Question Input Lag/Display Problems Related to Power?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CrucialNUGS

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
Well here goes, Ive been dealing with this issue for awhile so hopefully I can get some advice.

Symptoms:

Input lag across the board in both games and windows, both mouse and keyboard inputs are inconsistent and change over time. At times the dpi increments on my mouse hardly change the sensitivity, other times it adjusts a ton. The monitor display suffers hitches, and micro stutters, of the same varying consistency. Makes game play at 140fps and below look and feel like 60 or lower. Internet webpages load slower, you tube videos and twitch buffer at random times with no packet loss. At times the lag is minimal at times its unbearable. The input lag and video hitches seem entirely inconsistent however I have found that nearly any hardware state change/software change can affect it to varying degrees. This is 100% not a software problem as I have seen this across multiple versions of Windows, games, a Nintendo switch as well.

Things I have tried:

3 different PC's (completely different specs)
3 different monitors (120hz, 144hz, 240hz)
5 different mice (Logitech G-Pro x2 models , Razer Deathadder x3 models)
3 different mousepads
3 different keyboards
Using different circuits and configurations around the house. (some work better than others, however input lag is still present)
Different power strips, power conditioners
Tested for outlet grounding with 3 pronged tester.

Things that change the mouse/keyboard behavior and monitors display quality:

Moving the monitor/router/modems/pcs power cord to different outlets, different power strips etc. Note: My Wi-Fi does not even work if my router/modem are on the same outlet/power strip- the signal shows up but no connection.
Changing which USB ports the keyboard/mice are plugged into.
Applying tinfoil to any power cord, or mice/keyboard USB cables.
Applying Ferrite beads to any of the above cords.
Changing nearly any BIOS/Windows 10 settings.
Adjusting GPU fan/power settings.
Adjusting nearly any settings in NVIDIA control panel change the mouse behavior.
Adjusting/propping up the GPU (seems like the positioning changes mouse behavior heavily).
Changing case fan profiles- usually lowering fan speed/power is better.
Monitor settings (brightness, color, resolution).
Placing phone onto the PC case (doubles mouse sensitivity immediately).
Changing where the router/modem is or moving the power cords.
Separating all cables from each other.

Other things of note:

Nintendo Switch controllers have the same input lag.
PC hums when its plugged in but not on. Sound quality on headphones/speakers is occasionally better or worst. Speakers have an audible hum.

So I am a bit at a loss, it has to be something with my houses wiring or a ground loop being created somewhere, raising the noise floor in the system which in turns causes data loss? There seems to be others out there with nearly the exact same symptoms but none of the solutions they have given so far seem to solve the problem indefinitely. The input lag always comes back and mouse/keyboard behavior is totally inconsistent. At times it operates nearly perfectly but not for long.

I am considering purchasing a double conversion UPS as some people recommended that if it is power related, which I do not see how it couldn't be. Anyway if you have any thoughts/advice it would be much appreciated. There seems to be more than a few people out there with this problem or close to it. A few of us cross referenced symptoms and affects and found nearly the exact same things. How can I fix it if its a ground loop or other power related issue? Thanks if this is the wrong place to ask point me in the right direction.

Some other threads/docs relating to the issue:

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/bafhfe/update_after_years_of_mouse_input_lag_and_other/

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/5kdwoq/mouse_movement_is_delayedweirdinconsistent_and/

https://www.overclock.net/forum/6-i...os-optimization-guide-modern-pc-hardware.html

https://www.overclock.net/forum/375...my-mouse-lag-general-input-lag-problem-5.html

https://community.amd.com/thread/235028

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?16546-Major-input-lag-caused-by-Power-issues-in-House

Reactions: MrVIT
Dec 29, 2019
Watch the language
Over the years of searching, I have not found anyone who knows how to solve this particular problem like ours.
I know people who moved to another house / apartment and they lost this lag. I also know people whom it did not help.
New computer components, peripherals do not help. Everything that can be done in windows does not help, rummaged through the entire registry and nothing)
I have not met a person who completely changed the wiring of the house, maybe this will help .. Perhaps there is a problem with these plates on the roof of the building, photo below. Some kind of interference or something like that.
I was with a friend in the APARTMENT, and on his good system everything is as bad as mine. Then I went to a friend in a private house, and on his bad system everything is much faster and better than mine.

I don't know how to solve it, maybe it's a virus that can't be removed, maybe something else. Removed coronavirus has long been in our computer. I wish you all good luck.

View: https://imgur.com/a/6IX7O1h

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 17, 2019
same problem for me . tried everything i can do . checked the grounding system in my house still no use . two of my friends pc works fine with the same wall outlet in my house . i think its the i5 8600k causing this issues idk .
my specs are :
i5 8600k (rma 'd it got a new 8600k still same problem)
msi z390a-pro (or) asrock z370 killer ali/ac
ram- hyperx 2800mhz (or) corsair vengence 2400mhz (or) adata 2400mhz
gpu i tried : msi 980ti and zotac rtx 2060
psu i tried : corsair cx 750 and corsair rm1000
cases i tried : corsair spec 03 and thermal vg200
tried running without a case too . no change
mouses : razer deathadder and logitech g403
three different keyboards
four different monitors : acer 144hz, aoc 60hz, benq 60hz, samsung 60hz
used different cables, sound cards both pcie and usb, usb ethernet adapters, thro wifi
mouse pads : steel series and logitech
my friends pc spec :
friend1 :
i5 7400
asus h110 mobo
zotac gtx 1660i
friend2 :
i5 6600k
gigabyte b250
msi 980ti
as u can see none of my friends pc are overclockable
(sry for my poor english :D ) little bit better if i use win 8.1 but cant support lot of drivers .
idk what else i could try . i overcloked my pc, tried stock settings, updated bios in both mobos.
tried different nvidia drivers smh

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2019
same problem for me . tried everything i can do . built a new grounding system in my house still no use . two of my friends pc works fine with the same wall outlet in my house . i think its the i5 8600k causing this issues idk .
my specs are :
i5 8600k (rma 'd it got a new 8600k still same problem)
msi z390a-pro (or) asrock z370 killer ali/ac
ram- hyperx 2800mhz (or) corsair vengence 2400mhz (or) adata 2400mhz
gpu i tried : msi 980ti and zotac rtx 2060
psu i tried : corsair cx 750 and corsair rm1000
cases i tried : corsair spec 03 and thermal vg200
tried running without a case too . no change
mouses : razer deathadder and logitech g403
three different keyboards
four different monitors : acer 144hz, aoc 60hz, benq 60hz, samsung 60hz
used different cables, sound cards both pcie and usb, usb ethernet adapters, thro wifi
mouse pads : steel series and logitech
my friends pc spec :
friend1 :
i5 7400
asus h110 mobo
zotac gtx 1660i
friend2 :
i5 6600k
gigabyte b250
msi 980ti
as u can see none of my friends pc are overclockable
(sry for my poor english :D ) little bit better if i use win 8.1 but cant support lot of drivers .
idk what else i could try . i overcloked my pc, tried stock settings, updated bios in both mobos.
tried different nvidia drivers smh
this guy has the same problem https://social.technet.microsoft.co...c-drivers-up-to-date?forum=win10itprohardware

Dec 17, 2019
YES YES YES I FOUND THE CULPRIT!!!!!! my mouse response and hitreg in games feels ureal . call of duty feels like i have aim assist wtf . i am pretty sure this is something about grounding where the fault current cannot go to the ground asap . poor grounding i guess . but i checked with a electrician in my house he said everything is normal . what im gonna do is redo the whole grounding/earthing in my house from scratch . i have wasted one year of my gaming life with this crap . i tried call of duty black ops 2, black ops 3, black ops 4, csgo, pubg, pubgmobile with emulater . didnt change anything in my pc or in peripherals . played some online games too . if u have any dought please ask me . my english is not that good but i will try to explain . thanks for everyone who tried to help me and good luck for anyone who has this problem . may god bless gamers <3

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2020
this is the gamers worst nightmare, playing at high level is no longer possible, (even at low level it mostly feels like u lucky if u win)because of that annoying very small delay, everything i tried and saw on the internet ( and theres not alot out there since this problem is apperantly really rare) didnt work, i have this problem for over 3 years,and on 2 diffrent pcs, 1 of them should run all games without a problem but ofc it doesnt, all games and windows have this lag,i really wish one day someone will have 100% fix for this, but for now it feels like a problem we have to live with :/

Dec 31, 2019
this is the gamers worst nightmare, playing at high level is no longer possible, (even at low level it mostly feels like u lucky if u win)because of that annoying very small delay, everything i tried and saw on the internet ( and theres not alot out there since this problem is apperantly really rare) didnt work, i have this problem for over 3 years,and on 2 diffrent pcs, 1 of them should run all games without a problem but ofc it doesnt, all games and windows have this lag,i really wish one day someone will have 100% fix for this, but for now it feels like a problem we have to live with :/
+++++

CrucialNUGS

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
Go and read my update on this thread: https://www.overclock.net/forum/375...eyboard-input-lag-related-5.html#post28205310

If you can post in there about your problems it would be appreciated. I have found the cause and it is indeed an issue of high impedance grounding. The causes could be different for you but in my update I explain how all of this can produce the affects we have seen. I am currently having work done on my house to alleviate these issues. The cause of the compromised grounding is complex though and not easily remedied. The reason for your grounding impedance being high may be different based on where you live, how many neighbors you have, if you have metallic shared water mains etc. Good luck all and I hope this helps to clear everything up!

Mar 21, 2020
Go and read my update on this thread: https://www.overclock.net/forum/375...eyboard-input-lag-related-5.html#post28205310

If you can post in there about your problems it would be appreciated. I have found the cause and it is indeed an issue of high impedance grounding. The causes could be different for you but in my update I explain how all of this can produce the affects we have seen. I am currently having work done on my house to alleviate these issues. The cause of the compromised grounding is complex though and not easily remedied. The reason for your grounding impedance being high may be different based on where you live, how many neighbors you have, if you have metallic shared water mains etc. Good luck all and I hope this helps to clear everything up!
Hi, I have the exact same issue as you. I have tested everything, from hardware and software, to buying an expensive ups system, to having an electrician out to look for issues such as a loose neutral. I have even had my ISP out to check their wiring. I am now having our electric provider out to check for harmonics. Are you certain that the root cause of the issue in your case was indeed high impedance grounding? Our house is currently using two ground rods but I haven't had the resistance tested yet. It makes me wonder if the ground cable to the main panel could be loose. This is the most frustrating issue I have ever experienced. I have noticed that the meter on the side of our house makes a very high pitched noise which is why I am having harmonics checked. Also, I ran an experiment just to see if anything interesting would happen. I ungrounded our ISP cables at the panel outside of our home and then tested mouse input for any noticeable change. It dramatically affected the feel, but it wasn't any more consistent. I then added a seperate ground rod specifically to isolate the ISP cables from our main ground. This actually improved mouse input, but the underlying issue was not resolved. Also, creating two different ground points is not advised. I only did it for the sake of testing. It caused packet loss until I rewired it correctly. This really leads me to believe that it has something to do with the way our ISPs wire our houses. I have a theory but I am not sure how to test it. Our ISP is also our phone provider and we have phone lines running through our walls. Could noise from the ISP be leaking on to other circuits from the phone lines somehow?

CrucialNUGS

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
Thanks for sharing AggrJack you seem to be troubleshooting this correctly rather than many people with this issue. I PMd you to discuss this through other means as forum posts are not very conducive to conversations like this (see my OCN thread to know why).

CrucialNUGS

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
Yeah that would be awesome if it was a hardware issue but I own 3 completely different desktops. 1 Is practically brand new, I own 4 PSUs, 2 NVME SSDs, 3 SATA SSDs, 3 GPUS, 3 CPUs, 3 motherboards (MSI, Asrock, Asus), 3 Kits of Samsung B Die Ram, many different mice (5 currently, have tried up to 10 though), many versions of every single cable in my setup (Ethernets UTP and STP Cat 6-8), 3x certified Display Port cables (tested many HDMI and DVI as well), coaxial cables, multiple Keyboards, 2x monitors (240hz and a 120hz- and I have tested 3 other montiors), multiple routers/modems.

I would have loved for it to be a hardware issue but I have completely ruled that out not to mention I have these issues on my laptop (on battery), Nintendo Switch and even my X1 Cable Boxes. This issue effects all electronics in my home I am confident. You can go read my other posts if you want more info I am not going to waste my time explaining all the same stuff to you that I have done multiple times for other people that do not believe it. My goal is not to prove to you that this is possible, it is to find the solution to dealing with this electrical interference (or lack of proper grounding) that makes this possible.

sonexs

Prominent
Feb 13, 2019
YES YES YES I FOUND THE CULPRIT!!!!!! my mouse response and hitreg in games feels ureal . call of duty feels like i have aim assist wtf . i am pretty sure this is something about grounding where the fault current cannot go to the ground asap . poor grounding i guess . but i checked with a electrician in my house he said everything is normal . what im gonna do is redo the whole grounding/earthing in my house from scratch . i have wasted one year of my gaming life with this crap . i tried call of duty black ops 2, black ops 3, black ops 4, csgo, pubg, pubgmobile with emulater . didnt change anything in my pc or in peripherals . played some online games too . if u have any dought please ask me . my english is not that good but i will try to explain . thanks for everyone who tried to help me and good luck for anyone who has this problem . may god bless gamers <3
i came across this forum because im dealing with the same problem over few years... changed whole pc, changed display, mouse, keyboard, cables... problem persist. changed and tweaked windows, bios, network, change isp... problem still there. the only thing never thanges was my house... maybe move would be next step.

you said your problem is fixed at your uncles house.
you were able to fix the problem at your house by grounding too?

Apr 8, 2020
hello , im suffering from this same problem for like 4 years now that affects all my electronic equipements and i can tell you 100% that it's an alternative current problem , check your wall AC frequency , must be stable at 50 or 60 hz and Sinusoidal or it will affect all the transformers and thus all your equipements will work with less performance . and sorry for my bad english .

May 7, 2019
I'm also the one who's hit by this... I don't even know how much time already passed by for me trying to troubleshoot this issue.

Funny thing is I was able today to observe it to occur real-time, cause for me the issue could simply come and go... which is weird. Today was the first time I was able to sense it, which a lot of you would prodably don't believe in... I sensed the moment when it goes from buttery smooth to subtle input-lag <Mod Edit> and the transition of it from smooth to <Mod Edit> was pretty much smooth, so subtle, yet easily noticable... I still couldn't believe when I felt it.

Anyway I tried to fixed the grounding in my house and outlets, it did something, but the problem was still there... I'm pretty much sure that there could be more than 1 issue that leads to the symptoms a lot of you experiencing in this thread, improper grounding/bad grouding or no grounding at all, might be one of them, but it could not be the case at all, or it could not fix your problem entirely, anyway that's still something worth to look for and "fix".

My 2nd fix was rather pretty simple, but overlooked by me soo much... it was malfunctioning surge protector power strip, I changed the broken fuses and the problem feels different again... but it wasn't solved fully... cause despite changing the fuses, the strip seems to make some problems anyway, even when it seems to work flawlessly, the experience with it and without it is pretty noticeable.

So that's my another "tip" check your power strips, surge protectors etc. try to fix them, change the fuses, or even replace strip as a whole if needed and try plugging your PC without them just to test.

yet another thing in my case seems to be the outlets itself.

In my main room where I have my PC in, I have only single outlet in which I plug the power strip to, then my PC with monitors to the Strip, and it seems to malfunction...

and in the other room when I have 2 socket outlets one next to the other, and when I plug my PC with 1 Monitor directly to the outlets = I have no lag or whatsover... but It forces me to use the PC in the Room that I'm not usually in, so that's not a fix, rather an alternative, still a good way to try, and test...

but I was amazed that I was able to enjoy playing for 20 minutes while kneeling on the floor with my PC on couch, compared to my horror experiences and annoying struggles in my main room...

Sooo yea...

Also this problems seem to affect not only Input Lag, but in my case also the ability of GPU or Monitor (I don't really know, maybe both) to get a proper antialiasing... I mean, the antialiasing is working and everything regardless if I have this issue or not... but when I do experience this issue and I know it's currently affecting me, then I see subtle shimmering of antialasing while standing still in games, it seems like some interference or noise over the most jagged edges, which is almost totally non-existent and it's barely visible in my second room without the problem. So while it's something that actually amazes me, and I wouldn't believe in something like this, if someone told me that. I'm sooo fuckin suprised at this fact, but that's something pretty easy reproductable in my case, so I know that I'm not crazy... yet again I couldn't believe that it's actually something that could be seen and it's tied to some sort of "electricity" issue. Because the PC and display seems to function perfectly normal, when it actually not... It seems like PC is able to work regardless, but trembling af internally, and it's so subtle, yet absoultely noticable when you're sensitive enough to almost entirely ruin your gameplay or even simple scrolling in browser to seem different.

I don't know what to do next, or what the Main Culprit could be, and how to get rid of it once and for all, but the thing I know for sure, is that while we're looking for a culprit, there's actually; in my opinion, at least 4 or 5 problems that can produce such problems, and the fix will not be universal to all of us.

I don't know much about electricity, and I seem to be unable to explain it to others in my home, and I think that I can't really do anything about it, but I will continue my struggles, and will update my response when I will know something more possibly helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 26, 2020
All of these are not logical such as electrical problem bla bla bla. I don't believe that. When I set the power settings for my intel i7 8700k High Performance to Balanced everything runs perfectly. There is a stupid problem between intel cpu and motherboard and also Windows 10 I guess. I can not understand this because I have high-end PC but I will never buy intel processor again. In addition while playing games I see for example cpu1 hits to 100%. Why? Other cores are sleeping.

Last edited:

CrucialNUGS

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
Well figured I should update this thread as I know many have this issue. The testing and research we have been doing has been happening on other forums. I believe the cause is elevated EMF (or related to this). Another guy reported having the exact same objectionable currents on grounding conductors- water pipes). His thread is here: https://www.overclock.net/forum/375...g-input-de-synchronization-input-loss-20.html

If you do not think it is possible that electrical interference can cause these problems please do not bother to post. We do not have time to convince you, so do not waste yours or our time. Thanks. I appreciate folks chiming in that they too have concluded it is electrically caused. @kassas77 I have tried to measure my AC frequency and it is extremely steady 60hz.

Reactions: kassas77
Apr 26, 2020
Lol. Alright I believe in you. Tell me a solution then. Your AC frequency is 60hz right? This is perfect so where is the problem? My house insurance and cables have changed. Result? Nothing, I have input lag, display lag, can not hear enemy's steps perfectly in fps games, my documents open slowly and other interesting problems still on there.. On the other hand, sockets have 240v. What is the problem mate? Get us wisdom please.

Apr 8, 2020
Well figured I should update this thread as I know many have this issue. The testing and research we have been doing has been happening on other forums. I believe the cause is elevated EMF (or related to this). Another guy reported having the exact same objectionable currents on grounding conductors- water pipes). His thread is here: https://www.overclock.net/forum/375...g-input-de-synchronization-input-loss-20.html

If you do not think it is possible that electrical interference can cause these problems please do not bother to post. We do not have time to convince you, so do not waste yours or our time. Thanks. I appreciate folks chiming in that they too have concluded it is electrically caused. @kassas77 I have tried to measure my AC frequency and it is extremely steady 60hz.
Is it a pure sine wave ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS