[SOLVED] Insane GTA V lag on decent PC

Richard_268

Honorable
Jul 6, 2017
I have a GTX 1060 6GB, i3-8100 and 8GB of RAM. I am using these settings, but not getting anywhere near the same FPS with nearly the same specs. I get a bunch of stuttering and around 25 FPS which occasionally goes up to 50. I don't think my game is meant to be lagging like this because it is on my SSD. Any way to fix this?

Solution
well...

even though you may have similar specs to that video... you don't specify exactly which card you are using. the card the video uploader is using is designed to run at higher speeds than reference cards. reference cards being what you would get if you bought directly from ATI/Nvidia.

you don't specify your exact RAM config. if it is 1x8GB or 2x4GB. the earlier won't perform as well as the latter. either way, 8GB isn't a lot of RAM. it is also possible the video user has better performing RAM.

you also don't specify your OS. the performance difference between Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 is pretty damn huge. like night and day. hell... same can said to be true of earlier versions of Windows 10 and the newest... so, if you are...

Richard_268

Honorable
Jul 6, 2017
Last edited:

swineadam

Commendable
Jun 21, 2018
this appears to be driver related, but can't be certain. other people are experiencing similar issue with other games too. and what i see is GPU 0 - Copy.

some people have reported fixing this by using DDU to clean out the drivers and fresh install them. i would use the latest driver version.

another possibility is that the game is using the iGPU. if you have that enabled, i would try disabling it.

other than that, i don't know. hopefully others will have some more advice. :(

Richard_268

Honorable
Jul 6, 2017
this appears to be driver related, but can't be certain. other people are experiencing similar issue with other games too. and what i see is GPU 0 - Copy.

some people have reported fixing this by using DDU to clean out the drivers and fresh install them. i would use the latest driver version.

another possibility is that the game is using the iGPU. if you have that enabled, i would try disabling it.

other than that, i don't know. hopefully others will have some more advice. :(
I cleaned out my GPU drivers with DDU and used Nvidia GeForce Experience to install new updated drivers, still not fixing the problem. How do I see if the game is using iGPU?

View: https://imgur.com/crJDA2t
(updated screenshot with updated drivers)

EDIT: I figured out how to turn off iGPU (within the BIOS) but still the same low GPU usage. Anything else which may work?

Last edited:

swineadam

Commendable
Jun 21, 2018
well...

even though you may have similar specs to that video... you don't specify exactly which card you are using. the card the video uploader is using is designed to run at higher speeds than reference cards. reference cards being what you would get if you bought directly from ATI/Nvidia.

you don't specify your exact RAM config. if it is 1x8GB or 2x4GB. the earlier won't perform as well as the latter. either way, 8GB isn't a lot of RAM. it is also possible the video user has better performing RAM.

you also don't specify your OS. the performance difference between Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 is pretty damn huge. like night and day. hell... same can said to be true of earlier versions of Windows 10 and the newest... so, if you are still on 1803, it would be worth updating or performing a clean install.

(be sure to get all your drivers before re-installing Windows. go to your motherboard manufacturer for most of the drivers. and get the rest for any additional components installed beyond the motherboard, like your graphics card, from the appropriate website(s).)

you also seem to be using a particularly wide resolution, or extended desktop. not all that good for gaming in general due to compatibility purposes, and even less so with lower specs due to performance reasons.

now, with all that being said... when comparing your screenshots to that video, i see CPU utilization looks comparable. chances are... while you may believe you have very similar specs to that YouTube poster, chances are you might have a few parts that don't perform as well as theirs.

unless you are willing to sacrifice quite a bit on graphics, and maybe lower your resolution, for 60FPS... you may just have to settle for 30~45 FPS.

in the end, the only other responses around the internet about "GPU 0 - Copy" are suggesting it is just a visual error. it is hard to say if that applies to you or not.

the only further thing i can suggest to help improve your situation...

you could try the driver thing again...
here is a post that may or may not help > https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/discover/287901/gpu-0-copy/
try using driver version 436.15. but do be warned, that version won't play the newest games too well. it won't play Borderlands 3 without eventually crashing, and so-on.

i would still use DDU to cleanup before installing the driver.

other than that...

lower your desktop resolution to something standard. like 1920x1080(1080p). might even try lower. if enabled, disable multi-display.

adjust your GTA V graphical options as follows...
disable both MSAA options.
reflection, particles, water and grass set to "High"
post FX "High", or lower.

soft shadows set to Sharp or something else based on personal preference. personally... i find the NVIDIA option for that to be a bit buggy and prefer Sharp.

depth of field is mostly personal preference too, but you could disable it.

Tessellation is nice, but it can be difficult to tell the difference between "High" and "Very High" without side-by-side comparisons.

you might try lowering other options down to "High".

ALSO, if you do manage finding yourself getting 30+ FPS... download nvidiaprofileinspector. with it, find the profile for Grand Theft Auto V. use the frame rate limiter using the V2. if you see a second option, set it to allow all. be sure to hit Apply before exiting.

sorry, but i don't know what else to suggest :( the last thing i can think of is your Windows. post your version and build. find this by running winver.

EDIT : one last thing i can think of... did you buy your graphics card used? even if not, you could still have a bad unit. this is always a possibility.

and, as others would also suggest... it also possible your PSU is either not sufficient enough, or is faulty.

Last edited:
Solution