Inspiron 530, GTX 1050 Ti, installation issues

Seth Valentine

Commendable
Jul 26, 2016
I've recently purchased a gtx 1050ti to replace my old ati 4850, I attempted to install it however once I boot it up it shows me the bios splash screen, then it beeps once as if it were a normal boot however after loading the screen goes black for a few seconds and then it displays the bios splash screen once again and it beeps again before going black, and so on and so forth until I shut it down, I tried to solve the problem myself and read that it may be due to the bios being out of date but my bios is already up to date at version 1.0.18. I've been told it might be a psu related problem as the 530 doesn't have a psu that can support a card like this however I replaced the 530's psu with an antect earthwatts 650w psu so it can't be that, I think, either way I'm out of ideas so here I am now asking the good people here for help so thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

The card in question: https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Support-Graphics-04G-P4-6253-KR/dp/B01MF7EQJZ/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1536600131&sr=1-2&keywords=gtx+1050ti

Some of these cards have issues with an older bios, due to being designed for UEFI bios rather than the older legacy bios. You can look into whether your computer bios has some kind of 'secure boot' or 'csm' or 'compatibility mode' settings to experiment with.

Another possible issue is some pre-built computer motherboards put out less than 75W on the pci-ex x16 slot. So if you install a 75W card that requires no 6 pin connector, then it'll try to draw all 75W from that slot. If your motherboard only puts out 35W, the card won't work.

You were powering a 4850, which leads me to think that it used a 6 pin, which means it's possible it worked because it got from the 6 pin all the power it needed that the slot couldn't provide. If that 1050 Ti does not use a 6 pin, then you might have problems even though it technically requires less power than the 4850.

Seth Valentine

Commendable
Jul 26, 2016

First of all thank you for taking the time to read and reply to my post; I just checked and my computer's bios is an older legacy bios so I can't disable "secure boot" or anything of the sort as it is not there, however I think it just might be due to the PCIs slot's lackluster power output and the 1050ti's lack of a 6 pin connector so I'm gonna return my single fan 1050ti and change it for one that requires a 6pin connector and see if that works, will report in about a week.

Edit: Would I still get the bios splash screen if it was due to the PCIe slot not supplying enough power for the card? While trying to install the card and failing to do so I would just give up and put my old gpu back in and sometimes I would forget to plug in the 6 pin connector and all I would get is a warning on my screen on red text telling me to connect it, however that does not happen with the 1050ti.