Input on my new system?

swompdonkey

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015
Hail...I'm back to building and welcome your feedback.

Le Link

My one question is regarding the wireless adapter. The last one I bought didn't fit. Once in the PCIe slot, the metal bracket that goes into the back of the PC didn't fit the slot...it was too long. Was it designed for a different type tower? ATX vs mATX?

Primary use for this PC is going to be autocad/photoshop/illustrator and revvit. Sometimes creating content in multiple apps at once. It was a tough call to go intel over Ryzen here, but as all those apps are single threaded I've pretty much landed on the i7700K. Feedback is welcome.

Concerning the bracket of the add-in card: there are basically two possible depths for a PC case, it can be full height, or it can be low profile. By what you indicate (the metal bracket being too long), your case is low profile, but you bought a full height card. Buy one that is "low profile " (or LP).

As for the CPU, i think you're wrong picking the 7700K, let me explain:

1.- You are picking the 7700K CPU: K means overclockeable, but in order to overclock you would need a motherboard with the Z170 or Z270 chipset (not B250). Instead of the 7700K, pick the 7700 (non-K) if you want that motherboard.
2.- While the 7700K is about 5-10% faster than Ryzen in singlethreaded workloads (sometimes not even that), if you do anything multithreaded any Ryzen 7 (8 cores) wipes the floor with the 7700K. I would rather risk a 5-10% penalty sometimes along a 60% advantage some other times, than the other way around. But that's just me :)

swompdonkey

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015
Considering the $30 difference between the two... I am going with the K I think for the higher base clock. If the difference were significant I would do exactly what you suggest. Also, I tried to consider multi thread performance, but honestly none of the apps she uses are optimized for it. In fact , most don't multithread at all. If she had like 6 apps open at once, then we might be onto something, but its pretty rare for her to do that. You've made me start waffling again though. Hah!

I will read the network card description more carefully next time. I probably missed the distinction.

swompdonkey

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015
I realize that the i7700K doesn't come with a cooler so add another $25 or so. Does it come with thermal past already like a non-K processor?