Insolent dot matrix printer

When my old Panasonic KX-P1180 dot matrix starts printing it seems to
have a mind of its own. When I hit Cancel it ignores me. Pause is
ignored as well. Short of a sledehammer there seems to be no way of
stopping this beast from stopping/pausing/cancelling, other than turning
off the power. There must be a better way.

Printer cache in the old printers, nice feature.

Frank W. wrote:

> When my old Panasonic KX-P1180 dot matrix starts printing it seems to
> have a mind of its own. When I hit Cancel it ignores me. Pause is
> ignored as well. Short of a sledehammer there seems to be no way of
> stopping this beast from stopping/pausing/cancelling, other than turning
> off the power. There must be a better way.

>> When my old Panasonic KX-P1180 dot matrix starts printing it seems to
>> have a mind of its own. When I hit Cancel it ignores me. Pause is
>> ignored as well. Short of a sledehammer there seems to be no way of
>> stopping this beast from stopping/pausing/cancelling, other than
>> turning off the power. There must be a better way.
>
> Printer cache in the old printers, nice feature.

Not so nice when you want the thing to cease and desist! Is there any
way of overriding this and wrestling control away from it? In short,
when I say stop, it would be nice if it stopped. Is this possible?

Frank W. <reply_to_newsgroup@please.ccom> wrote:
>>> When my old Panasonic KX-P1180 dot matrix starts printing it seems to
>>> have a mind of its own. When I hit Cancel it ignores me. Pause is
>>> ignored as well. Short of a sledehammer there seems to be no way of
>>> stopping this beast from stopping/pausing/cancelling, other than
>>> turning off the power. There must be a better way.
>>
>> Printer cache in the old printers, nice feature.

> Not so nice when you want the thing to cease and desist! Is there any
> way of overriding this and wrestling control away from it? In short,
> when I say stop, it would be nice if it stopped. Is this possible?

I think this is only possible by maipulating the printer controls. The
manual for my KX-P1123 says:

Receive Buffer Clear Function

This function allows you to clear the receive buffer (information recently
sent from the computer and is currently printing).

1. Press the ON LINE switch to stop the printing and enter the off line
mode.

2. Press the LF switch while pressing the FUNCTION switch to clear the
data in the receive buffer.

Your printer may be similar.

--
Gary L. Smith gls432@yahoo.com
Columbus, Ohio

> 1. Press the ON LINE switch to stop the printing and enter the off
line mode.
> 2. Press the LF switch while pressing the FUNCTION switch to clear the
data in the receive buffer.

> Your printer may be similar.

My Online button does indeed stop the printing. But as soon as it goes
back "online" it resumes the printing job even though I cancelled it
long ago.

>> 1. Press the ON LINE switch to stop the printing and enter the off
> line mode.
>> 2. Press the LF switch while pressing the FUNCTION switch to clear the
> data in the receive buffer.
>>
>> Your printer may be similar.

> My Online button does indeed stop the printing. But as soon as it goes
> back "online" it resumes the printing job even though I cancelled it
> long ago.

It's actually the FUNCTION+LF combination that clears the buffer on my
printer. If that doesn't work for you, a power-off and power-on may be
the only way to do it.