Question Insane issue with built-in mic for laptop

Jul 25, 2019
Hello.

I just registered on this forum for the sole purpose of asking for help, because this problem is way beyond my standard tech savvy.

Basically my computer, a laptop with w7 64, has a microphone, a webcam and of course a mouse, all built in. I need these 3 items for work.

1. This is not a common "duh" moment, i've tried everything from drivers to volume levels and show all devices on Sound/record. I've tested every single one of them in all the ways obviously available.

2. In Sound/record i have only 3 devices: stereo mix, entry line and what i assume is my built-in mic (says Atapi connector internal on properties)

3. I can't make the green bars that represent the recording levels move, of course when i try to record, the resulting audio file only plays wind (i don't know if this is the word, i'm not a native english speaker), as it would when the recording levels are low (they're not).

Interesting notes:

- This one is a little crazy. When i set the microphone to play through my laptop's speakers i CAN make the bars move, particularly, i can hear my own clicks! And if i hit the laptop's case with my fingernails the bars move as well, but when i hit or talk to the actual microphone located near my webcam nothing happens. This means that the laptop seems to be recording from somewhere inside near my built-in mouse and the left USB ports.

- This one is completely insane. If a plug my earbuds to the mic entry and set them as microphone, the earbud's right case (one of the two parts that usually play sound) actually functions AS A MICROPHONE. It picks up sound through a tiny hole located on the earbud's case (i repeat, this is the one of the two parts that play your music, what goes into your ears).

I dont know if these two are related to the problem but i just described what i've learned myself.

Seriously, please help.

D

Deleted member 2449024

Hello.

I just registered on this forum for the sole purpose of asking for help, because this problem is way beyond my standard tech savvy.

Basically my computer, a laptop with w7 64, has a microphone, a webcam and of course a mouse, all built in. I need these 3 items for work.

1. This is not a common "duh" moment, i've tried everything from drivers to volume levels and show all devices on Sound/record. I've tested every single one of them in all the ways obviously available.

2. In Sound/record i have only 3 devices: stereo mix, entry line and what i assume is my built-in mic (says Atapi connector internal on properties)

3. I can't make the green bars that represent the recording levels move, of course when i try to record, the resulting audio file only plays wind (i don't know if this is the word, i'm not a native english speaker), as it would when the recording levels are low (they're not).

Interesting notes:

- This one is a little crazy. When i set the microphone to play through my laptop's speakers i CAN make the bars move, particularly, i can hear my own clicks! And if i hit the laptop's case with my fingernails the bars move as well, but when i hit or talk to the actual microphone located near my webcam nothing happens. This means that the laptop seems to be recording from somewhere inside near my built-in mouse and the left USB ports.

- This one is completely insane. If a plug my earbuds to the mic entry and set them as microphone, the earbud's right case (one of the two parts that usually play sound) actually functions AS A MICROPHONE. It picks up sound through a tiny hole located on the earbud's case (i repeat, this is the one of the two parts that play your music, what goes into your ears).

I dont know if these two are related to the problem but i just described what i've learned myself.

Seriously, please help.

Just try reinstalling Windows, maybe that will help.