Insane Amount of Problems with OS Install x79 Intel SATA/RAID Drivers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rekijitsu

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2008
All,

I've been searching everywhere to no avail, and I've had a lot of luck asking other questions here in the past... Potentially this could belong in the Motherboards forums, though, I don't think anything is wrong in that regard.

I have a new build I'm working on (far too much):

Intel i7 3930k
16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM
ASUS P9X79 Mobo
2x Intel 520 SSDs to be run in RAID 0 (plugged in to the Intel 6.0 SATA slots)
Nvidia GTX 680
etc.

To begin, I have updated my BIOS to the latest, Firmware on the SSDs was already at the latest, and set the drives to run RAID mode in the UEFI BIOS, then this allowed me to configure the drives in the Intel Storage Manager, nothing too new to me, I've done RAID 0 SSDs before, just not on x79. The drivers for x79's RAID Controller weren't around for Windows 7 SP1's release apparently, so upon booting from the DVD Drive, a prompt will display to install drivers for the SATA/RAID controller, drivers you can't swap CDs for but have to use a Flash Drive for.

The X79 uses a series of RSTe drivers, and the most recent one (that they haven't pulled), is the one I'm trying to use. I grabbed this from Intel's website, but I've tried tons of older (and pulled) versions of their c600 x79 SATA/RAID RSTe controller drivers, and it constantly tells me to check with my vendor for updated drivers.

So I tried dragging and dropping my files to a bootable partition HDD, where I can install Windows from the external hard drive (I didn't have a Flash Drive large enough, but it's configured the same way). For this, I put the same files onto the external, but added in the SATA/RAID drivers as well. Initially, I didn't know you had to press F6 to get the prompt to display for finding additional drivers when a partition is found (the external) that obviously can't be installed to. When I did this though, I had a different error, stating I could not use unsigned x64 Drivers. ARGH!

I suppose I might be close though... can anyone provide some insight as to what is happening here, and how I might be able to Bypass the check for unsigned drivers (I know they're correct and will work)? I think I could make a RT 7 Lite customized install, which I tried as well, and got yet ANOTHER problem, probably due to how I customized the image to include Boot Drivers that caused it to complain that required drivers, iaStorA.sys, the one in question here, were not found on the customized Windows 7 install and were required to even get to the point where I could load them by pressing F6 (or when it prompts me to).
So here I am, 10 hours and 1 hour of sleep later, trying to figure this out.

Thanks all.

Solution
I've used one of (2) Intel RSTE drivers, those listed on ASUS's site - http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_2011/P9X79/#download (Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology enterprise Driver Software V3.0.0.2003) and Intel's - http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20507&ProdId=2101&lang=eng (RSTE_3.0.0.3020_F6-Drivers.zip)

I really only recommend a Flash Drive install as I've posted in the link you referenced. It defiantly works, I'm running RAID on my ASUS X79. Further, I've seen folks have problems using both the Windows 7 DVD + Flash Drive, so I can only strongly recommend you go out and get a Flash Drive. I've only heard about folks creating a bootable Custom DVD and having success, but I've never attempted...

danielbostock

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
yep I get as far getting to windows boot manager and it throws up the message at me as it has for the last few times - windows failed to load because a critical system driver is missing or corrupt. I am going to run mem test to check my ram but I don't think that is is the issue but I will eliminate it anyway...

danielbostock

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
ok quick update - everything works fine when I run a 32bit os install. So it would seem there is something wrong with 64bit drivers in every single driver I have tried from intel! What the heck...

Follow the guide to the letter I posted above, and in addition read below i.e. running Memtest before installing the OS. In the guide I've even noted places where folks 'do their own thing' and it fails...

Sure post the picture but only after starting from scratch and following the guide to the letter e.g. use a FLASH DRIVE only on a NATIVE USB 2.0 port (you cannot use USB 3.0 ports).

danielbostock

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
Hey mate,

Ok I followed your instructions to the letter but as always it is stuffing up when I get to the install part of windows 7.

" To continue installation, use the Load Driver option to install 32-bit and signed 64-bit drivers. Installiong an unsigned 64-bit device driver is not supported and might result in an unusable windows installation. "

This is the message I get with every driver I have tried from current one to the first released one to asus drivers everything! The only versions that seem to be working are the 32bit versions?? What the heck???

I just don't get why it has to be so difficult intel have really screwed up with this board and chipset...

I dunno is there something I am doing wrong to get this message?

Thanks,
Daniel.

danielbostock

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
Ok so I got it working finally.

What I did was I selected an additional option - make all raid drives non raid (3rd option in the motherboards raid utility), I then re-created the raid array and then all good!

The drivers I installed were all correct and worked fine. Windows 8 installed perfectly and is running perfectly.

Thanks heaps for your support and help Jaquith!

panderaamon

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
well its nice (not really) to see that i'm not the first (or last) person with X79 win7 installtion problem.

My PC is :
Asus P9X79 Deluxe
Intel I7-3930K
2 x 128GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD's in Raid 0 (Intel 6.0 ports)
PNY Quadro 4000
1 x 1 TB WD Caviar Black
etc....

@jaquith i did everything you posted. i'm trying to download the RSTe driver from intel's page

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21754&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%20(64-bit)*&DownloadType=Drivers

and copying the files to my Windows 7 SP1 Boot USB but i'm still getting the "Not digitally signed" problem. I've disabled my 1TB WD CB and my DVD*RW by pulling out their sata cables but still no difference.

Anyone know how to disable "Not digitally signed" drivers problem in windows PE using BCDedit ??

or any other suggestions???

panderaamon

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
Warning ! Wall of Text Detected!

Here is the some up of my situation from start to finish :

Right now i've changed to the Marvell Sata Raid controller and its working slow as hell. Did a crystal disk mark and its around 300mb/s read/write which is awful. The controller is path to a PCIx1 (500mb/s) which is causing the problem.

The whole system setup is :

i7-3930k
Asus P9X79 Deluxe (Latest bios from asus)
2x OCZ Vertex 4 128GB SSD
1x WD Caviar Black 1TB
32 GB RAM

so from the start:

The 2 SSD's were configured as a single Raid 0 / 128K block from the Intel Raid Bios
The Intel Raid Bios is version 3.5.0.1005 it says it the enterprise edition
I've tried the drivers from the Asus DVD and from the Asus Website
I've tried the drivers (the ones that i could find) from Intel's web page.
I've done the MemTest+ tests and there seems to be no problem
I've tried using a USB and/or a dvd to install W7 and no luck.
I cannot see which driver version comes from the Asus DVD

The drivers i've tried from the Asus site were:

Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver software V11.7.0.1030 for Windows 7/8 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL)
Intel Rapid Storage Technology enterprise driver software V3.6.0.1093 for Windows Vista/7/8 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL)
Intel Rapid Storage Technology enterprise driver software V3.2.0.1126 for Windows 64bit XP & 32/64bit Vista & 32/64bit 7.(WHQL)

non of these worked. Win7 install kept giving the "non digitally signed driver" problem.

I was very hopefull about the first one cause its release date was 03/05/2013 (yesterday)

i cant remember the ones i've tried from the intel site

Right now i've installed Win7 because the raid 0 sits over the marvel controller. There seems to be no problems with the other components. Its just that damned Intel Raid Driver that is giving the problem. I'm running some benchtests to see if the CPU overheats and stuff (the SSD benchs are awfuli the quadro 4000 is overheating a bit but thats normal.) if im able, i wanna go back to using the intel Raid Controller but i dont know how....

panderaamon

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
Ok here's an update if anyone is still interested.

I've extracted all the files for the Intel Raid drivers from the Asus DVD and put em on a flash drive that also contains the Win7 installation files. Reverted the SSD's back to the Intel Sata III controller and started installing from there. One of the 32bit drivers started working, i'm now installing from the USB to the SSD Raid 0. (fingers crossed) Will bump with results.

Ignore it and continue.

Again, everything (OS + Intel RSTE drivers) on the same Flash Drive including the RAID drivers unziped and ready, BIOS set Intel SATA3 Ports -> RAID, Set up your RAID 0 in Intel ROM (Ctrl + I), only use the Intel SATA 3 ports (best to use ports 1 & 2.

Next, launch Windows installer the RAID 0 SSD's (target) should be invisible, Load Intel RSTE drivers, SSD's should 'now' appear, IF unsigned stuff comes up continue, install the OS.

Sam66er

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013
Successfully raid 0 two SSD EVO 840 250 GB on X79 platform RIVBE 4930k.

It take me a few day to raid 0 this two SSD on X79 platform. Indeed it have lot of insane problem. And eventually it get through and the way is to follow exactly Jaquith only way to raid 0 from step 1 to the end without missing anything of his procedure and not add in more own self procedure. And the end part is to try a few more time when you encounter "non digitally signed driver" load the driver agian and agian and again then from the possible driver to not possible 32 bit driver also try and load it again and again and finally the ssd Raid 0 done and comfirmed raid 0 by jaquith way

That is insane answer to solve this problem and the reason behind it is really insanely unknown. but do remember to format ssd to factory setting bef doing it .

Sam66er

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013
Just follow the step given and if the message prompt to load a 32bit sign with 64 bit driver . Ignore it and continue install window . Then installl rste solfware controller . And it is done.

Mostly plp encountered the message of 32 bit sign 64 bit driver , they discontinue the installation. And unable to raid x79.