have thunderbolt ports on them, maybe if some users need more processing power, Apple could build a thunderbolt expansion box for additional CPUs and GPUs for its laptops! Apple should continue to license ARM IP and they appear to be abble to, in house tweak, ARM and the PowerVR GPU to get more out of the technology.

[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]We used to have tablets without touch screen, you know.Hint: Reality Distortion Field.[/citation]
We used to have tablets WITH touch before Apple, as well...
Hint: Apple's innovation is not quite... innovating.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]s3anister[/nom]Busy day of Apple news for Zak Islam...[/citation]
Too bad he doesn'tt bother to verify anything before posting...which results in him posting more lies than facts... They really should add a disclaimer to his articles that states "facts were not considered in the writing of this article"

hitbids

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
Everyone here bashing touchscreen on PCs are clueless. Touchscreen can be way more precise and easier to use than a mouse in a lot of computing activities. Yes, the mouse is still better for certain things, but it's better to have the option to use both inputs rather than just the mouse. Apple will soon have touchscreen on their Macs as well. You are delusional if you think otherwise. Stop acting like old farts and realize that touchscreens aren't just a fad and are here to stay. I guarantee that everyone here bashing touchscreens will be using them and loving them on their PCs within the next two years. If you have actually used touchscreen on a PC, you will agree with me.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]They sold what 5 of them?If I make a flying car that no one buys and has zero consumer market interest, but hey I was first to market so I should get credit for the billion dollar industry that exists not because of me but by competitors' products?[/citation]

Actually, yeah. Considering the only reason Apple's effort worked and Microsoft's didn't was because Apple can market things and Microsoft can't (see Circ De Soleil Kinect event; *shivers*) I don't see why Microsoft and other companies can't take credit for the market.

The XP based Microsoft tablet can do much, much more than the iPad, and it's almost a decade old. It has flash, it can browse the internet, watch videos, play music, edit media, and everything a Windows computer can do.

For Apple, marketing comes first. "It's easy to use," so make it simple and limited.

Of course, XP isn't designed for touch input so now we have the Surface tablet and soon the Surface Pro. They are evolutions of the XP tablet, not the iPad. Because that tablet was first.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]DjEaZy[/nom]... touch on a desktop and proper laptop is stupid... period...[/citation]
Touch on a laptop actually isn't that bad because of how close the screen is to the keyboard. I had an hp tx2500 convertible tablet PC and found myself using the touch screen to switch between programs on the taskbar as all I had to do was move a finger up and tap. Much easier than going down to the touchpad, repositioning the cursor and clicking.
I do agree with touch screens for desktops though. Unless it's one of those kiosks at a hotel or something similar.

wedouglas

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012
[citation][nom]DjEaZy[/nom]... touch on a desktop and proper laptop is stupid... period...[/citation]

Why is added functionality stupid? Just because you have no use for it? While touch may not be the most useful thing on a desktop or laptop currently, you can't say that it's useless. I can think of many uses for such a display and would gladly take it rather than not.

You know who would also benefit from a touch screen? My grandma and a million other old people. You know how I know? Because I just got an email from my mom asking if there were any touch screen TV's/computers for her to use.

Just because you don't need touchscreen to browse the Internet or code doesn't mean there is no use for it or that it is stupid. All one needs to make it useful is an application that makes good use of it. In a year Apple will put touchscreens in their laptops and iMacs, and create some app to showcase it and all the Apple people will say how awesome it is.

adgjlsfhk

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
[citation][nom]echondo[/nom]"Why is that Apple, the company that brought touch to phones and tablets, stopped just there and did not bring touch to notebooks and iMacs?"Really? Apple brought touch screens to phones and tablets first?This Chowdry guy is an idiot.[/citation]
Apple did not have the first touch phones, but they had the first touch that actually works for me. I have a touch phone now, and the touch is awful. In tablets, Apple also had the first touch tablet (or any tablet) that sold.

krr711

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
Why would I want to to reach all the way up to the screen every time I want to change to a new page or detail when I can move a mouse a few millimeters or glide a finger on a touch pad? It seems like windows 8 is a step backwards in technology. With all of the progress Google and Apple have collectively made in the last ten years and this is all Microsoft can come up with? Save your money.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Did you know in 2007 they were going to release the iPad in 2010? Did you know in 2004 they were going to release the iPhone in 2007? Who knows what they're working on? How often must a company come up with a game-changing product? It's been 2 years since the first iPad, do they have to come up with such a product every 2 years? What does that say about Microsoft and Google? What were their game-changing products in the last 2 years or 5 years for that matter?[/citation]

Well I don't know if you are blind or what, but Windows 7 and Android seem pretty damn game changing. Kinect, Google's self-driving car, Google providing internet for FREE to a damn city, Microsoft's consoles, Microsoft's E-Mail services etc..

List is too long my friend.

azraa

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
[citation][nom]AppleInnovates[/nom]I would like to see Apple Innoivate past using Intel Processors in their laptops maybe they could start with an ARM 64 based CPU, with AMD or other graphics, priced less than the AIR! Apple computers already have thunderbolt ports on them, maybe if some users need more processing power, Apple could build a thunderbolt expansion box for additional CPUs and GPUs for its laptops! Apple should continue to license ARM IP and they appear to be abble to, in house tweak, ARM and the PowerVR GPU to get more out of the technology.[/citation]

Thunderbolt connections are now being licenced for PC use, there are already a few motherboards with that feature, which, by the way, is almost one of the only Pros that Apple has on its hardware side.
So if you ask me, considering USB3 the current standard and Thunderbolt, while good, now available for PC, I'd say Apple has nothing innovative to introduce to the tech world right now.

Donsai

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
[citation][nom]madjimms[/nom]Zak Islam...... *facepalm*[/citation]
Zak Islam is the new Marcus Yam. Useless.

tmshdw

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011

And... Who the hell wants touch on a laptop. I'd be annoyed if I have to keep reaching for the screen on my laptop.

I'm fine with a tablet for casual surfing and browsing. But for working I use a laptop and a mouse.

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
It does not take an Analyst to tell us anything in this story, it takes common sense. Innovation has been lost, the reason for all the other devices announced soon after.To cover a small gap in the market where the devices may fit in. Keeping the cash cow running.

sivaseemakurthi

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2012
I don't like touchscreens on my laptops and desktops, and I don't know anyone who does. The smudges are annoying and it's more ergonomic to use a mouse or trackpad. I don't want to reach up and poke at a screen especially when it's sitting far away from me

You don't want touch because of the smudges! Seriously! Are the ipads free of smudges? Or you don't touch it for the fear of smudging the screen.
But irrespective of the comments, if Apple releases ipad 5 and iphone 6 tomorrow people will line up to buy them. I wonder if apple even makes biscuits to eat, people will go crazy.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]They didn't bring touch to Macs because touch only makes sense on handheld devices and kiosks. It's not a new idea, it's not new technology and it's not innovative. It's just a gimmick, there will be a wave of touch enabled PCs and then they'll quietly go away, just like previous gimmicks like voice recognition and 3D.As for Apple, they've made a killiing in the last 10 years with iPod, iPhone and iPad. Now they're just making obscene profits and probably working on something new that may be 2 or 5 years out. You can't expect a company to come out with an insanely profitable game-changer every few years. They dominated the MP3 player market with iPod, they dominated the smartphone market with iPhone and they dominated the tablet market with iPad. When was the last time Microsoft pulled off something like that? Windows 95 and Office were their last game-changers that they just built on over the years. Zune was a failure, Kin was a failure, Windows Phone was and is a failure and Xbox wasn't dominant in the console market at any point (it was a multi-billion hole for Microsoft and it was being outsold by Wii 2:1). So yeah, Microsoft is really changing the world with their square widgets, sorry, "Live tiles" and their kickstand equipped tablet. Amazing innovation.[/citation]

voice recognition is getting there, i use dragon on and off for dictation, paired with a good mic, its so much better than typing for me (im 23wpm at best)

3d, in a desktop environment, yea i can see that failing, but i also see vr and possibly a 3d flat desktop, something that could simulate 24+ monitors of screen relestate.

point being, tech needs to catch up to ideas.

on a desktop, you need a 2-300$ monitor mount so you can get the screen into your lap comfortably, and back up as a monitor when you are done. that si something that none o these monitors ship with yet. and the good touch is reserved for monitors that are wacom branded and i believe at least 1500$ with the good ones at 2500$

[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Did you know in 2007 they were going to release the iPad in 2010? Did you know in 2004 they were going to release the iPhone in 2007? Who knows what they're working on? How often must a company come up with a game-changing product? It's been 2 years since the first iPad, do they have to come up with such a product every 2 years? What does that say about Microsoft and Google? What were their game-changing products in the last 2 years or 5 years for that matter?[/citation]

the people who follow apple, they were predicting the slate (ipad) for a good 10 years and when the ipod came around they were wondering what they would put it in next. the iphone, as much as an inovation as it was, was really an ipod a phone and a camera with some power for simple web browsing... an idea that isnt that hard to imagine even back than, i mean there were pda phones right?

wedouglas

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012

Why are you assuming that the point of a touchscreen is to replace the touchpad? The benefits of a touchscreen lies in applications geared and optimized for touching. The only reason you can't fathom touch being useful on a laptop is because there aren't any application geared for it yet and you are assuming that it is supposed to replace a touchpad rather than complement it.

How about something super obvious, like not having to buy an intuous tablet so you can accurately draw in something like Photoshop or sign your name on a digital form? How about games that have touch screen optimization or games that revolve entirely around multi-touch? How about being to accurately and efficiently manipulate things on the screen with exact precision? Ever run out of room and hit the edge of your touchpad when trying to select a bunch of things? Can you play something like Whack-a-mole on your touchpad or with a mouse?

There are so many things that a touchpad sucks for and that having something like an intuous tablet is overkill for. If you can do something with a touchpad, you can do it with a touchscreen, however you can't necessarily do something on a touchpad that you can do on a touchscreen.

Added benefit. No one is forcing anyone to use it, but it definitely allows for things that a touchpad/mouse just aren't good for.

egmccann

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
"Apple's innovation is sputtering. Why is that Apple, the company that brought touch to phones and tablets, stopped just there and did not bring touch to notebooks and iMacs? "

... for the same reason I don't have an ice cream maker and shower nozzle in the dashboard of my car.

mariusmotea

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
A laptop with a touchscreen is not really an inovative product. My laptop is build with touchscreen display, but i never use it, as my hands need to rest on something. I cannot stay longer that 5 minutes with my hands horizontally. On a tablet is very comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.