Inquirer: Intel vs AMD multicore battle looms

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

randomizer

Champion

It couldn't have gone any other way.

LOL - what Randomizer said :).

I believe much of AMD's stock is held by institutional investors and I think they are speculating that with the UAE deal cash infusion, plus AMD spinning off part of the ATI purchase debt to GF, AMD may be well-positioned when the economy rebounds. In other words, it is only loosely correlated with the current strength of their product offerings, and probably reacts more to AMD press releases and design wins and roadmaps. But then I am no expert at analyzing the stock market - if I were, I'd be filthy rich and jetting around partying instead of posting here on Tom's :D.

Intel's stock has been rising pretty well lately too. Probably the investors want to get in near the perceived bottom so that they can ride the elevator as high as it'll go.

Ordinary investors who may have bailed out of the stock market after suffering huge losses may be jumping back in as well - there's an interesting article on MSN Money about how those investors are regretting getting out - buying high and selling low - and are determined to recoup their losses to the point of exercising poor judgment. OTOH, as the article goes on to state - bull markets usually start when things stink the worse:

Strangely enough, veterans will tell you this is actually how most bull cycles start: in disbelief and rage. You might think bear markets end when the economy begins to improve in a pervasive way and big companies start to report better earnings. But that's a fantasy, a children's fable. Just as bear markets begin when everything is great, bull markets begin when everything stinks.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/SuperModels/stocks-rising-on-a-raft-of-regrets.aspx

jennyh

Splendid

It's got plenty of room to go down. It was $2.00 8 weeks ago. Now it's almost scraping $4.00. It does seem to have an overall upward trend recently, I wonder why that is?

jennyh

Splendid
LOL - what Randomizer said :).

I believe much of AMD's stock is held by institutional investors and I think they are speculating that with the UAE deal cash infusion, plus AMD spinning off part of the ATI purchase debt to GF, AMD may be well-positioned when the economy rebounds. In other words, it is only loosely correlated with the current strength of their product offerings, and probably reacts more to AMD press releases and design wins and roadmaps. But then I am no expert at analyzing the stock market - if I were, I'd be filthy rich and jetting around partying instead of posting here on Tom's :D.

Well it's clear you are no expert at analyzing the stock market fazers, you've been banging the same drum over AMD's demise for the past year lol.

randomizer

Champion

Because $2 is already too low :kaola:

Because of the Global Foundry. That is until something else hits the fan like thier earnings report, or should I say loss?

I still think it will be near the end of this year before AMD makes it back in black again.

Hey never doubt the words of AMD. Just because they are using a similar approach to get a 12 core CPU doesn't mean Intel was right!!!!!!!!!!!

j/k

Really? Show me one post where I pulled a Sharikou and predicted AMD will "BK by Q2 2009" or something similar. Yes, I have pointed out AMD's financial weaknesses, but I have also stated that with the UAE bailout, AMD will have the $$ to compete at least until the end of this year. However, the foundry biz was the last piece AMD had to sell, unless they get rid of ATI, so that's pretty much it for cash infusions.

If you are equating today's stock price with a company's overall prognosis for survival, then I'd say you are fairly naive. As I said before, stock prices are only partly based on a company's current bottom line - a lot of it is speculation as to where they company may be in the near future, and a lot of it is just gambling that the price will rise or fall.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

I don't care if my next silicon die is made of real bread, as long as it has good performance, nobody really cares how the performance came to be (as long as it is power efficient too!)

LOL, yeah, I live!

I have good news. My wife and I (married for three years) decided we want to have kids. So we started trying... Let's just say unlike AMD, I don't shoot blanks. First try, no joke. So now my wife is pregnant for the first time! My wife calls me "One shot Scott".

Pregancy is awesome. Can't really say why here, but I think many of the older gents out there may know what I'm talking about.

If all goes well baby will be due in late December! WooHoo!

I shall name him\her "TechnologyCoordinator 2.0".

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

I agree. The Global Foundry is probably the only reason why AMD is still afloat at the moment, as well as the stock soared. In other words, without those sugar daddies from UAE, AMD is probably seeking to file Chap. 11 as well.

jed

Distinguished
May 21, 2004

It most certainly do prove intel was right, AMD can't talk about how bad
of an ideal it is to stack or glue two chip together, then do the same thing now it's alright. Where I come from my friend that's talking out of both
sides of your face.

Dekasav

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008

You should make sure his/her first word is "Chip" on teh forumz.

(or triple cripple!)

By the time TC Jnr is 13 kids will have implants in the skull plugging them straight into the matrix.

I'll be down in the drains in a submarine eating dog food I guess.

Jeez ... not much to look forward to.

Still ... at least I won't be getting used as an energizer battery.

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Congats, good news indeed TC!

I suggest you name the first "Core 1", the next "Core 2", etc...

This way when they're older and there's chores to be done - you can distibute the tasks evenly among all your cores.

I hope the yeild quality is high and you end up with a full speed unit with plenty of cache and it overclocks well (makes the olympics).

That's all a parent wants ... a healthy child (sucessful tapeout).

I hope the pregnancy goes well for mum too Scotty.