Inside-Out Position Tracking Software For VR, AR Device OEMs: Eonite Announces Vantage Head Tracker

Status
Not open for further replies.

problematiq

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015
That's funny, I was just thinking about this on my way to work this morning. "why don't they use multiple camera's and track movement for positional tracking." I didn't think about latency, but it appears that's not a problem.

problematiq

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015
One problem I could forsee, How do you tell the device where position x-0 y-0 z-0 is? You can track position by movement, but can you track/reset your starting position?

I suppose you could put a sticker on the wall.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
This is functionally equivalent to Google's Tango, MS' Hololens, and whatever Intel is using for their AR/MR HMD. Not to say it's not faster, more accurate, or doesn't do more. But, the core functionality is the same.

BTW, it's no coincidence they didn't demo this in a room with blank, white walls. I'm sure the bookshelf was there to aid tracking.

The origin is arbitrary. What's important is that the device maintains a stable coordinate frame. If you want to map a different point as the origin, that's just a simple transform you can apply to the pose determined by their SLAM system.

Think of it like this: if you want to tell the app "treat this as the home position", it can take the pose (position + orientation) and simply offset all future pose readings by that amount.

problematiq

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015

It becomes a problem when you boot the device while looking at anything less than level elevation. Then your home position then becomes off canter.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I don't follow.

For one thing, these systems can usually detect the ground plane (and a lot of IMUs seem to have magnetometers, which also help detect orientation). If they wanted it to auto-level, they certainly could.

problematiq

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015

You're talking about the ability to sense what is level solely based on a Kinect sensor. the HMD's themselves cannot necessarily tell what is level and what is not. Some have a level sensor, sure. But other HMD's rely on external camera's/lasers to tell the HMD where it is and where it is pointing.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
From the article:
Eonite’s Vantage Head Tracker technology combines depth information from embedded cameras and internal IMU sensors to track your headset’s position in 3D space.
If the IMU has a 3-axis magnetometer, then it can trivially get orientation. Otherwise, it has to rely on ground plane detection. That should work well enough, for most cases.

problematiq

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015

BAH! it has been a long time since I read the article. You are correct sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.