Question Input-Lag in Full-screen Applications ?

mxritz

Reputable
Feb 2, 2019
Hey there (hopefully this is the right section to post this)!

As the title already says, I get the most annoying Input-Lag when I'm in a Fullscreen Application (mostly CS:GO, LOL and Valorant).

It feels like I'm not really in Fullscreen. For example, if I check the leaderboard or press ESC the mouse gets visible (this is normal ofc) HOWEVER I can move the mouse out of the window over to my second monitor (normally the mouse should stay in the Fullscreen Application). Also, Desktop Pop-Ups like someone messaging me on steam will instantly tab me out of the game and onto my Desktop (???????????????).

Both Keyboard Inputs and Mouse Inputs are a bit delayed, which makes competitive gaming unplayable. I have a 4k PC Setup and have an average of about 300+ fps in all listed games. The PC shouldn't be the problem.

SPECS:

RTX 3080TI MSI Suprim X
Intel i7 12700k
64GB DDR4 RAM
MAG Z690 TOMAHAWK Motherboard
Samsung SSD EVO 970 Pro (where I have my games installed on)
Samsung SSD PRO 980 500GB (OS is installed here)
NZXT Kraken Z73 RGB Watercooling
Seasonic PX-850 Power Supply

Keyboard: Steelseries Apex Pro
Mouse: Logitech G-PRO Superlight Wireless (100% certain its not the wireless mouse since I get the same input Lag with cable).
Display: AOC U34G2G1 100hz Ultrawide (Yes it's an ultrawide but I play most games in 1080p, same issue still occurs when playing in ultrawide resolution).

mxritz

Reputable
Feb 2, 2019
Hey there (I posted this thread yesterday in Display but maybe that was the wrong section so Ill try it again here)!

As the title already says, I get the most annoying Input-Lag when I'm in a Fullscreen Application (mostly CS:GO, LOL and Valorant).

It feels like I'm not really in Fullscreen. For example, if I check the leaderboard or press ESC the mouse gets visible (this is normal ofc) HOWEVER I can move the mouse out of the window over to my second monitor (normally the mouse should stay in the Fullscreen Application). Also, Desktop Pop-Ups like someone messaging me on steam will instantly tab me out of the game and onto my Desktop (???????????????).

Both Keyboard Inputs and Mouse Inputs are a bit delayed, which makes competitive gaming unplayable. I have a 4k PC Setup and have an average of about 300+ fps in all listed games. The PC shouldn't be the problem.

SPECS:

RTX 3080TI MSI Suprim X
Intel i7 12700k
64GB DDR4 RAM
MAG Z690 TOMAHAWK Motherboard
Samsung SSD EVO 970 Pro (where I have my games installed on)
Samsung SSD PRO 980 500GB (OS is installed here)
NZXT Kraken Z73 RGB Watercooling
Seasonic PX-850 Power Supply

Keyboard: Steelseries Apex Pro
Mouse: Logitech G-PRO Superlight Wireless (100% certain its not the wireless mouse since I get the same input Lag with cable).
Display: AOC U34G2G1 100hz Ultrawide (Yes it's an ultrawide but I play most games in 1080p, same issue still occurs when playing in ultrawide resolution).

The PC shouldn't be the problem.
Well the display shouldn't be the problem either, IF you are running it in low input lag mode, which you didn't specify.

AFAIK, RTINGS.com did a review on what appears to be the NA version of this display (CU34G2X), and in low input lag mode, it measured extremely low in input lag, well under 10 ms. HOWEVER, they were measuring lag in it's native res, not 1080p.

Have you by chance tried playing without being in a multi monitor setup to see if something is awry with your multi display setup?

I don't know a lot about multi display setups, as I've never used one, but it seems to me if the displays are linked as you implied, with the mouse cursor moving to the other one, the problem I suspect might be that the 2nd display is either not in low input lag mode, or is not even a low input lag display, This 2nd monitor is another thing you said nothing about.

Last edited:

mxritz

Reputable
Feb 2, 2019
Well the display shouldn't be the problem either, IF you are running it in low input lag mode, which you didn't specify.

AFAIK, RTINGS.com did a review on what appears to be the NA version of this display (CU34G2X), and in low input lag mode, it measured extremely low in input lag, well under 10 ms. HOWEVER, they were measuring lag in it's native res, not 1080p.

Have you by chance tried playing without being in a multi monitor setup to see if something is awry with your multi display setup?

I don't know a lot about multi display setups, as I've never used one, but it seems to me if the displays are linked as you implied, with the mouse cursor moving to the other one, the problem I suspect might be that the 2nd display is either not in low input lag mode, or is not even a low input lag display, This 2nd monitor is another thing you said nothing about.
Thank your for the reply!

What exactly do you mean by low input lag mode? The n-vidia setting (low latency mode)? Or a native setting on the monitor itself?

I have tried just using the main display without any other monitor connected to my pc and input lag is the same.

Do you think its possibly caused by OS? I'm running on Windows 11 22H2 (their newest update, but I've had the same problems on Windows 11 21H2 as well).

No, very doubtful this is caused by the OS. Most any modern monitor or especially TV that is made to be compatible with gaming has a mode that disables video processing, which is what causes such lag. It's typically called Game mode, but in this case, AOC calls it Low Input Lag mode.

Note, somewhere on your monitor there are likely settings buttons. Often times they are hard to see, but look on the lower front, sides, or even bottom edge. As far as I can tell from pictures of the CU34G2X on AOC's site, those buttons are on the lower right on the front of the bottom bezel.

The pdf manual of the CU34G2X (which again, is I assume the NA version of the same model) shows how to access the On Screen Display for settings adjustments via the Menu button [III], then use the right arrow button > to navigate to Game Setting. On the Game Setting page in the far left bottom corner of the OSD is Low Input Lag mode, you simply turn it on or off via left or right arrow buttons.

TiN5xIC.jpg

Last edited:

mxritz

Reputable
Feb 2, 2019
No, very doubtful this is caused by the OS. Most any modern monitor or especially TV that is made to be compatible with gaming has a mode that disables video processing, which is what causes such lag. It's typically called Game mode, but in this case, AOC calls it Low Input Lag mode.

Note, somewhere on your monitor there are likely settings buttons. Often times they are hard to see, but look on the lower front, sides, or even bottom edge. As far as I can tell from pictures of the CU34G2X on AOC's site, those buttons are on the lower right on the front of the bottom bezel.

The pdf manual of the CU34G2X (which again, is I assume the NA version of the same model) shows how to access the On Screen Display for settings adjustments via the Menu button [III], then use the right arrow button > to navigate to Game Setting. On the Game Setting page in the far left bottom corner of the OSD is Low Input Lag mode, you simply turn it on or off via left or right arrow buttons.

TiN5xIC.jpg
hmmm, I have that enabled so its not that :/

mxritz

Reputable
Feb 2, 2019
Can you upload a brief video showing this lag?

Also, have you checked or tried swapping your video cable the display is connected with?

It's not likely the PSU, as you have a pretty good one.
Yeah I've tried swapping ports on my gpu (it has 3 dp ports and 1 hdmi) and switching to an hdmi cable --> still same issue. I can try uploading a video - but I'm not sure if you will see anything since its not that heavy input lag (it's only noticable when playing competitively)

I'm not sure if you will see anything since its not that heavy input lag (it's only noticable when playing competitively)
To be honest, the reason I asked is I've numerous times seen complaints of lag, stutter, etc, only to find it's too minimal to be an issue when a vid of it is shown. So I'm sorry to say but I'm starting to think this is more about user aim reflexes than input lag.

To a degree, a decent gaming mouse and keyboard can improve input time, but after looking at your display specs and reviews on it, I think you've already got that part covered.

mxritz

Reputable
Feb 2, 2019
To be honest, the reason I asked is I've numerous times seen complaints of lag, stutter, etc, only to find it's too minimal to be an issue when a vid of it is shown. So I'm sorry to say but I'm starting to think this is more about user aim reflexes than input lag.

To a degree, a decent gaming mouse and keyboard can improve input time, but after looking at your display specs and reviews on it, I think you've already got that part covered.
there is definitly a noticeable delay when playing competitive games like csgo and it makes performing good at a high level impossible. its just not fun when you are trying to give your best, but you're being held back by computer issue

Last edited:

mxritz

Reputable
Feb 2, 2019
You u still have this problem? If u do, do u have that weird input lag on controller. I’m also experiencing the same thing

IF LOOKS COULD KILL, BABY IM THE FASHION DEEEEEMON.

nah but fr, I'm pretty sure I fixed it by coincidence. I flashed my motherboard with the newest drivers and that somehow disabled the "CPU Boost" Option, which was most likely causing this problem. I'm currently dealing with game-crashes / software and render crashes + Blue Screen of Death. But I'll gladly take that 1000000% over that disgusting input lag. Also haven't looked into that problem, I'm sure there is a way to fix it.

TLDR. If the option is available on your motherbaord, disable "CPU-Boost" in BIOS.