Question Inquiry about video memory

Ricky V

Commendable
Dec 31, 2016
Hello i have a Msi Gtx 1060 3gb graphics card. When im adjusting settings for my game it shows me that i only have 2500mb of Video memory to use even though i have a 3gb version. Is this normal, is the rest of the Video memory allocated else where?

Ricky V

Commendable
Dec 31, 2016
If you only see that in game settings it will probably be the amount of VRAM that's currently being used, not the total that is available.
I don't think that's what's happening because for example I recently played red dead redemption 2 and it gave me only 2500mb of vram to use for my graphical settings and It wouldn't allow me to choose settings that would make me go over the this set amount because it said that I don't have enough vram and that's what my problem is

Hello i have a Msi Gtx 1060 3gb graphics card. When im adjusting settings for my game it shows me that i only have 2500mb of Video memory to use even though i have a 3gb version. Is this normal, is the rest of the Video memory allocated else where?
Also if i choose a setting that uses more Vram than the given 2500 limit it doesnt allow me to use that setting (for example if i wanted textures to be on high) because its going over the limit.