Insane temperature on my OLD GPU

nrsaShubham

Commendable
Aug 3, 2017
Recently i build my New RYZEN 1600 PC using my very old gpu AMD HD6450 2 gb ddr3...i only can change it if it is die automatically (family order...LOL)..So i am using it but it is giving insane temperatures..it was silent version (but now i am running it without heat sink because one leg of heat sink is broken i tried to fix heat sink using cable ties but it is giving more temperature with heat sink i think it is not properly fixed so i removed heat sink because in my cpu case there are a fan which in front of gpu throwing air directly on gpu) ...without load it is working on 80-85 degree CELCIUS and if i increase load slightly it goes to 112 degree celcius..After 112 it is not increased..I tried FURmark for 30 minutes and max temperature i get is 112 C...yes it is not gaming gpu..but it can run some old games ( COD series) at decent FPS at medium setting like I am getting 40-45 FPS for COD mw3..But when it touch 112 ..the graphics started lagging..i dont know what to do..i am surprised at 112 degree why it is not frying...or give me any suggestion to control the temperature..

MY PC
Ryzen 5 1600
Corsair LPX 8 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz
MSI TOMAHAWK B350
CORSAIR VS550 w
AMD HD 6450 2GB ddr3 ( want to change)
120 GB samsung evo 750 SSD
1 TB WD Cavier blue
2 front fan(pull) 1 back fan

Solution
The most common GPU heatsink bolt patterns are 55mm square or 43mm square. The cheapo cards with smaller GPU chips tend to use 43mm like yours. Note 43mm x 43mm is 61mm diagonally if your card only has 2 holes for some reason like the Silent ASUS (the Sapphire has 4 holes in the card but not the heatsink).

It's definitely not worth ordering an $8 heatsink for a card that's only worth $5. Any electronics recycling place is going to have plenty of heatsinks or dead cards with suitably sized heatsinks for 50 cents to $1. If you don't have such a place nearby then you could buy a cheap card on Craigslist without worrying if it actually works--if it doesn't then at least you have a heatsink that fits! On my own HD6450 I use a...

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
Well with temps like that it won't last long. You could try to re-apply some thermal paste but that requires talking the heat sink of the graphics card and their is some risk you'll damage it in the process. If it has to die before getting replaced either run it hard or try your luck at changing the paste. Best of luck!!

nrsaShubham

Commendable
Aug 3, 2017

I tried replacing thermal paste...tried to fix heat sink again...but temperatures are same...even i am using it at same temperature in my old PC too...i am running it as hard as i can but it is running at this 112 C from 6-7 months...without damage......

112C is throttling temperatures. Won't burn up but reduces performance to hold that temperature, and is all you can expect for running without a heatsink. The card when running properly is slower than a modern IGP.

Passive HD6450 cards are usually the slower clocked 18w models instead of the full speed 27w ones, but even at 18w requires a surprisingly large passive heatsink to work unless the case has a lot of airflow. Dell had an infamous OEM single-slot red vapor chamber heatsink HD6450 that puffed up and broke many cards under warranty, and that sounds like yours.
hNwJbYQl.jpg

Fortunately the small AMD bolt pattern is used on many cards (even many low-end nVidia ones!) so it should be easy to find a replacement heatsink for cheap.

nrsaShubham

Commendable
Aug 3, 2017

Can u plz send some links for heat sinks...my gpu is Sapphire HD 6450..it has smallaer heat sink compare to your shared pic...and has only 2 legs for fixing it on GPU

The most common GPU heatsink bolt patterns are 55mm square or 43mm square. The cheapo cards with smaller GPU chips tend to use 43mm like yours. Note 43mm x 43mm is 61mm diagonally if your card only has 2 holes for some reason like the Silent ASUS (the Sapphire has 4 holes in the card but not the heatsink).

It's definitely not worth ordering an $8 heatsink for a card that's only worth $5. Any electronics recycling place is going to have plenty of heatsinks or dead cards with suitably sized heatsinks for 50 cents to $1. If you don't have such a place nearby then you could buy a cheap card on Craigslist without worrying if it actually works--if it doesn't then at least you have a heatsink that fits! On my own HD6450 I use a passive heatsink from a busted ASUS GT520 Silent, as the GT210 version would've needed a little grinding to clear an inductor/choke.

As it is, I'm wondering what's stopping you from just drilling out the broken leg and using a screw and nut, if it's not a vapor chamber or deformed. The Sapphire doesn't even look like it uses metal legs--only plastic push-pins so you wouldn't need to drill anything. Look at it this way--if it gets screwed up, that meets your family's condition, right?

It's not likely to die on its own as it can throttle itself, and will even shut itself off if the temperature gets too high.

Solution

nrsaShubham

Commendable
Aug 3, 2017

It is not dying itself thats the main problem..but i also dont want to cheat for burning it .. i have enough money to buy gtx 1060 6 gb...but i am not allowed till it died...ok i will try to fix heatsink than..Thank u