Inputting a used hard drive from another laptop

skittless

Prominent
Jan 13, 2018
My ASUS laptop had an impending hard drive error so I took the hard drive from a Toshiba laptop and inserted it into the ASUS laptop. It booted up properly after a couple tries, but on the second try it gave me a "WHEA uncorrectable error". After a little research, I found that incorrect drivers can cause this error. How do I check if the drivers are compatible and delete the incompatible ones?
(I'm using the ASUS right now to post this. I just don't want to get another error while I'm doing something important)
Thanks in advance guys! :)

Solution
Likely, windows 10 is using generic drivers on the laptop letting you boot.
Go to the asus site, download and install the drivers for the asus laptop.
No need to necessarily remove unused Toshiba drivers.

Right click on "this PC"
click on properties.
See if it says windows is activated.

skittless

Prominent
Jan 13, 2018

Hello! Well, it has booted up a couple times now with no issues. Both computers ran Windows 10, so I thought they would be compatible. I just wanted to know if there will be any errors in the future. Thanks for the response :)

USAFRet

Titan

When using a drive like this in a different system, there are 3 possible outcomes:

1. It boot s up and 'just works'
2. It fails completely
3. It boots up, but you find lingering issues later.

You're on #3.
Which OS is this? Licensing issues between the laptops also come into play.

skittless

Prominent
Jan 13, 2018

I'm using Windows 10. Also, what do you mean by Licensing issues? Sorry, a complete noob when it comes to computer tech. Thank you!

Likely, windows 10 is using generic drivers on the laptop letting you boot.
Go to the asus site, download and install the drivers for the asus laptop.
No need to necessarily remove unused Toshiba drivers.

Right click on "this PC"
click on properties.
See if it says windows is activated.

Solution

When you buy a laptop with Windows already installed (the usual way it's done) the copy of the Windows Operating System that is installed is licensed to be used on that Laptop only. This is called an OEM copy of the OS.
It cannot legally be transferred to another laptop except under special circumstances.
So taking the hard drive out of one laptop and putting it in another is a violation of that license.
Unless...you transfer it to another laptop which also has an OEM copy of the same version installed on its hard drive.
Technically this is wrong according to Microsoft but I doubt they would bother you about it.