[SOLVED] Insanely high core speed?

Solution
Read some reviews or overclocking articles about Ryzen 3k. The message has been pretty clear and consistent from the beginning.

Max all core OC achievable is typically a couple hundred MHz less than stock max boost clock, and usually not a whole lot higher than stock all core turbo. So you basically sacrifice a bit of lightly threaded performance to gain a bit of heavily threaded performance.

So there's little performance difference overall, and gaming performance may actually be reduced slightly.

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
Well it's certainly not running at 12604 MHZ that is for sure!

I use HWinfo64 to monitor my hardware as it is very accurate.

These Ryzen 3000 series chips are exceptionally well optimized by AMD and it is hard to squeeze anymore performance out of them beyond using PBO.

Andy

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Manual overclocking on Ryzen 3000 is largely pointless (and often detrimental to lightly threaded performance). You're likely better off leaving it at stock, or playing around with PBO and/or auto-OC (which can improve performance slightly in some cases).

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
Manual overclocking on Ryzen 3000 is largely pointless (and often detrimental to lightly threaded performance). You're likely better off leaving it at stock, or playing around with PBO and/or auto-OC (which can improve performance slightly in some cases).

:(

How is it pointless? I thought overclocking anything increases something like performance? If it was pointless, would overclocking even exist? Just wondering...

Currently I'm at 4.25 GHz @ 1.325 Volts. I don't think this is bad whatsoever with a Hyper 612 Evo V2.

I don't know, I've been overclocking for a while... not sure why I would not do the same with a Ryzen 3000

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Read some reviews or overclocking articles about Ryzen 3k. The message has been pretty clear and consistent from the beginning.

Max all core OC achievable is typically a couple hundred MHz less than stock max boost clock, and usually not a whole lot higher than stock all core turbo. So you basically sacrifice a bit of lightly threaded performance to gain a bit of heavily threaded performance.

So there's little performance difference overall, and gaming performance may actually be reduced slightly.

Solution