[SOLVED] Inspiron 3668 automatically turns on when plugged into any outlet ?

BlueGhost82

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2013
Hello!
I am currently working with a Dell Inspiron 3668 desktop that automatically powers on when plugged in.

Once first plugged in, the system will do several power cycles and then will finally post. The systems time and date is reset every time this happens. The system will run forever with no issues after initially being plugged in and set time and date.

Fixes I have tried:

• 4 passes on memtest which test good
  • Bios update to latest version 1.18.0
  • Setting the AC recovery option in the bios to "On"
  • Resetting the CMOS with the jumper
  • Installing a new CR2032 battery
  • Removing other devices such as Wifi chip and CD drive
  • Tried different RAM configurations

I have not tried ordering a new power supply or motherboard as im not entirely sure if either one is bad. The system will run forever with no issues at all after the power cycles. The issue only occurs when unplugged and plugged back in. Im nervous to order a power supply and end up having to get a board after that and would like to just solve the issue with one shot. Green light stays on on the power supply (Which may really mean nothing and could still be bad) any help at all would be appreciated! As always you guys are awesome and have always been really helpful with issues I could not find out so I sincerely appreciate you guys :)

Solution
More then likely with the bios battery being dead when you turn off the computer it resets the bios every time so it has to run checks before booting.

We have Optiplex's at work and i know there is a option in the bios when the PSU sees power for the first time it powers the computer on. Optiplex's are more of a office computer so its setup so if you loose power to the building they will auto startup when power is restored. There may be an option in the bios for the Inspiron that you can turn off.

Lutfij

Titan
The systems time and date is reset every time this happens
You might want to replace the CMOS battery with a fresh cell.

Relocate the system to another wall outlet and see if the issue persists. Take the system over to a friend or neighbors house to rule out your home having a wiring/electrical issue. Considering the connectors on the board/PSU are proprietary, that will cost you a pretty penny and is not exactly found off the shelf(at a tech store).

Last edited:
More then likely with the bios battery being dead when you turn off the computer it resets the bios every time so it has to run checks before booting.

We have Optiplex's at work and i know there is a option in the bios when the PSU sees power for the first time it powers the computer on. Optiplex's are more of a office computer so its setup so if you loose power to the building they will auto startup when power is restored. There may be an option in the bios for the Inspiron that you can turn off.

Solution